Author Topic: PC Games and Their Attempt to Become Consoles  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
PC Games and Their Attempt to Become Consoles
« on: March 10, 2015, 03:45:53 pm »
I've noticed something of late. There's sort of a movement of the PC platform suddenly trying to appeal to the console markets, all starting a couple years ago. At the forefront is of course, Valve and Steam, with Steam consoles on the horizon, a controller supposedly capable of playing any and all games no matter their setup, and the streamlining of that platform in general. But the question's been in my head, is this really worth it? Can PC be on that same level of convenience and accessibility of a console?

My thought is no, it can't. Not without changing what PC games are.

For one, PC games have problems that you may or may not even be able to work through. I can count way too many times I've had a game just stop working after not having played it for months, or a game not working when I buy it. Just refusing to run, or there being a major problem. The issue is that the solution to that problem could be simple, or way more work than it should take. I'm used to it now, but sometimes I've gotta spend hours searching through forums, trying things out, possibly breaking things further, just to get a game working again. That's not an experience that I think someone used to consoles is going to like. With consoles, when your game you've got two things you can try: clean the disc or cartridge, or if you're playing on a modern system, see if there's a patch. The number of solutions you could have with PC games is near infinite.

My second problem is that the current "console experience" on PC is Steam's Big Picture Mode. Now I actually do like Big Picture in concept, but it's been out for two years, and problems I had with it in beta are still prevalent. It's just not fun to use. It's unstable as hell, I've counted way too many just plain random crashes for it to be viable under normal circumstances, and it's just slow. The web browser in particular I'm plain afraid to use, because the number of times I've tried looking up a cheat or a walkthrough and the entire thing just crash on me is one too many. I assume these are issues that'll be fixed for Steam Machines, but it's not really spelling a fun experience.

Steam's done a fair job attempting to fix or simplify hurdles PC games have had in the last decade or so, like modding. I love Steam Workshop in both idea and execution, even if I personally don't use it too often. Simplifying the modding process I think is going to be a BIG draw with this console-like movement. But then there's the fact that mods can get more complicated than they need to be too, like fixing issues, and all that.

There's just too many problems that are intrinsic of the platform for it to be viable as an accessible experience on par with consoles in the near future. I'd like to see someone else besides Steam try to tackle these issues because at the moment it's just one company on a pipe-dream and no one else is stepping up to it. Maybe they think it's futile, or maybe tech's not here yet. But I can't see these prospects coming true any time soon.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: PC Games and Their Attempt to Become Consoles
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 12:44:50 am »
I really like PC simply for its control scheme and good hardware. I know all the issues that sometimes come with it, which tho I honestly dont encounter a lot lately, its pretty much something worth to become experienced in. But definitly not accesable. And it is why consoles will stay a massive market imo. I expected a crash of some sort, but the consoles are doing pretty good overall for that reason I think.

I think if you want to do away with the issues, they would have to do that with a closed platform. I think steam machine "should" get rid of these issues. Steam machine would be flawed out of the box if they cant make a console experience box function like consoles.

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 07:34:44 am »
There is a greater crossover than ever with PCs and consoles. Both the PS4 and the Xbox1 are essentially cut down PCs and the fact that most Triple A games on those formats get released needing the same patches that PC versions have removes a lot of the convenience of consoles. On top of that, there is a greater willingness for some people (such as myself) that is happy to have a PC connected to their main TV with a number of controllers connected to it. The market for PCs as a primary gaming format is widening, though it will never replace consoles.

The device which I can't see the point of is the Steam Machines, which at their cheapest cost more than the Xbox1 or PS4. If it's going to cost at least $500 to get one, why not just build a PC? I just don't get what it's target demo is.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 12:52:27 pm »
Hilariously enough, I think a wired X360 controller is the best thing to happen to PC gaming. My ass is too old for keyboard/mouse, can't twitch like I used to.  :-\

The device which I can't see the point of is the Steam Machines, which at their cheapest cost more than the Xbox1 or PS4. If it's going to cost at least $500 to get one, why not just build a PC? I just don't get what it's target demo is.

The main difference between a PC and Steam Machine is that you spend more on the actual hardware, and dedicate $0 towards the OS. Buying a a new PC for "only" $500 means buying lower specs if you have to add Windows to it.

It is a silly thing though to expect most people to spend more on PC-compliant hardware when game consoles can offer ~75% of the same new major releases (estimated, made-up percentage). A PC will always win for backwards compatibility though, and the latest indie games.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:12:07 am »
Hilariously enough, I think a wired X360 controller is the best thing to happen to PC gaming. My ass is too old for keyboard/mouse, can't twitch like I used to.  :-\

Depends on the game really. Racers and platformers etc, I prefer controller, but good luck playing Company of Heroes 2 with it. Shooters I still much prefer KB and Mouse.