Author Topic: Twin-stick feature in Panzer Dragoon Zwei II  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Twin-stick feature in Panzer Dragoon Zwei II
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:27:23 am »
There's an undocumented controller configuration in Panzer Dragoon Zwei II. I believe I first read about it on SegaRetro. It involves using two Mission Stick controllers.

If you didn't already know, the Sega Mission Stick for the Saturn is pretty cool in that it can be configured for either right-handed or left-handed play. The stick portion of the controller can be detached and reattached with the button/base portion of the controller on either the left or the right, whatever your preference. Well, for the Panzer Dragoon Zwei II feature, if you just happen to have two Mission Sticks, you can put a stick on both the right AND the left of the base and, apparently, control the camera with one of the sticks and the dragon with the other one.

My question is, has anyone here actually done this and can confirm that it works? And if so, how does it work? Does it make it so the camera can be controlled fluidly, or does it still snap to the four directions that you can already control with a typical controller configuration?

For a while now I've been preparing for the ultimate Panzer Dragoon playthrough. I've got one Mission Stick. If you can use a second Mission Stick to control the camera smoothly, I'll probably go for it and get the second one. If it's still just a basic switch between four views, though, I might skip the expense.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, from what I've read, this twin stick Mission Stick configuration does not work with Virtual On. Missed opportunity!

Offline OriginalName

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Twin-stick feature in Panzer Dragoon Zwei II
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:44:27 pm »
I just checked this with my Virtual On Twin-Stick, and it does actually work, though not quite in the way that you described (though you were talking about the double Mission-Stick arrangement, which I've heard isn't supposed to work for any game, but who knows). You move your targeting reticule with the left stick, move the camera digitally with the left stick's button and trigger, and shoot with the trigger on the right stick.

Really cool, though! Thanks for bringing this up, I never would've thought to try otherwise!

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: Twin-stick feature in Panzer Dragoon Zwei II
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 10:11:34 pm »
Very interesting, thanks for trying that out with the Virtual On Twin Stick. I still wonder if the dual Mission Stick method might function differently, though. I reckon I'll give it a try and if it's nothing that really enhances the gameplay, I shouldn't have any trouble selling the second Mission Stick.