Author Topic: Vanquish @ E3 | Eurogamer Hands-on  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Vanquish @ E3 | Eurogamer Hands-on
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:42:36 am »
When director Shinji Mikami claimed that Vanquish looks like a shooter but feels like an action game, he wasn't wrong. Watching Sam slither past man-sized bullets with a swivel of the analogue stick and rip the limbs from an enormous boss brings back pleasant memories of Bayonetta.

Comparisons feel slightly redundant, though; Vanquish looks as entirely idiosyncratic as any of Platinum's other games. Suspicions that it's a re-skinned, Japanese Gears of War fade to nothing as soon as you slide-kick a barrier into a crowd of robots before chucking a cigarette onto the debris
That's all I wanted to hear  :afroman:

http://http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/vanquish-hands-on
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Vanquish @ E3 | Eurogamer Hands-on
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:46:44 am »
brings back pleasant memories of Bayonetta.

Sold, twice.

Sounds delicious.
Made by SEGA

Offline SufferLikeGDid

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:09:10 am »
There ain't a thing to worry about ;)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 05:53:31 am »
I usually trust Eurogamer. Wonder how much more praise will be heaped onto the game during E3.

Offline Pao

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:13:19 am »
Other extremely postive hands on impressions:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=248152
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=250650

This is Vanquish laying its cards on the table, throwing one of the biggest bosses in videogame history at you on level one as if it were nothing. And it's Vanquish's faith in you, holding the controller. It absolutely trusts that you can handle this fight at the end of level 1-1 - the first bit of the first level, only five minutes in. It fills the screen with missiles and makes you dodge them, carves the screen in two with a laser and makes you dive for cover, and keeps those tiny weak spots moving and your team mates wounded so you're forever forced to be mobile - a walking tank one minute, an emergency medic the next. Vanquish is the resounding answer to anyone who doubts whether Japan has what it takes to compete with western game studios this generation. The best developers on Earth are still working for Japanese studios and they're still doing things differently. Bayonetta dragged a last-generation concept into this generation and Vanquish drags a current generation idea into the next generation. The future of third-person shooters is Gears of War on rocket-powered roller skates - faster, harder, more intense, and more mental than anything which could have ever come from the mind of anyone not named Shinji Mikami.

Vanquish is looking very much like what shooters do next. It's a third-person cover-based shooter unlike any before it - faster, more aggressive, and more exciting than anything in either of the Gears of War games or the series' many imitators. It's a third-person shooter which, like Bayonetta, has absolute faith in the player and absolutely believes you're capable of handling a third-person shootout busier and more chaotic than anything before it. Vanquish is set to change everything, and to set the standard everyone else has to follow

Offline Monkeroony

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:56:23 am »
Wow.

I thought the videos looked good but the feedback is overwhelming!

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:57:43 am »
A game like this totally vindicates my view on Japanese vs western gaming.  

Fuck multiplayer and casualized single player. Intense, high energy, technique based single-player *is* video gaming.

Sorry, Johnny Mainstream.  :cry:

[size=150]SEGA DIGITALISTA[/size][/color]

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 12:27:29 pm »
^

What on earth are you on about . There's many high end high energy single player games, you know like Bay, Ninja Gaiden II, DMC IV, God Of War III, Ninja Blade  with out a Multi player mode in sight  ECT. And I will have to laugh if you think the likes of Lost Planet or Gears II single modes as casual

Anyway back to the game . Sound great, but then what happens when you make a game for western tastes and audience in mind. You never know SEGA Japan you get praise for it too, now make the  Japanese In-House studios follow suit
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 02:18:56 pm »
Don't pay any attention to him TA. Hes got some weird anti western games agenda and wont listen to reason.
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 09:36:41 am »
I think the big reason this will not succeed, or at least not as big as SEGA is expecting is because it DOES NOT have multiplayer options. I do not know why it does not have any honestly.

Oh well, ITAGAKI DA MAN!

Offline Pao

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 12:30:18 pm »
Two more Positive impressions
Nowgamer:

Best game of the show so far. Nice one PlatinumGames.

Despite lingering out there in the place where East meets West for the best part of erm... some months, this is the first time that this particular reporter has had a chance to get his hands on Vanquish. It's safe to say that we were blown away and near certain that it's the finest piece of - admittedly hardcore - gaming we managed to get our hands on on the E3 show floor today.

We love Gears Of War - let's punt that one out there before we start banging on about the potential superiority, yes superiority of Vanquish.

Visually, Vanquish is a cut above. We find ourselves saying this all the time, but it never ceases to surprise us just how far certain developers are able to push five year old technology, and PlatinumGames appears to be doing so yet again, above and beyond almost everything else out there. Like Gears, there's a solidity to it. An indefinable feel in which the players get a sense of both space and weight which so many other titles simply fail to grasp, often leaving the player feeling like they are interacting with the empty polygons which the illusion defies.

http://http://ps3.nowgamer.com/previews/ps3/1059/vanquish

PS3revolution:

With E3 in full swing we have had a chance to walk the showroom floors and admire all the many upcoming title gracing today's most popular platforms and none so far has grabbed our attention quite like Vanquish, so far! O.k. yes KILLZONE 3 in 3D did melt our face off, however, Vanquish is quickly becoming one of our favorite sleepers of 2010.

Platinum Games is redefining the 3rd person action shooter genre as Vanquish offers a non-stop roller-coaster ride of pure shooter action fun. We understand that when you're experiencing games straight from E3 you have to be careful not to fall victim to all the hype and excitement going on around you which can effect your hands-on experience making an average game better than it really is, however after our brief play through of Vanquish, we are convinced millions of gamers will have an absolute blast shooting, sliding, smashing and causing havok in Vanquish.

SEGA and Platinum Games has a real charmer on their hands, hopefully gamers can get past the learning curve and give it chance. Vanquish look very promising.

http://http://ps3thevolution.com/2010/06/16/e3-2010-vanquish-hands-on-impression/

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »
[youtube:1j1t14tz]7k_CEtFWKaA[/youtube:1j1t14tz]

Not feeling it. Sorry.

Offline Pao

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 01:00:30 pm »
I don't like that video, I think these videos shows it best:

[youtube:3rbz839c]TGhOfZfIkhA[/youtube:3rbz839c]
[youtube:3rbz839c]sDEdPD7LfhE[/youtube:3rbz839c]
[youtube:3rbz839c]WwyFLN8M8AU[/youtube:3rbz839c]

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 04:23:36 pm »
The videos still don't blow my skirt up, but those impressions sound good. I wasn't impressed by Bayonetta either though, even playing the demo didn't entirely win me over, but that became one of my favourite games ever made so...

I'll have faith this will turn out well.

Offline Pao

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 09:45:31 am »
Smoking, then tossing the cigarette away to distract those heat-seeking robots, awesome and helpful idea!