Author Topic: Jurgen Post: Digital comes first for new Sega  (Read 8753 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Jurgen Post: Digital comes first for new Sega
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:42:09 am »
2013 will be the first full year for the new Sega: a big publisher that focuses on digital first, complemented by select boxed brands.

MCV asks European COO Jurgen Post how these plans will come to fruition this year..

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/jurgen-post-digital-comes-first-for-new-sega/0109454

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
Re: Jurgen Post: Digital comes first for new Sega
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:44:24 am »
I am kind of sad to hear that....I like owning boxed SEGA games to look at as well as the manuals.

I guess it can't be helped but I will buy their digital output should it be deemed excellent.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:10:56 am »
All I'm hoping that is SEGA Networks has neat stuff for Consoles.

I mean Demon Tribe looks pretty good for (sadly) being a mobile game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFPO0rUwDBw

I could care really less about Sega's games being now digital. Besides Shenmue, Yakuza and a few of their RPG's, none of Sega's games screamed like huge ambitious games that need to be on BD disc.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:14:57 pm »
Eh, this just reiterates what we already knew. To be honest, I loved 2011 and 2012's offerings and those years were pretty much tons of digital and a handful of boxed games. Digital first, boxed second. 2013 will just mean less shit like Marvel and the plain Olympic titles.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:18:08 pm »
Eh, this just reiterates what we already knew. To be honest, I loved 2011 and 2012's offerings and those years were pretty much tons of digital and a handful of boxed games. Digital first, boxed second. 2013 will just mean less shit like Marvel and the plain Olympic titles.
Yeah exactly. And if they take digital more serious like they are saying they're going to be, that could also mean for some pretty great 2D games(like hell yeah but better) again.

Allthough i'm not a big fan of IOS games

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 05:12:20 pm »
I'd like to see some actual new content......Sega's relying too much on their back catalogue for their digital releases, IMO.

Offline loempiavreter

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 03:44:46 am »
I'd like to see some actual new content......Sega's relying too much on their back catalogue for their digital releases, IMO.

I'm happy with their old catalogue being ported, especially arcade games that never got a port in the first place. Bring on 10 player deathmatch with a Last Survivor port!

Besides Last Survivor I'm still waiting for a good chunk of unported SEGA arcade goodness like Virtua Cop 3, Operation G.H.O.S.T., HotD EX, 2Spicy, Sega Golden Gun, Dynamite Deka EX, Rail Chase, Desert Tank, Behind Enemy Lines, Toy Fighter, Motor Raid and Spikeout Final Edition port, that would be wonderful.

Let's be honest here, SEGA's new original IP's especially those Total War games are not up my alley, strictly arcade bussiness.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:58:19 am by loempiavreter »

Offline Trippled

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 07:13:50 am »
I'm happy with their old catalogue being ported, especially arcade games that never got a port in the first place. Bring on 10 player deathmatch with a Last Survivor port!

Besides Last Survivor I'm still waiting for a good chunk of unported SEGA arcade goodness like Virtua Cop 3, Operation G.H.O.S.T., HotD EX, 2Spicy, Sega Golden Gun, Dynamite Deka EX, Rail Chase, Desert Tank, Behind Enemy Lines, Toy Fighter, Motor Raid and Spikeout Final Edition port, that would be wonderful.

Let's be honest here, SEGA's new original IP's especially those Total War games are not up my alley, strictly arcade bussiness.

To be fair, Toy Fighter and AB Cop were just released on Sega Boards, and not made by Sega.

Also Rail Chase, Behind Enemy Lines are just pixelated messes these days, and Desert Tank, a clunky early 3D game. Ports should be just from Model 2 onwards

Agreed on everything else tough.

Offline loempiavreter

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:08:35 pm »
Also Rail Chase, Behind Enemy Lines are just pixelated messes these days, and Desert Tank, a clunky early 3D game.

Rail Chase is awesome, everyone should play it in all it's pixelated glory. To be honest, I don't get the hate for early 3D. There's great art in low-res 3d models as there is for great 8-bit spritework.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 12:33:26 pm »
Haha! Rail Chase! We actually have a Rail Chase image in the rotating banner, it's such a wacky image:

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_video/sega/16210101.jpg

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 03:54:18 am »
Its poppycock. Sega is saying one thing and doing another. The market isn't ready for a fully digital distrubution yet. Retail is still selling strongly in all markets. Digital hasn't really taken off in Japan, its only the mobile phone side of things that have become really succesful and with this news about Relic, i can't see Sega actually going full tilt into digital gaming. They're saying one thing but they doing something else. There's no point buying up CoH and the like if they're just going to go completly digital when those titles do extremly well in retail. It sounds like they going with the mike hayes mentality by forming a partnership or buying up a key studio with a key franchise that sells strongly in one market,once in a few years instead of buying up or signing contracts to loads of companies that wont deliver like what happened under Simon Jeffery's reign.