Author Topic: Peripheral Concerns  (Read 4771 times)

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Peripheral Concerns
« on: December 07, 2010, 07:48:37 am »
Dreamcast Peripherals and Accessories have different names depending on the manufacturer and regions it is really quite inconvenient when your trying to build a multi-national website.

For Example

Haptic-Tech (or haptics, is a tactile feedback technology that takes advantage of a user's sense of touch by applying forces, vibrations, and/or motions to the user).

Now Nintendo calls the implementation of haptics "Rumble" (Rumble Pak for N64), Sony calls it "Shock" (as part of the Dual Shock controllers). The problems comes from the extremely poor management at Sega who failed to agree upon a universal name as a consequence every region had their own name. SOJ Calls it "Puru Puru", SOA calls it "Jump", SOE went with "Vibration Pack".

The 3rd parties are no help is they range from Force Pack to names like Thunder Pack.

What should we call this in our database?

Should we just take the basic name of the technology "Haptics Enabled" or Puru Puru/Jump Pack/Vibration Pack.

I personally like Haptics Enabled but not many people would recognize the term, but as a solution to that I will make a haptics page explaining everything or I could simply add Haptics (Force Feedback) Enabled.

We have this problem in our data base with several other peripherals, but let's address this first.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Peripheral Concerns
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 08:51:44 am »
What database are you referring to?

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 12:32:42 pm »
Sorry... Basically I posted this at DCS, we are creating a new site in wordpress (we were previously on PMwiki).

So we have to make categories, and right now we have redundancies with staff adding Vibrators, Tremors, etc on game pages. So we needed to resolve this issue before launch.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 01:16:39 pm »
I'd say jump pack, just because that's what I'm familiar with.
Just go with the one that's most recognizable, and stick with it.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 01:39:28 pm »
Ah, I getcha. Yeah, like Soup said, stick with "Jump Pack" as that's the official name. Vibration pack, while an official SoE name, is more of a description than an original name. Sort of like how the DualShock could also be referred to as the Playstation Controller. If you're catering to Japanese readers then perhaps title it "Jump/Puru Puru Pack" as both are official (and unique) names.

I read in the Official Dreamcast Magazine #0, that the Jump Pack was still referred to as the Puru Puru Pack as late as June 2009 in the USA because SEGA had yet to give it the new name.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 03:10:33 pm »
They shouldn't have given it a new name. While Puru Puru sounds gay, it does explain the purpose.

Peter Moore is all about universal branding, yet he didn't make an effort in this department and wtf is 'JUMP PACK' anyway?

How do you associate it with Haptics? Jumping doesn't create tactile forces.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 03:58:55 pm »
Puru Puru was more of an onomonopia than a proper defining name, also I can't see the typical European/American requesting the "puru puru" pack at a store. Though I agree, as a stickler for consistency I wish they had a region-wide name rather than three. Maybe they could have snagged the name "Force Feedback Pack" before Microsoft got a hold of it?

Personally I call them "rumble packs" or "vibration packs" in casual conversation as those really describe what they do. I don't think I've ever called it a "jump pack" outside of ebay searching. I guess Nintendo owned the word Rumble, and SEGA picked up a thesaurus and chose Jump.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 04:16:21 pm »
My friends all called them rumble packs too. Most of them had an N64, and it's basically the same peripheral, only sleeker.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 09:35:56 pm »
..They have different names? Most people I know just call them Rumble* Packs due to the fact that is the most widely used term for it.

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 11:20:33 pm »
If it's a Dreamcast site then call it a Jump Pack.  If it's a multi-console thing, just call it a Rumble Pack.  That's what everyone I've ever heard it from has called it.  And I'm so glad it wasn't called a "Puru Puru" pack in America. Or anywhere else that isn't Japan.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 06:50:28 pm »
Everyone I ever knew just calls it the Jump Pack. That is what it probably should be called on the DCS.

Nintendo was one of the first to establish the Rumble Pak name, so rumble is kept when any official Nintendo product has to mention it. Even though the PlayStation controllers are called DualShocks they still use the word vibration to describe everything. I think every game I ever played on PlayStation 1, 2 and 3 that have an option to turn it on or off mentions it as vibration as well.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 08:38:38 pm »
I've heard the term "Force Feedback" thrown around too.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 09:06:17 am »
Onomonopia is my new word of the month.

Force Feedback is the definition of Haptics and the most spot on.

The American games say Jump Pack Compatible, I have decided to go with "Force Feedback Compatible" Which will link to the Haptics page explaining the whole hardware confusion.

I would've gone with Jump Pack had it been relevant to the description.

Thank You for all your input.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 10:11:21 am »
No problem :).