Author Topic: Psyched about Daytona USA coming to PSN and XBLA!  (Read 6134 times)

Offline Grounder

• Total Meseta: 0
Psyched about Daytona USA coming to PSN and XBLA!
« on: October 22, 2011, 03:24:34 pm »
This is great. I'm really looking forward to getting this classic arcade racer on PSN. They should also bring it to the 3DS (that would be an awesome 3DS port!). Is anyone else psyched? I remember when we got our first Saturn back in 1998, this was one of the games I played the most on it. And who could forget that catchy song:DAYTOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Psyched about Daytona USA coming to PSN and XBLA!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 03:48:59 pm »
I've already purchased 3 versions of the game, but I'd consider picking it up again with trophy support.

Offline AshleyAshes

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 12:46:07 pm »
Leader Boards.  That's what a port liket his is about.  Emulators leave me with a local scoreboard with just my name on it, but over XBLA and PSN I get a scoreboard with strangers and friends on it.  We can see each others scores and compete.  That's what I think is the best advantage here.

This is my favorite arcade game, maybe just because I have memories of being a kid at the arcade with no quarters and pretending to drive it anyway.  This 'just works' no configuration like an emulator and brain dead online access.

I also hope it supports SystemLink, even if it's unlikely. :)

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:38:08 pm »
I like scoreboards as well, I just wish more of my Friends on XBL would play SEGA racing games. The global scoreboards for SEGA Rally Online Arcade got cheated way too quickly for it to serve a purpose.

Daytona was one of the games that sold me on Saturn, since I loved playing it in arcades. I borrowed the first Saturn Daytona, but never bought it since it was such an early/sloppy port. I got CCE though Day 1, and it was glorious, but I missed out on the original cheesy music since it was replaced with alternate cheesy music. The Dreamcast version was prettier, but the power sliding felt way off.

I'm curious how this arcade port will fare, since I was never great at the steering and pedals, but I was once really good with the Saturn digital and analog controllers.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 08:51:21 pm »
I was going to get it on Xbox Live Arcade, but I will probably get it on PlayStation Network. Only two more days left... The game came out of nowhere and has no hype... What awful marketing on SEGA's part...

My PSN is Meat-Waffles if anyone wants to play.

Offline Gagaman

• Total Meseta: 2
    • http://segamemories.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 01:08:31 pm »
A bit miffed that the Euro PSN version is an extra month away, as next month is crazy hetic as it is. Still, day one purchase, it's taken far too long for this is get the arcade port it deserves and hopefully this will sell well enough for them to want to port more over, especially games that never got a port at all like Scud Race, Daytona USA 2 etc.

Offline AshleyAshes

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:14:55 pm »
A bit miffed that the Euro PSN version is an extra month away, as next month is crazy hetic as it is. Still, day one purchase, it's taken far too long for this is get the arcade port it deserves and hopefully this will sell well enough for them to want to port more over, especially games that never got a port at all like Scud Race, Daytona USA 2 etc.

The problem with those other games is that they havn't been ported to anything.  Most of the Sega arcade games that are on XBLA are ported from Windows/PC based arcade hardware or from console ports.

Outrun Online Arcade originates from Xbox1(Chihiro)/PC/Lindbergh platforms
Sega Rally Online Arcade originates from the Europa-R platform.
Daytona USA was ported to the Ring Wide platform and likely ported to Xbox from there.
After Burner Climax was ported from Lindbergh as well.

It's a lot easier to port this modern PC based code to a console than to port up something from a bajillion years ago.

VOOT is probably the only non-emulated Sega arcade game on XBLA, and while it's a beautiful port, I get the feeling that it's 1200MSP price tag, 400MSP more than any other Sega arcade game on XBLA, was a result of the cost of porting the game from Model 2 to Xbox 360. 

More ports are totally possible, sure, I'm just suggesting that Sega is focusing on the 'Easy and cheap' to port games right now.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 01:43:25 am »
I was going to get it on Xbox Live Arcade, but I will probably get it on PlayStation Network. Only two more days left... The game came out of nowhere and has no hype... What awful marketing on SEGA's part...

My PSN is Meat-Waffles if anyone wants to play.
I'll play you on the Xbox 360 version. SegaBits needs another get together like for OutRun Online and I don't think we did one on All-Stars Racing. But let's make this a beautiful race.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 08:09:37 am »
I'll play you on the Xbox 360 version. SegaBits needs another get together like for OutRun Online and I don't think we did one on All-Stars Racing. But let's make this a beautiful race.

I'll be getting the 360 version, so I'll be up for a race. I'm usually on at during weeknights but have more time on the weekends.

Offline segaismysavior

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 11:43:37 am »
My verdict: this port is fantastic. Even though it's not a visual update or remake, everything has a nice retro look to it, and only a few textures look noticeably smeared. The game controls great and has plenty of additional modes to make it worth $10.

There is some pop-up, but it's mostly on large objects in the distance, and never anything right in front of you.

Offline Gagaman

• Total Meseta: 2
    • http://segamemories.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 11:59:00 am »
The problem with those other games is that they havn't been ported to anything.  Most of the Sega arcade games that are on XBLA are ported from Windows/PC based arcade hardware or from console ports.

Outrun Online Arcade originates from Xbox1(Chihiro)/PC/Lindbergh platforms
Sega Rally Online Arcade originates from the Europa-R platform.
Daytona USA was ported to the Ring Wide platform and likely ported to Xbox from there.
After Burner Climax was ported from Lindbergh as well.

It's a lot easier to port this modern PC based code to a console than to port up something from a bajillion years ago.

VOOT is probably the only non-emulated Sega arcade game on XBLA, and while it's a beautiful port, I get the feeling that it's 1200MSP price tag, 400MSP more than any other Sega arcade game on XBLA, was a result of the cost of porting the game from Model 2 to Xbox 360. 

More ports are totally possible, sure, I'm just suggesting that Sega is focusing on the 'Easy and cheap' to port games right now.

To be fair, they did out of no where port L.A Machine-guns and Gunblade NY to the Wii last year, games that have never had a port anywhere. I don't think porting games that haven't been before is out of question based on that, especially now they have a team in Japan focused on ports, which included this and After Burner Climax. Only thing that would get in the way would be if they lost source codes.

Offline AshleyAshes

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 09:04:58 pm »
To be fair, they did out of no where port L.A Machine-guns and Gunblade NY to the Wii last year, games that have never had a port anywhere. I don't think porting games that haven't been before is out of question based on that, especially now they have a team in Japan focused on ports, which included this and After Burner Climax. Only thing that would get in the way would be if they lost source codes.

Okay, that's a good point.  I forgot about those two games.  That said, I did wonder how much money those games actually made.  Seemed like something that wouldn't have sold well and would have done better for PSN/XBLA.

So, anyone up for organizing a Type B endurance race? :P

Offline segaismysavior

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 11:07:11 am »
Last night I played an 8-player, 20 lap bout on Speedway, and it was insanely fun. There was never a clear winner, and being knocked back to last place wasn't a death sentence since you could easily rejoin the group after more people were slammed into the walls.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 03:42:05 pm »
I love all the goofy elements to this game: the hidden sign, Sonic, the dancing statue.

Is the horse playable in this version?