Author Topic: Four defining aspects of SEGA style? (translation needed)  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Four defining aspects of SEGA style? (translation needed)
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:14 pm »
Hey kids! So I was flipping through the SEGA Consumer History book and came across this very cool spread. Any Japanese readers know what the spread is saying? Even the gist would be awesome. I'm not too sure what its saying aside from the headers which are in English. However I think it does an excellent job of describing just what makes a SEGA game a SEGA game, as well as what makes SEGA hardware unique:

Here's my take:
Advanced Design
Considering they show OutRun and PSO, I'd assume it means that gameplay design is intended to push what is currently done. While other games are 2D racers, OutRun was almost in 3D. While other console RPGs were single player, PSO was massive online multiplayer. SEGA games strive to advance the design of what is currently possible.

Technical Power
Pretty obvious by the shots of Space Harrier and Virtua Racing. SEGA games push the hardware to the limits, often even inventing hardware in order to achieve what is otherwise impossible on current hardware.

Unique Sense
Many SEGA games attempt to be unique and different. JSR and Roommania #203 are examples shown, but I'd also mention Rez, Seaman (third party, but still unique), Samba de Amigo. Unique and original gameplay and graphical styles.

Various Genre
I love this one, and it's so true. SEGA games span nearly every genre imaginable. Only with SEGA could you have hardcore communities devoted to platformers (Sonic, NiGHTS), RPGs (Phantasy Star, Shining Force), action/adventure (Yakuza, Shenmue), puzzles (Monkey Ball, ChuChu), fighting (Virtua Fighter, Virtual On), simulation (Football Manager, Total War). So many games over so many genres. It's no wonder so many SEGA fans sometimes don't see eye to eye. Kidding, kidding.

So.... thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Four defining aspects of SEGA style? (translation needed)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:09:12 pm »
Let me try

- Losing Money
- Saying the next Sonic game will 'be back to his roots'
- Not bringing awesome arcade titles to consoles
- Hit ignore when fans mention Shenmue 3.

Offline Sega Stylista

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:25:29 pm »
-Edgy
-campy
-quirky
-underground

I just exchanged a tweet with Iizuka telling him to make Episode 2 more "edgy" and he responded with something to the effect of "we made Shadow edgy and it didn't sell. Is this the kind of game you want?"

[size=150]SEGA DIGITALISTA[/size][/color]

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:18:16 pm »
Quote from: "George"
Let me try

- Losing Money
- Saying the next Sonic game will 'be back to his roots'
- Not bringing awesome arcade titles to consoles
- Hit ignore when fans mention Shenmue 3.

lol....:(.