Author Topic: Wanna be pissed off?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Wanna be pissed off?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »
Well, now I know why nobody takes VGChartz seriously. What a completely missinformed article from someone that clearly doesn't know anything about Sonic games...

Everyones so busy trying to pin point whats so wrong with Sonic games but none of them seem to have ever known what was right about them in the first place.

The classics were more like tech demos than quality platformers? Point me to a platformer of the era that had more complex level designs or physics...
Made by SEGA

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:34:24 pm »
I'm usually always pissed off or something, but I dunno if this pisses me off so much as make me groan.

However, as the upcoming Sonic Generations is showing, SEGA still thinks that they can continue to rely on Sonic's nostalgia for success. That may work in the short term, but it won't for long.

Generations is a game meant to celebrate the series' 20 year history, that's kind of the point.

The only reason for Sonic's birth was to exist as a competitor to Mario and Nintendo, as well as use his speed to sell the power of the Genesis and the now infamous "blast processing".

That's one reason he was created at least.

The early Sonic games were good, sure, but they were more tech demos than quality platforming.

Care to explain? (although I do remember some people were mentioning how the platforming of the early games was pretty basic)

Yet for some reason, most of Sonic's recent games have focused on the gameplay introduced in Sonic Adventure, yet with worsening results every time.

I don't really agree with this considering that most of the 3D games afterwards have quite a few major differences from the original Adventure.

Without the veil of nostalgia to cover up the older games' flaws, we were more aware of the many problems that the old style of gameplay had.

What? Sonic 4's physics are very different from the originals.

They need to abandon the Adventure style of gameplay and find something that DOES work.

Or they could also find a way to make the Adventure style of gameplay work well.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:25:37 am »
This is one hell of a retarted article

Offline Ben

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 02:37:14 am »
I love how they say Sonic Generations looks like the "worst of both worlds." WTF?

Haha normally I don't bash opinion pieces but dayum......

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Loving Life
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 04:10:55 am »
"If they do continue to stick with the 2D gameplay, they need to refine it so that it has more depth than just running really, really fast (let's face it, that's all 2D Sonic has going for it). "

Nope. Makes me wonder if this guy has played any of the 2D Sonic games.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 06:28:59 am »
You know, I do gotta give them that all they've been trying to do recently is emulate the classic gameplay and allthough they came far, they still haven't succeeded in doing so. vgchartz makes a good point there Cosmic. It would've been great if they actually "refined" the gameplay because there were even flaws in the classics themselves. Instead they are struggling to get on par with what they've set 20 years ago. The classics aren't perfect and what we're getting is even less perfect while instead they should be striving for better.

I do wanna add  that sonic was not just about running fast alone ever. I guess we gotta thank the more recent games for giving people that impression.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:52:42 am by CrazyTails »