Author Topic: Nostalgia Sucker Punch - Topic of removing rose-tainted glasses  (Read 3216 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Nostalgia Sucker Punch - Topic of removing rose-tainted glasses
« on: December 07, 2012, 06:31:55 pm »

(pic semi-related)

I recently picked up Headhunter, the PS2 version for dirt cheap and once in a while, I feel like either I held Headhunter to such an unresonably high esteem or my 2001-self just didn't know any better at the time.
One thing I can understand about it, when I first played Headhunter, sandbox-style games were still very much in their early infancy, this was all pre-GTA III. On the Dreamcast, there were very few games that allowed you to interact with the enviroment and do a lot of stuff in that world. This was kinda archaic for it's time, because the free-roaming aspect was confined to riding a motorcycle, which I still despise to this day, because the conrols are and will always be s*** in that game. But back then it felt fresh.

The one thing that also helped Headhunter was it's attempt to parody Robocop and all the silly sci-fi elements, not to mention that Jack Wade was pretty much Clint Eastwood and Chuck Norris rolled into one.

But after all that, I felt like the game is just ancient, the graphics aren't much to look at, the justaposition between the live-actors and the CG actors is pretty awkward. But the soundtrack is still one of the best things about it.

So... have you ever felt sucker-punched by nostalgia with any particular game from PS1/N64/Dreamcast/PS2?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Nostalgia Sucker Punch - Topic of removing rose-tainted glasses
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:04:20 pm »
Virtua Fighter 2 after playing Final Showdown.

Holy crap. I mean, it's still a good game for it's time I guess, but... holy crap. I had no idea what the fuck I was doing.

Offline ungibbed

• Total Meseta: 4
  • hater of haters...
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:09:07 pm »
One of my personal favorite games that was on the original PlayStation and then made insanely wonderful on the Dreamcast.  Legacy of Main: Soul Reaver.

Some of the game has aged well in the audio department, the visuals on the other hand didn't fare so well. I still own the PlayStation version, but it's tough to ignore the chunktastic graphics and insane dithering patterns thanks to the 15 bit color space limit on the original Sony console.
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 05:18:07 pm »
Crash Bandicoot.

When I first saw the first game, I loved it...but my god they made the first game a very very very badly programmed game....the perfectionist bullshit you have to do in some levels are crazy!

Oh, and you can only 100% the game IF you don't die and collect every box.

Good for it's time...hardly playable now.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:56:41 pm »

(pic semi-related)

I recently picked up Headhunter, the PS2 version for dirt cheap and once in a while, I feel like either I held Headhunter to such an unresonably high esteem or my 2001-self just didn't know any better at the time.
One thing I can understand about it, when I first played Headhunter, sandbox-style games were still very much in their early infancy, this was all pre-GTA III. On the Dreamcast, there were very few games that allowed you to interact with the enviroment and do a lot of stuff in that world. This was kinda archaic for it's time, because the free-roaming aspect was confined to riding a motorcycle, which I still despise to this day, because the conrols are and will always be s*** in that game. But back then it felt fresh.

The one thing that also helped Headhunter was it's attempt to parody Robocop and all the silly sci-fi elements, not to mention that Jack Wade was pretty much Clint Eastwood and Chuck Norris rolled into one.

But after all that, I felt like the game is just ancient, the graphics aren't much to look at, the justaposition between the live-actors and the CG actors is pretty awkward. But the soundtrack is still one of the best things about it.

So... have you ever felt sucker-punched by nostalgia with any particular game from PS1/N64/Dreamcast/PS2?

i felt sucker punched by a sega game called shinobi of the 3ds.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 08:44:59 am »
Heart of Darkness.

I still love the game, but the controls are pretty slippery, the story is absolute garbage and the ending is very lackluster....

But the experience....that was what I love about it.

It still holds up today...but I guess it's a game where you need to be VERY patient with....
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.