Author Topic: Gaming related things that happened on my vacation  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Gaming related things that happened on my vacation
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:18:17 am »
Despite the rumors, I was not given a week-long ban for being positive about Sonic 4 and Kinect. I was actually on vacation in Minnesota over the past week. During my trip a lot of stuff happened, but I thought I'd share the gaming related things that occurred. Think of it as my boring vacation slideshow.

Saturday we flew out from Philly. At the airport I spotted this kid who was wearing a Shadow the Hedgehog shirt and had crammed in his suitcase a 14 inch Knuckles plush in the classic style. I would have taken a photo, but I'd look like a pedophile.

I found a candy tin shaped like an Atari joystick for 99 cents. It was pretty cool, and the gum inside was sorta minty. Good purchase. It now sits next to my Slimer statue that came with that Ghostbusters video game.

Sunday I spent the day at my grandparent's house. They have two arcade machines that once belonged to my uncle who repaired jukeboxes and pinball machines. He passed away in 2004. One machine (not pictured) was a old wooden pinball machine featuring a sultan and his harem of women. Probably built in the 50's. It was having technical issues, so I moved on to play the Centipede cocktail machine! Really awesome!

I put in a word to buy it from them for $300 and it looks to be mine :D for the time being, it'll stay with them. But once I have a house with a basement bar, you can bet this baby will be there!

Monday to Thursday I was at my cabin. Boating, drinking, eating, drinking, boating and buying stuff. Good times. I picked up some Tiger Pocket Arcade toys (circa 1998) from a discount store. Got NiGHTS, Super Monaco GP and Virtua Fighter still in their package. I'm not opening them as the games are probably crap and the packaging is too cool to rip up. I'll probably feature these on SEGA Memories next week.

Friday and Saturday I was at my parents house. I found a load of old Sonic toys in the basement, mostly candy items and happy meal toys, and about 200 Sonic comics. I also found my Sonic 10th Anniversary pack, Donald Duck Goin' Quackers for the Dreamcast and my collection of arcade machine marquees (inherited from my uncle). Check them out:

Sunday I returned home.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
Re: Gaming related things that happened on my vacation
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 11:44:02 am »
Cool stuff. I particularly like the Atari candy tin.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 07:49:06 pm »
Nice stuff. That Centipede machine looks particularly awesome. Does the trackball work smoothly? It will be a great purchase!
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:06:38 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Nice stuff. That Centipede machine looks particularly awesome. Does the trackball work smoothly? It will be a great purchase!

Thanks!

Yeah man! The ball is smooth, though I might give it a cleaning just to ensure ultimate ballness.

Offline Snowcat

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 04:51:15 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Yeah man! The ball is smooth, though I might give it a cleaning just to ensure ultimate ballness.
:afroman:

That sounds pretty cool! sounds like you had a good time... well, video game wise.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 07:33:06 am »
Yeah, I mean obviously the trip was 95% family, food, beer and television (I even forgot about video games for a good three days). But there were good times to be had.

Most surprising moment was finding the same three Tiger electronic toys at the local discount store that I had seen there 6 years earlier. Guess they weren't big sellers. Oddly enough, that same store used to have a copy of Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch on SEGA CD that had sold in those 6 years.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 12:49:46 pm »
I love those marquees.  Never thought about collecting them before.  They'd look nice framed.