Author Topic: Retro games suck  (Read 8747 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Retro games suck
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 08:46:13 am »
Funny thing:

Retro: Hardcore simple games brah!

New games: Complex awesome thinking games are hardcore, simple games are for mainstream. Suck your Guitar Hero and Peggle!

Who they change.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline ImSmartUrDum

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 04:06:18 pm »
A most pointless video indeed...

Anyway, I'm not sure that nostalgia is a factor, I didn't get a chance to play games on the Atari 2600 well until several decades after it was history and I love many of the games on that platform and grew up with Arcade games and a Sega Saturn.

The arcade version of Virtua Fighter is what I consider my first game (I had briefly played nintendos and megadrives at friends' houses but never really became interested in gaming until Virtua Fighter)

NES however...   meh.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 08:00:28 pm »
Why do we have to label everything?
Retro, hardcore, mainstream, casual.. They are all games.

I do not enjoy all retro games. But I love many of them simply because they are fun games. I like them as much as any modern fun game.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 07:51:32 am »
Yeah, labels suck. I mean, this morning on the way into work I was playing Wind & Water Puzzle Battles on my GP2X Caanoo. Last week it was easy, this week it's hardcore due to difficulty progression. It has pixel graphics, so it could be called "retro", but at the same time it was made only a few years ago. So it's modern. It's a puzzle game, so it can be casual, but the varying difficulty levels can make for some very hardcore gameplay. So it's a retro modern casual hardcore mainstream puzzle game. :P

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 10:49:04 am »
Or just call it "hipster shit" and join the Internet hate machine :D

btw, how does Wind & Water compare to Columns or Lumines (my favorite puzzles)?
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 11:04:21 am »
I'd say W&W has a lot more variety than Columns. The three skill levels have their own unique combo rules and there are a ton of different ways to rack up points.

Doesn't really compare to Lumines, they're both very different games. Definitely check it out! The story mode is probably the best I've ever seen in a puzzle game. It's actually funny, lots of self aware humor. Also, they mix things up by adding in some micro-games like a racer, rhythm game and samurai sword game. It's free for PC and GP2X handhelds. The Dreamcast version is super cheap at redspotgames website (and no, I do not make commission off them).

http://www.wind-water.net/

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 05:23:01 am »
Oh, man, I really wanted to say one thing and I completely forgot...

Here it is: Despite the fact that he does have one or two valid points, the one thing that offends me personally is the implication that gamers in the Genesis/NES/SNES years apparentely had no standards whatsoever.

It's also a rather unfair comparison when you consider that developers back then didn't have the same technology that we have today.

But the irony is that it's because of those earlier games that we now have the game market that we have today filled with gorgeous graphics, real soundtracks and mainstream appeal.

But no, unfortunately, the general gaming population has no idea, no concept of what happened before all of this and how it got to this point.

That's why, at least for me, I look at these older games not with just with nostalgia but with a sense of reverence.

You can look up at any major north-american video game news outlet, they act like nothing exited before, sadly, the Xbox.

As far as licensed games go, I don't think anything changed. They still do what everyone has done since the beggining, imitate the gameplay style of other existing games and usually fail in doing so.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 02:40:35 am »
Quote from: "George"
Funny thing:

Retro: Hardcore simple games brah!

New games: Complex awesome thinking games are hardcore, simple games are for mainstream. Suck your Guitar Hero and Peggle!

Who they change.

lol, nothing ever really changed. Gaming has always had a mainstream/casual side, ever since Atari first found success with Pong in a bar in 1975.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 07:06:48 am »
Jim is full of shit, this guy paints everything with a wide brush, he also once proclaimed that essentially PC gamers were pirates. That's right, that is why I just made a thread about wanting TOTD and Billy Hatcher on Steam, you know so I could then take the pleasure in avoiding the purchase altogether and just going with the torrent!

Anyways, I will tell you this about retro gaming. It isn't nostalgia, it was better, I have introduced people to Genesis games, people who have never played games from that era and they appreciate them. In particular one friend who had never played games until about a year or two ago and was an absolute Sony fanboy, I got him to buy a Genesis and a copy of Sonic 2, the oldest game he had played up until then was Daxter on PSP, and he now loves Genesis (and SEGA). The real big universal crowd pleaser on 'Cast is Powerstone for anybody looking for a good game to introduce DC with.

Furthermore, I am playing through Shining Force: Legacy of Great Intention right now, never played it before. Great game. Also, used to always say Shenmue 1/2 were possibly my favorite games of all time, then I was accused of being blinded by nostalgia. Replaying Shenmue right now, it's better than I remember, and most of the issues mentioned, like pacing or unskippable text? Enable area jump in options and game mode for in-game conversations. Not really valid complaints when developers left you options to fix said complaints  :roll:

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 01:51:00 pm »
I can understand that these days a game that costs 60 bucks you can kinda get your money's worth (even though, I hardly buy full priced games anymore, since the games I want almost always get marked down 3 months later), but like I said before I sorta hate it when journalists and bloggers get to the point where they think too much of themselves and their opinions and this is the Internet, there's nothing you can write about that someone, somewhere will get rubbed the wrong way.

But the older games and consoles, should at the very least get acknowledged, for what they were trying to achieve considering the limitations of the time.