Author Topic: Retro Game Master: Super Fantasy Zone  (Read 4798 times)

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
Retro Game Master: Super Fantasy Zone
« on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:09 pm »
Kotaku is now repackaging episodes of the Japanese show Game Center CX, and this week they're featuring Super Fantasy Zone.

It's a fun show, with quirky personalities, and I love how the main guy typically needs help from his underlings to tackle classic game design challenges. It's not particularly fast-paced, but worth watching on a rainy or lazy day.

Game Info:

Super Fantasy Zone was developed by Sunsoft, published by SEGA, and originated on the Mega Drive/Genesis. The main character Opa-Opa can be considered SEGA's first mascot character. Space Harrier even takes place in the Fantasy Zone "universe."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Retro Game Master: Super Fantasy Zone
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:08:00 am »
Finally got around to watching it! It's a fun show, though I'm lost on certain references to japanese pop culture.

Tomorrow's show is Bonanza Bros! I'm totally checking that one out day of. Love the BB's!

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:11:19 pm »
I hadn't heard of this show before, but read a bit about it after watching the couple of episodes shown on Kotaku recently.  There's relatively few Sega games in the series so it's cool that we're seeing a couple in a row.  There's something really enjoyable about watching someone else play games and seeing their reactions... it helps that the Kacho has a pleasant personality, as opposed to the myriad gameplay videos on Youtube where you just wish the person doing it would shut up.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:34:58 pm »
Damn! Reading wikipedia, they made a load of episodes! And kotaku are skipping quite a few of them. Good thing is, Sonic the Hedgehog was the premiere of season nine! I'm certain kotaku will play that one at some point.

I like the Mystery Science Theater sort of premise too. He is an employee for a fictional company and is assisted by interns and staff members. lol. One of the Japanese DVD sets even contained fake stock certificates for the company.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 05:49:24 am »
I never even knew there was a fantasy zone on the mega drive. I feel ashamed

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 07:31:52 am »
The Bonanza Bros. episode is up!
http://kotaku.com/retro-game-master/

After watching Super Fantasy Zone, the game looks hard as balls!

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 02:15:35 pm »
I'd never really checked out Bonanza Bros. before... very interesting art direction.  I love the little nods to other Sega titles in it... I spotted a framed image of the Revenge of Shinobi title screen, and an Opa-Opa in the museum level.

Did Super Fantasy Zone come out in the West?  I don't remember ever seeing it.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 02:44:50 pm »

I don't think so, I can't find a Genesis version online. I got into Bonanza Bros. via emulator and collections, never played the original cart. Watching the Game Master episode, it looks damn hard but has loads of homages (as mentioned) and I like all the little stealth moves like disguising oneself like a robot.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 04:23:01 pm »

Europe got it, the only US release was much later on Wii Virtual Console.