Author Topic: Highlights In Sega gaming history (a Segabits fan personal glory)  (Read 4241 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
As Sega gamers were use to seeing great marks in Sega gaming history bercause usually it is something that ends up becoming a hightlight in videro gaming history overall, since Sega is and hopefully always will be the first to do something whether its an innovation in video games or hardware.

But what was your highlight in Sega's history since you've been a Sega fan? Was it when Sonic first came out? Was it when Sega officially beat the pants of Nintendo? Was it when you got your first Sega system or played your first Sega game? it can be a historical event or something personal to you.
Here's my first three as there is so much to pick from...

My third highlight in Sega's history isn't actually in videogames but video game releated. Im not a big Sonic fan but back in the nineties Sega beat nintendo in the USA, a country that before then was very nintendo orientated(still is in some parts). But the highlight for me was after years of strugging to get a mascot, Sega creates one in Sonic and after a few years Sonic became the first non Disney character to be part of the Disneyland cast of characters during the nineties. That signified that Sega had made it to mainstream america to get one of their characters into something interwined in american culture like Disneyland. something nintendo with their family image and character like mario was never able to do back then. It showed to me at least that overall sega won the battle and defeated nintendo when one of america's institutions embraced him(for moolah obviously) into their "family".

Second highlight.Was when VIRTUA FIGHTER was when it was recognised by the American Smitsonian musuem. it was a recognition of Sega's ability and faith of and Yu Suzuku's genius. Sadly that is both lacking in Sega/sammy at the moment. Regardless of how other gamers say, or make out that Tekken or some other shite is better they really cant take it away from sega as  its a honoured award that they cant tarnish or mock no matter how hard they'll try.

The dawn of Model 2 and the Daytona Crash.
The first time i saw DAYTONA USA in the arcades and the moment the hornet crashed. It was spectacular. There was nothing like it and it was jaw dropping. During his time other companies were competing with Sega on the 3D front like Namco's Ridge racer and so on but none of them were even perpared for this game. Sega silenced ALL challengers to their throne with this title and the upcoming VIRTUA FIGHTER 2. The smooth but competitive driving, the rich 3D graphics made it a very additive game to play. As a sega fan i was already spoiled with the likes of VIRTUA RACING, VFand the awesome STAR WARS ARCADE and didn't expect to see anything like what DAYTONA presented.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:44:23 pm by ROJM »

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
Re: Highlights In Sega gaming history (a Segabits fan personal glory)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:09:56 pm »
I would say number three on my list was going to visit Hong Kong two years ago for a couple of months. Exploring the city and hunting down some of the locations from Shenmue 2 was a very nice experience; I visited Aberdeen, Man Mo Temple on Hollywood Street and the park where the Walled City used to be. The geography of Shenmue 2 is a bit off, but it was still a very rewarding experience.

Number two on my list would be seeing videos of REZ for the first time, and being completely taken aback by how absolutely brilliant the game is. I believe it was very emblematic of the Sega during that magical stretch from 1998 to 2002 when they were God. I remember Rez, Jet Set Radio, the Panzer Dragoon games and so on convinced me for the first time that video games can be works of art in their own right. Rez, to me, was the pinnacle of arthouse gaming around 2001, which was, in my mind, the high water mark of the industry in general.

I have trouble topping my list, but I would have to say the videos of Valkyrie of the Battlefield being released. While I won't say the game is the best Sega ever produced by a mile, I will say it is the most creative Sega had churned out since it went third party, and I believe it showed to me that Sega would eventually pull itself back up. That was quite relieving; Sega suddenly seemed, to me, to be relevant, with a future ahead.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
Re: Highlights In Sega gaming history (a Segabits fan personal glory)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 04:05:11 pm »
First memory is actually owning a Mega Drive at a very young age. I owned every mainline Sonic game bar 3D Blast and CD.

Second memory was a family friend borrowing the best of SEGA's franchises each time I went around his house. He owned Alex Kidd but he borrowed; OutRun, Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage 1/2, Golden Axe and I also borrowed from my cousin World of Illusion (made by AM7) and Kid Chameleon.

When I got back into SEGA games again (bar seeing Sonic R on a shelf once and demoing Adventure on the Dreamcast), Nintendo owned many of the Mega Drive collection on the VC. This was my true foray into the Mega Drive games proper (I owned Disney/Desert Strike games previously), through this I got pretty much all the other games (Comix Zone, Ristar, SoR3, Fantasy Zone and Super Hang On).

What made me fully a SEGA fan again was Valkyria Chronicles. I asked about it in the SEGA Forums randomly (I just got a PS3 then) and heard it was awesome...hell, I paid £32.50 for it USED! I fell in love with it instantly.

Now I pretty much try any SEGA game despite genre to see if I like it.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.