Author Topic: Nagoshi on Binary Domain and why he won't leave Sega  (Read 3110 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Nagoshi on Binary Domain and why he won't leave Sega
« on: December 09, 2011, 07:47:03 am »
Nagoshi was at a recent event where he talks about Binary Domain and his and sega's intentions for the western market and their internal development.

he also said this

We've seen a big shake-up lately, with high-powered Japanese creators leaving companies, most significantly Inafune from Capcom. You're still at Sega, and it seems like you're satisfied there.

TN: Well, I don't know if I'd call myself all that high-powered [laughs]. It's hard to say whether the trend is a good thing and for everyone's best interests, but a creator needs to be someplace where he can shine the brightest, and that's not necessarily always going to happen by going it alone.

It's not that I'm satisfied at Sega so much as I really owe one to Sega -- they taught me how much fun making games can be. I doubt I would leave this company in 10 or even 20 years. Unless something really drastic happens, I'm not going to leave on my own volition.

full interview here
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6564/the_man_who_wont_leave_sega_.php?page=1

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Nagoshi on Binary Domain and why he won't leave Sega
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 01:15:21 pm »
nice find ...

i will read the whole interview later.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:26:39 am »
It's nice to see at least one big name developer sticking with a studio these days.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:41 am »
yeah and when you think on what Sega had circa 2000. if Sega treated things better we can only imagine what games the others would have come up with for Sega.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 11:51:15 am »
It really is too bad :(. It's sad to see that it's happened to Capcom as well.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 01:18:21 pm »
It really is too bad :(. It's sad to see that it's happened to Capcom as well.

Aye, its actually sad to see what has happened to all ex sega staff,they seem incapable to produce a great solid game like they did when they were in Sega. i think its to do with one undeniable fact. In sega there was a safety net,the developers could make any game they wanted and the main board would have always supported them,so they took more risks in creating original and innovative software. But now that safety net is gone they have to make games that can make money and appeal to everyone. Half of the games i've seen/played from these former sega alumni are very toned down versions of titles that more likely would have reached their potential within Sega.
Unfortunatly even the safety net within sega has been removed but now and again we do see glimpses of the type of games that sega was built on.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 12:08:17 pm »
Very intresting article about Binary Domain and a semi revelation of sorts concerning another game..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-20-binary-domain-east-meets-west-preview