Author Topic: Emotional games on Sega hardware  (Read 4868 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Emotional games on Sega hardware
« on: March 20, 2011, 01:07:37 pm »
You know a game is great when it tinkles with our emotions.

What games were the ones that made you feel the most on classic Sega hardware? And what great memories do you have to share?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: Emotional games on Sega hardware
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 01:28:19 pm »
great thread. I tend to get emotional feelings from good music. My first Panzer dragoon experience on the saturn did that to me.

[youtube:1id1uvb5]k4oTU0srt2I[/youtube:1id1uvb5]

Just beautiful

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 01:43:40 pm »
I have experienced almost every human emotion with Ecco the Dolphin 1 and 2 on the Genesis and SEGA CD. I am unsure how to describe it, but just the thought of being near the game is almost as strong a feeling as loving a person, I am that attached to the the series.

I have a lot of specific memories about it, from it and because of the game, and many can be linked to any really major part of my life now. It is pretty pathetic, I know, but what can I do?

It is of course my favorite game, but I do not think it is the best (VERY far from it) and I rarely recommend it to others based on how cutthroat the game can be.

There are others I have extremely emotional attachments to, like the original Sonic trilogy, the Sonic Adventure games, Virtua Fighter series, Skies of Arcadia, Virtual-On, Gunstar Heroes, Shining series, Panzer Dragoon, even weird stuff like Virtua Racing and Sakura Taisen. I just generally have a lot of love for most of their IPs.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:10:43 am »
Knuckles getting screwed over by Robotnik was fairly emotional. When he got electrocuted I thought he was going to die, even though he made things miserable for Sonic I didn't want to see him suffer.

Offline Essay

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 12:00:23 am »
Quote from: "cube_b3"
Knuckles getting screwed over by Robotnik was fairly emotional.
Completely agree here, cube.

Also the ending of Sonic 2.  The music combined with Tails rescuing his buddy and mentor really did it for me.

CrazyTails, while I can't recall ever playing Panzer Dragoon, I've watch the intro.  I was surprised how deep and stirring it was.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:57:15 am »
I don't remember having a real emotional impact.
I probably must've been a little nervous as to what is happening, but I didn't think Sonic would die or anything. With Knuckles I was terrified. He was breathing heavy, was lying down and wasn't moving for some reason I expected him to act like Tails and follow me.

I think the music was fairly spooky as well.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:54:14 am »
Quote from: "Essay"
Quote from: "cube_b3"
Knuckles getting screwed over by Robotnik was fairly emotional.
CrazyTails, while I can't recall ever playing Panzer Dragoon, I've watch the intro.  I was surprised how deep and stirring it was.
Ah the intro. Yeah I always skip it whenever i´m in a retromood and go play the game. But yeah, my first experience with it was special as well. +1

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:31:33 am »
I think one of the most emotional Sega moments I had was when I first heard the music for the "Shrine of Controversy" stage in Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future.

[youtube:2qacshd2]G4lz65H0P5U[/youtube:2qacshd2]

It's just so ethereal and beautiful.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 12:09:42 pm »
I never understood Ecco games. I guess it's one of those hate/love things.

I remember getting really sad for Shadow [spoiler:tcv9ieq1]dying[/spoiler:tcv9ieq1] in SA2.

Shenmue was also a game that grabbed me emotionally. Whenever I played it, I used to turn very calm and serene. Weird huh?
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 02:57:51 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
I remember getting really sad for Shadow [spoiler:cr7b1cp1]dying[/spoiler:cr7b1cp1] in SA2.

I'll be honest, back in 2001 that moment sorta choked me up. I was thinking "wow, they actually killed a character off in a Sonic title and he went out like a hero. Nicely done!" too bad SEGA ruined the whole thing with his resurrection in Heroes.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:33:21 pm »
Did you really think he wasn't going to come back?

I knew in my heart he would've survived, lol.

Unfortunately when Heroes came out none of the reviewers talked about the story leading me to believe it is a multiplayer party game rather than canon continuation of SA2.

I will play Heroes... soon. On GameCube with Ryan Drummond and company one last time (though I hate the Tails VA, if only they had Corey Bringhas).

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 05:25:38 pm »
I once read some article trying to relate everything between SA2 and SH. It was rather complicated, but basically Shadow Chaos Controls himself to the past at the end of SA2. Which is debatable. He was Hyper with the help of the emeralds. I don't remember correctly, but I'm guessing that when Super Sonic downgraded he kept the emeralds, so how could Shadow Chaos Control?

I fondly remember spending hours upon hours debating on this with my best mate while rocking out to Robbie Williams and breeding Chao through the VMU.

Another shocking thing I just remembered from SA2. When you put the disc on a PC you can see some extra cutscenes. One involves Gerald Robotnik's last words before being executed. Very eerie stuff when I was younger.
SEG4GES