Author Topic: Bomberman Reccomendations  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Essay

• Total Meseta: 0
Bomberman Reccomendations
« on: April 03, 2011, 12:07:31 pm »
It occurred to me today that--as popular as the series is--I've never actually played a Bomberman game.  I think it's about high-time.  Does anyone have any ideas on where to start?

The venues I have for facilitating this are:
Wii/GameCube
VC/WiiWare
N64
DS
GameBoy Color/GameBoy Advance

I've heard the Saturn version of Bomberman is the best, but unfortunately I do not own one.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Bomberman Reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:40:09 am »
Aw poop. Wish I could help. I'd have recommended the XBLA version, which is dirt cheap if found on a used compilation disc or bundled with a controller, the Saturn version or the Dreamcast version.

Though I guess I'd say, go for a home console version that has online play. Maybe WiiWare's Bomberman Blast? It looks as though it got good reviews (in the 8/10 range)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:06:35 am »
I've only really played Bomberman Ultra on PSN. It's pretty good though.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 03:34:40 pm »
The Bomberman series is largely the same throught the years and has only changed for weird platformers, racers and stuff.

Easily the best one is Saturn Bomberman, but if you cannot get it, Mega Bomberman on Genesis or Bomberman 94 on TurboGrafx-16 is also good (they are basically the same game), the later of which is on the Virtual Console. There is also a competent set of games on Game Boy Advance, but I forget their names. All of these games have a story mode, with bosses and stuff, something much of the series lacks for whatever reason.

Most of the rest of the games are largely the same, in the cases of stuff like Bomberman Online (Dreamcast) and many releases after, actually removed many features, like the ridable animals. Fans argue that these ruin the games, but as far as I know, they are optional in like every game they are in.

Any other normal release you could find, like Bomberman Party Edition on PlayStation (I think it is on PSN?) are no good at all unless you get a group of friends to play it with. Although when it comes down to it, I would still recommend Saturn Bomberman above all, because it allows you to use a larger amount of people than any in the series that I am aware of otherwise. Also has some cool Hudson characters playable, like Bonk.

Also, it is worth noting that everything besides the ones I recommended sometimes have incredible difficulty spikes. For instance, I have played Bomberman Online for dozens and dozens of hours and have only ever been able to ever defeat ONE out of the six main villains. I am not joking.

Hope this helps.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:48:13 pm »

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:54:17 pm »
Okay, we all know that game sucks, but let's be honest... That is a damn cool boxart. Anyone who disagrees is WRONG!

Offline Essay

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 10:12:49 pm »
*shudder*

Despite never playing a Bomberman game, I've been fascinated with the train-wreck that is Bomberman:  Act Zero.
I still can't figure out why they did that.  I mean--seriously?  You've taken a lovable mascot like Bomberman and just taken the soul out of him?!  Did they hope the older Xbox 360 crowd would take to the "edgy" look and say, So this is what I've been missing out on all these years? and the new look would stick?  Was it just a one-time deal so Hudson could toute:  Looky what we did! and hope that some sales are generated from shock value!?

There's face-lifts (like Sonic, Pac-Man, MegaMan, etc.) and there's botch-jobs like in Act Zero.  It's not like the gameplay or graphics could be a saving grace.  Over-the-shoulder view?  So I can't see the opponent or the bombs?  And the graphics would make the original Xbox blush.

Aaannnyyywwwayyyysss...  Thank you everyone for the advice. :)

Downloaded Bomberman Blast for WiiWare.
There's a lot there for $10.  The 8-player Air Raid mode alone is worth the price of admission (not sure if they have it in the other games; it's where bombs rain from the sky and you have to run from or defend against their blast radius).  Not quite the--if you'll excuse the pun--blast that I thought it'd be, but it's enjoyable.

Not I just have to deal with the fact that I'm not that good at the normal battle mode.  :|