Author Topic: Let's chat about the worst games of 2013  (Read 7269 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Let's chat about the worst games of 2013
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:51:13 am »
So... Do you guys have any games in 2013 that you felt were bad?

I have a couple of 'em to rattle off...

Aliens: Colonial Marines - The only remotely decent part is one section where you don't have a proper firearm and you are sneaking around.

Justice League Legacy - PS2-era graphics, bad AI, boring gameplay, mediocre story.

I have a few others, but right now I'm drawing a blank.

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
Re: Let's chat about the worst games of 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:53:06 am »
Sim City.
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:26:16 am »
Haven't played it, but Ride to Hell: Retribution is known for being spectacularly bad. It's the lowest rated game on Steam right now.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:34:38 am by TimmiT »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 10:01:41 am »
I've actually been playing Ride to Hell: Retribution. I started yesterday and I'm gonna be honest... So far, there's nothing that I've seen in there that screams "Worst Game of the year".

Glitchy? Yes, a bit. Terrible Voice Acting? You betcha. Dumb AI enemies? Yes.

But as far as being just straight up horrible, there is much, much worse out there.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:42:21 am »
Really? Was watching the Steam Train playthrough of it and it looks like garbage to me. Definitely looks worse than Sim City, Young Justice: Legacy and even Aliens: CM.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:28:53 pm by TimmiT »

Offline Saturn Memories

• In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 02:21:32 pm »
Gotta agree with Tim. Ride to Hell is complete garbage.
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline max_cady

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:58:50 pm »
There's no question about it's general lack of quality, but RtH seems destined to become one of those "so-bad, it's good" titles in the minds of some gamers out there.

There are a few games out there that might have slipped under the radar: The RIPD game, for example.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 04:22:35 pm »
Having a 2-year old, I don't really even have time for good games, so I didn't play any really bad ones.  I was a little disappointed by Anarchy Reigns. 

Offline loempiavreter

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:33 pm »
Which was the game I had the most fun with straight on from 2012 japanese release and afterwards the western release till when then online community kinda dwindled in late 2013.

As for most dissapointing game of 2013, probably Beyond Two Souls. That game is bad. And David Jaffe goes on about taking games to the next level or maturing... by imitating Hollywood style movie??? Rarely do hollywood movies stray from using a different narrative (as does Beyond Two Souls). While the power of videogames is to stray from such narrative setup. Just look at the indirect narrative setup used by Dark Souls and Killer is Dead this year. That's the future of videogame narration right there.

I really want to get rid of the two-trick narrative structure.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:08:21 pm by loempiavreter »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 04:45:53 am »
I've been thinking about Anarchy Reigns as a possible contender for one of the worst games out there, but...

The game is more of a disappointment than anything else, it's not bad, it's technically sound, the game works fine, the story is somewhat interesting, despite feeling like a B-team effort. But Aliens: Colonial Marines is more deserving of bein' on a worst of list.

The only good portion of Aliens: CM are either the cutscenes or that one stage where you are running away from a mutant xenomorph and sneaking around in the sewers. Other than that... There's nothing of value there.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 04:48:04 am by max_cady »

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 11:07:47 pm »
This is going to sound strange, coming from my username...

Star Trek was the worst game of 2013 IMO. I realist that Aliens: Colonial Marines was bad. It still doesn't compare to how bad Star Trek was. I guess gaming companies forgot how to make good space-age games.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:28:46 pm by Spock »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 08:08:47 am »
Ah, man if there ever was a Plan 9 From Outer Space game, Ride to Hell: Retribution would be it. If Ed Wood was a game director, this would be the game he would make.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 07:16:12 am »
Having a 2-year old, I don't really even have time for good games, so I didn't play any really bad ones.  I was a little disappointed by Anarchy Reigns. 
I agree, I feel I would have loved it immensely if I could play it online, but there were probably about three people in Australia who bought the game and every overseas match lagged to the point of unplayability.

Single player was dull, but I think that was never meant to be the main draw. I wish it came out on PC to give the multiplayer another/better chance, because it looks fun as hell in that regard.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 03:54:20 pm »
Obviously aliens colonial marines for many. But I haven't played that so I can't tell. The worst game I did play in 2013 must have been puppeteer. I was looking at the reviews it got and as a 2d+platformer fan I had to get it. I ended up feeling like I was playing a really simple platformer with most budget put into the presentation. Also 30fps feels wrong on a platformer so I would have rather had if they held back a little to keep the fps 60

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 10:12:18 am »
I don't know you folks seems to be naming games, that have real replay value, and could even spawn a series.

Barbie Dream House

I would say, any Barbie game is the worst game of 2013. I mean who the hell actually purchase one for a daughter. Oh I know at least one kid, oh that is every girl ever.

Seriously BS. Teaching every girl on the planet to be a money grubbing, gold digger, *. Ever ask yourself, why don't we see a "Barbie, one room bedroom, cellpartment"? Or even "Barbie the teen wedding, and pregnancy"? Then of course is the Barbie, and how I ended up with "SpongeBob Squarepants". I mean they also have "Barbie, goes to the army" ( do they have that? ), or "Barbie, I am shaped differnt because I am from another race that is almost extinct"

I am not saying preparing women to pay mortgage, and dress up like if it was 1950's is not a bad thing. I mean hey, what more a person could ask for is the life of a retired athletic, model, who is now a dedicated house wife, home business woman. But then again, that is discrimination against men, isn't it.

To make things worst is the GBA game..........to make things funnier is the GBA game, which proves they could have ported Castlevania PSX down to the GBA. I mean seriously, Barbie's Prince is sitting the same way, Dracula is sitting on his throne. Yes please make the Fanficiton, where Dracula is Ken, and Barbie is Sonia Belmont, who just happens to give birth to etc etc ( Konomi doesn't love it's original fans ).

*I am going to the life ladies house ( That sums up this entire game ).

So Ken house is the best kind of man, any American woman could ever get. He is the closest thing to looking like a norse man, etc, etc.

Of all the things, the black one, sounds the most street,
The Artsy one ( the one who might be Latin, Oriental ( Indian, Etc ), or Asian ), says the obvious videogame thing,

Oh wait, the artsy, one ( who seriously sounds like a dude who likes videogames, basically me if I was a girl ), just so happens to have a Sega Saturn console. "Her voyage to fashion planet" ( it is soooo funny it hurts, I OMG, "powdy face" "VOUGE". ).

"This is fun", lets make * , 

Then of course is the evil ( those religous people, british, non-european, but european looking one, who barely looks like if she could give birth to blonde children ( seriously Vikings BS, translated into western BS ) looking one, you know the one with the dark striped hair. Ohhh noes

AND THE GAME SYSTEM IS AN OVERSIZED COMPUTER THAT IS BUILT INTO THE HOUSE. WHAT KIND OF DREAM HOUSE YOUR EXPECTING ME TO HAVE BARBIE ( Gold Digger ),

"This is for reals" ( say the predominantly black one ). Then the Robot-Eye ( the rapist machine, from "Demon Seed comes out and says"

OMGSH this is better then *, OMGSH OMGSH "I have hidden for shoes, ladies. Now find them"
Keep in mind the CPU, will find the shoes over time, without your help, so your just pressing buttons, for a long time

Barbie Bedroom, with Shoe house sky scraper.....OMGSH OMSGH It is so inventive.

OMGSH I am not unhappy. OH THE VIOLENCE!!!!