Author Topic: What do you want from Creative Assembly?  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
What do you want from Creative Assembly?
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:03:56 am »
SEGA greenlight major console investment

SEGA have okayed The Creative Assembly to develop a major new console title. Currently in prototyping stage the title and genre are secret but will constitute SEGA’s largest current budget in internal development outside of Japan. Using technology and tools developed over the last two years the team will now grow substantially. Studio Director Tim Heaton said ‘The Creative Assembly are known for Total War and we are privileged to have a skilled large team working to deliver Shogun 2: Total War. However we have moved forward with our console team and spent a lot of time developing an infrastructure that works for them and during that process developed an incredibly strong demo. It is great that we are getting the perfect backing from SEGA – we have the time and the resources to deliver an awesome game’.

So Sega have green lit a brand new console game from a pretty new part of the Creative Assembly developers that sounds like a pretty exciting game.

But what do you want from Creative Assembly?
What kind of games should they make?
What consoles?
Should they focus on just action and RTS games or try their hand at other genres?

--

Everyone probably knows by now that I'm a big fan of their Total War games and I think Shogun 2 is easily going to be the best in the series.

For consoles I think they should focus on trying to improve and build on what they started in Viking... Really enjoyed that game but I wanted every aspect to be bigger, better and more varied.

I also think they should get their Aussie team to focus on making a fantasy RTS that uses the same engine as Shogun 2... So a Total War engine. No need to build a new one like StormRise. Just take the Total War engine which is tried and tested and awesome and create a really cool tolken style fantasy game where your factions and units are all mythical creatures. I would love a fantasy game with the depth of battle, building, diplomacy and such in a setting where they can go really wild with battle locations and unit types not restrained by historical accuracy. I can't understand why this hasnt been done yet... They could make a brand new series using minimal effort, they could even use their patented 'whip select' control scheme and put it on consoles.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Made by SEGA

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: What do you want from Creative Assembly?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:36:48 pm »
What I want from them is the same awesomeness they kept on making in the past years.

I would be happy if its an action game like Spartan/Viking, with huge budget I'm sure they can create amazing battlefields.

They've tackled greek and norse mythology so far, I wonder what they will do next?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:57:42 pm »
Quote from: "Pao"
They've tackled greek and norse mythology so far, I wonder what they will do next?

Norse Mythology. Thor: The game!  :P

Seriously though, I agree with Sharky. Just keep on keepin' on basically. They can build on Viking to make something really cool with huge battles and action pieces for console, maybe use elements of Storm-Front to help some of the controls in battles etc.

As for PC, I also would love to see them tackle a fantasy or Sci-Fi based Total War game. While I do love the historical based games, something that's more out there would be fun and a nice change of pace. They could make the map whatever they wanted, as big as they wanted and include some really interesting units.

I think that if SEGA ever got a hold to the rights to Dune, it would be perfect for a Total War game. The combat in Dune was generally based around close-quarters combat, there were lots of different types of military and, basically just seems like it would be a good fit for a Total War game. Not sure how they would handle Sand Worms though...

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:53:58 pm »
I think they need to build other franchises up or maybe even work on some of SEGA's IPs that have been untouched for years. I would like to see what they could do with the Shining or Gain Ground IPs, for instance.

I loved Viking for pretty much the opposite of what Sharky wants. I loved how simple and to the point it was. You did not need to mess around with inventory systems, if people liked you or not, about where you need to find food next and you were never confused where to go next. While not a classic and not fully finished, I thought it was brilliant fun hidden gem that really felt like a game out of the 90s in all of the best ways. It is a shame it appears that they did not want to make this a series, because I feel it could have been something really big for them and SEGA, but now it is too late.

For their next big game, I really want them to make an adventure game for HD consoles with a lot of similar concepts to Viking. As for a setting... I would really like to see something from South America or maybe even Australia. You never really see those kinds of settings in games much.

And yeah, keep on keepin' on with Total War the way it is, I guess. Nothing wrong here.

Offline Sieghardt

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:50:01 am »
Dragon Force seems like it'd suit them better than Shining, wouldnt mind some of that

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:11:31 pm »
- The console team to make a game similar to Viking (but enhanced in every features) or an action-adventure but place in a very different context.

- The rts team and the studio Australia can continue to develop their RTS but setting the games in different environments and worlds, exemples: fantasy, sci-fi; the technology then, as Sharky said, should be shared between the teams thus raising the overall quality (Stormrise).
SEGA STYLE