Author Topic: Nagoshi announce BlackPanther 2 [PSP], announces RGG studio, RGG5 in developmnte  (Read 18477 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
I'm all up for new teams. I think SEGA should get people they trust to head teams, like Nagoshi, give them their one chance at a new IP and if it does the best, they get pay raise and bigger exposure for their next titles.

Lets let their talent speak.

It's not really a new Team and no different from what happen with the Sonic Team changing from AM#8 to Sonic Team  even to the point,  of using the game name for your Team name. In the end is yet another new name for this Team and there is no new talent as its all the same Team.

I really don't know how much more Kikuchi-san has to do before he is given his own Team to make games, other than leave SEGA. This isn't an anti Nagoshi-san bash has SEGA needs to start to get people taking charge of Teams who can take over from the old guard of Naka-san, Nagoshi-san, Oguchi-san and do for SEGA today what the old guard did yesterday. That is an issue for SEGA and where changing the name of the team alterers nothing really

I think if there is enough change, its OK. I think Assassins Creed is a brand that does this and everyone can't wait for the next installment.

Assassins Creed (2008)
Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles (2008)
Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (2009
Assassin's Creed II (2009)
Assassin's Creed II: Discovery (2009)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010)

Lets not really count Handheld games as in most games they're be outsourced and programmed by a different Team (that goes for most games series btw) . Ubisoft has really milked AS and we'll soon be on our 4 game in the series (compared to the 5 Yakuza games, including Kezan) But The tech with AS is getting old and I think even Ubisoft will have to make drastic changes to the series after revelations. To Ubi software credit they have made new locations and worlds and introduced a pretty spiffy On-Line multi player which has helped keep the game fresh 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
I think what Nagoshi's done is establish an effective business model for an ongoing series.  I think we can expect things to continue in this manner, with a couple of main titles and perhaps a couple of spin-offs being built on the same engine in more or less annual releases.  Then a break as the game's fundamentals are re-evaluated and rebuilt, presumably with a new or noticeably improved engine, and then another series of releases. 

Speaking of Ubi, they definitely threw more variation into the Prince of Persia series from one title to the next, to its detriment.  The changes in tone were just too drastic from one title to the next (I did really like the art direction of the cel-shaded one, though).  I really prefer the smooth continuity of the Yakuza series. It's like the smooth, refined flavor of Suntory Yamazaki 18-year-old single malt whiskey, which is sure to enchant any single malt lover.  Full-bodied with spicy cherry-like notes, it smells of toffee and has a lovely, long, dry finish.  Uhh... what was I talking about again...?

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
I only consider things milking when quality suffers from it. I don't think the yakuza series is being milked but rather worked effeciently with the engine. It's not like the games ended up short on length, suffered from bugs or had gameplay issues.

The games actually get good reviews each time, and yet still they decided to move on. This is why I am really starting to like the yakuza team.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:51:02 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Team Andromeda

I only consider things milking when quality suffers from it. I don't think the yakuza series is being milked but rather worked effeciently with the engine. It's not like the games ended up short on length, suffered from bugs or had gameplay issues.

Fair points, but if look at the Sonic games  Sonic went through 7 games (Sonic 1,2,3,S&K, CD Sonic Adv 1& II) in the series on the consoles (looking over the HH)  before Sonic and the team Rep began to take a slide and hammering, even Tomb raider had a dam mighty fine run on the PS before CORE and the game rep took a beating.

If the Team have a 3 year development period between each, then it really isn't so much an issue granted.

Speaking of Ubi, they definitely threw more variation into the Prince of Persia series from one title to the next, to its detriment.  The changes in tone were just too drastic from one title to the next

POP (360) was and is a lovely title , but then went too far with TFS imo. It not a bad game, just nothing new, seen it all before and the Tech not really that great (bit of a letdown given the engine it was running on)

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
They could just be higher resolution renders for print/web.  The background textures seem to be intended for a much lower resolution.

Anyhow, I'm happy that the main series will continue and they'll also be working on other series as well.  Although the term "milking" gets thrown around a lot here, they haven't made a bad Yakuza yet, and IMO each one has improved upon the previous one in huge ways.  It's not milking... it's more like "strike while the iron is hot."

Well if improved includes they found different ways to end the finale on top of a tower,then yeah your right. The milking situation that people are complaining about is laughable at best. RGG was the type of game that was always going to get annual sequels because of the investment on its engine, alone. The same thing would have happened with SHENMUE, apart from the fact that that game had a definate ending(unless Sega somehow found a way to spin the series off using the same engine which they probably would have done if they thought they could get away with it.) of course SHENMUE hit a few stumbling blocks which RGG/YAKUZA never had and overcame. The only real gap this series has had(release wise) was 2007 when no RGG title was released until the following year. And that was down to changinging the engine slightly and implementing some new tech to the game as well as  moving to a different platform. If that's what's happening with 5 then it will probably appear in 2013.

Offline Team Andromeda

RGG was the type of game that was always going to get annual sequels because of the investment on its engine, alone

It's still comes down to sales, that's always a huge factor . There's been plenty of games that's invested millions into R&D and engines, only thanks to poor sales we'll never get to see a sequel (even for games planned to be have more than one); Just look at how much APB cost to make, but due to poor sales and reception , we'll never get a sequel and the development team paid with their Jobs sadly enough
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

It's still comes down to sales, that's always a huge factor . There's been plenty of games that's invested millions into R&D and engines, only thanks to poor sales we'll never get to see a sequel (even for games planned to be have more than one); Just look at how much APB cost to make, but due to poor sales and reception , we'll never get a sequel and the development team paid with their Jobs sadly enough

I already said that unless you conviently missed this..

The same thing would have happened with SHENMUE, apart from the fact that that game had a definate ending(unless Sega somehow found a way to spin the series off using the same engine which they probably would have done if they thought they could get away with it.) of course SHENMUE hit a few stumbling blocks which RGG/YAKUZA never had and overcame.
Its obvious the games have to make money, just one game made more money than the other did. If there was any stumbling blocks for RGG is the western market but i wouldn't call the localisations flops considering the original titles made their money in japan.
As for your statement about Nagoshi getting a team and someone else not getting any,well the days that a team was gathered or formed just to make a new game are long gone as well as the great team line up of the DC era. Not that Masayoshi Kikuchi shouldn't get the chance if he's being stopped at all but that's the point,he isn't.
My problem is that at least with Sonic Team, the games were worldwide known so it made sense to form that team into a studio while RGG is not worldwide known and the point of this studio is to create worldwide brands. And judging from Sonic team's leagcy they ultimatly failed in crafting succesful IP because most of them didn't become franchises for various reasons including a reluctance for Sega to create sequels of half of them. If RGG studio wants to acheive AM2 heights in crafting great games i don't see that as impossible, ST did the same thing. the problem is whether they can create succesful titles in this era of megabuck gaming with the added pressure of creating several RGG games on top of that.

Offline Team Andromeda

As for your statement about Nagoshi getting a team and someone else not getting any,well the days that a team was gathered or formed just to make a new game are long gone as well as the great team line up of the DC era. Not that Masayoshi Kikuchi shouldn't get the chance if he's being stopped at all but that's the point,he isn't.

I don't know why you quote your own post and then respond to it ?, but anway ....

It's nothing against Nagoshi-san it's just that the SEGA to brass should now (and should have done a while back) now give some of the younger members, their own chance to shine and have head their own Teams and have their own lines: just like how the likes of Nagoshi san, Mizuguchi-san, rised through the ranks and were given their own Teams .

I really think it's about time Osaki-san, Ueda-san and especially Kikuchi-san should be given their own teams for the good of SEGA future and helping to nurture talent with-in SEGA

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Well if improved includes they found different ways to end the finale on top of a tower,then yeah your right.

I was thinking more along the lines of building new cities as well as underground and rooftop levels doubling the size of Kamurocho, adding fighting tournaments and fighter training games, quadrupling the number of main characters with corresponding skill trees, adding the weapon-crafting game...

Quote from: ROJM
The only real gap this series has had(release wise) was 2007 when no RGG title was released until the following year. And that was down to changinging the engine slightly and implementing some new tech to the game as well as  moving to a different platform. If that's what's happening with 5 then it will probably appear in 2013.

I'm sure moving the series from PS2 to PS3 involved creating a completely new engine, not changing the previous engine slightly.  But yeah, 2013 sounds about right to me.  I also hope that they'll be able to use the extra development time to more closely synchronize Japanese and Western release dates.

Offline ROJM

I don't know why you quote your own post and then respond to it ?, but anway ....

It's nothing against Nagoshi-san it's just that the SEGA to brass should now (and should have done a while back) now give some of the younger members, their own chance to shine and have head their own Teams and have their own lines: just like how the likes of Nagoshi san, Mizuguchi-san, rised through the ranks and were given their own Teams .

I really think it's about time Osaki-san, Ueda-san and especially Kikuchi-san should be given their own teams for the good of SEGA future and helping to nurture talent with-in SEGA

I know you suffer from dyslexia but i didn't respond to my own post.Anyone but you can see that. If you thought i did you wouldn't have replied to the statement that followed which suggests you're on a bloody wind up. Just can't respond without twisting, huh?

And again, those days have long gone. Its not like the others you mentioned haven't been given games to work on where they have a bit of leverage anyway. Stop overreacting just because your favourite whipping boy has a new studio, which isn't really all that new.

Offline Team Andromeda

I know you suffer from dyslexia but i didn't respond to my own post

?. You quoted your own post

The same thing would have happened with SHENMUE, apart from the fact that that game had a definate ending(unless Sega somehow found a way to spin the series off using the same engine which they probably would have done if they thought they could get away with it.) of course SHENMUE hit a few stumbling blocks which RGG/YAKUZA never had and overcame.

and then responded  to that quote with this

Its obvious the games have to make money, just one game made more money than the other did. If there was any stumbling blocks for RGG is the western market but i wouldn't call the localisations flops considering the original titles made their money in japan.
My problem is that at least with Sonic Team, the games were worldwide known so it made sense to form that team into a studio while RGG is not worldwide known and the point of this studio is to create worldwide brands. And judging from Sonic team's leagcy they ultimatly failed in crafting succesful IP because most of them didn't become franchises for various reasons including a reluctance for Sega to create sequels of half of them. If RGG studio wants to acheive AM2 heights in crafting great games i don't see that as impossible, ST did the same thing. the problem is whether they can create succesful titles in this era of megabuck gaming with the added pressure of creating several RGG games on top of that.

You know responding to your own quote, but anway.....

Its not like the others you mentioned haven't been given games to work on where they have a bit of leverage anyway

Anyone that is working in the industry is given a game to work on . That is not the same has being given your own Team or Studio to lead and run their pipelines as you see fit, That is a big step up on the pay scale and your role in the company 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

?. You quoted your own post

and then responded  to that quote with this

Wrong, I was showing YOU the quote where i said RGG made money. Then i followed it up with the reply stating to you. Again if you thought i was responding to myself why the hell reply to it then with the exact response on what i supposedly said to myself? Your argument never makes sense. Not suprised really.

You know responding to your own quote, but anway.....

Bad grammer but what the hey. Another example of plain stupidity.

Anyone that is blah blah blah blah blah...

I would respond to the post but yet again you keep proving that all you are intrested in is antagonising people and create fictional stories about them. Until you learn not to do otherwise and have a normal discussion,I can't be bothered with you.
Unfortunatly  you will have to have a last word.....

Offline Team Andromeda

Wrong, I was showing YOU the quote where i said RGG made money

You simply quoted your self, which was my point . And btw I don't think anyone as every made out that Yakuza 1 and II on the PS never made money and it was even mentioned in your quote in the 1st place

Anyone that is blah blah blah blah blah...

I would respond to the post but yet again you keep proving that all you are intrested in is antagonising people and create fictional stories about them. Until you learn not to do otherwise and have a normal discussion,I can't be bothered with you.
Unfortunatly  you will have to have a last word.....

You're just ripping the piss? . I never ever posted 'Anyone that is blah blah blah blah blah'  but please.... do carry on

And as for Nagoshi-san being arrogant, always late for meetings that is spot on the money, that doesn't make him a bad producer or person per say and as for stories: We're all still waiting for to announce this game that Naka takes credit for, but never worked on, that's a nice little tale; The best Irony is Nagoshi-san  is in almost every SEGA credits there is these days. I've seen him giving interviews about Val and the like (even was the 1st talk about Canvas) when he's never worked on them personally, but somehow you don't have any issue with that, just Naka.

Mind you, its you... So I guess its just another piss take and wind up
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is