Author Topic: most obscure sega accessories  (Read 11319 times)

Offline stang2712

• Total Meseta: 1
    • my deviantart
most obscure sega accessories
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:17:00 pm »
sega made some very obscure accessories that alot of other companies would never make and in my ever expanding search for sega knowledge i would like to see what yall think are the most obscure or hardest to know about accessories 

mine would be the sega power strip because it doesn't make much sense that sega would need to be producing power strip or perhaps the rez trance vibrator because if your old enough to know what a vibrator is used for its self explanatory

Offline ptpattycakes

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: most obscure sega accessories
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:52:39 am »
I still think about this thing from time to time and how flat out stupid it is!  Its called the Sega Activator..... It was supposed to detect your movements while you stood in the middle of this ring....  As you may have guessed it was a piece of crap!  I still remember feeling ripped of when I was a kid.  I spent my birthday money on this trash!

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:56:13 am »
sega made some very obscure accessories that alot of other companies would never make and in my ever expanding search for sega knowledge i would like to see what yall think are the most obscure or hardest to know about accessories 

mine would be the sega power strip because it doesn't make much sense that sega would need to be producing power strip or perhaps the rez trance vibrator because if your old enough to know what a vibrator is used for its self explanatory

SEGA's Fishing Rod on the Dreamcast doubles up as a motion remote akin to the Wii's Wiimote! Some guy uses it for Virtua Tennis on Youtube from what I remember!
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 09:44:36 am »
Wouldn't call the fishing rod or activator obscure, still had games you could use for it.
Most obscure would be the 4 player adapter megapad and of course the DC boardband adaptor that came out way to late for the DC and way too early for Boardband to be widely used by the masses.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:47:56 am »
The SEGA Action Chair for sure! In fact the only photo that I've seen (shown on SEGA Retro) is from an ebay auction that I actually attempted to bid on. They even note the ebay auction in the wiki, that is how rare the damn thing is:

http://segaretro.org/Sega_Action_Chair

I remember back when the auction was going on, it was one of those "for pick up only" deals, and amazingly I was only an hour away from the seller. I posted about it here and a lot of us were getting excited about the prospect of a SEGAbits forum member owning a piece of obscure SEGA accessory history. Sadly, the dude didn't seem to want to negotiate and wasn't accepting my offers. $500 was what he wanted, despite the thing being rusted and it wasn't made clear if it was in full working order. Damn shame, because I would have loved to own it.

edit: Oh shit! Another one has appeared! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis-Action-Chair-Seat-Controller-Ultra-Rare-/350716852736?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a85a7a00

Still a bit too pricey for my blood... wish the handles weren't so nasty and that it came with the manual.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:50:47 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 03:40:26 pm »
Here's the most obscure accessory  I have

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:36:12 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 05:19:49 pm »
Awesome! Can you actually still use it? I know the Dreamcast karaoke is useless now due to relying on an Internet connection and a dedicated karaoke server.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:34:02 am »
Awesome! Can you actually still use it? I know the Dreamcast karaoke is useless now due to relying on an Internet connection and a dedicated karaoke server.

Yes the unit works with any music CD any Mega CD owner may have( you can also use the unit on any CD based player with left or right sound outputs as well ) . The only downside to the unit is that it needs its own power source , so it takes over ones power sockets when having the Mega CD,Mega Drive and Mega CD-Karaoke plugged in .

The Karaoke mode works a treat too and makes one Mega CD unit look super cool

Couple more pics of the back and side of the unit

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:59:17 am »
It's not super rare, but I have the virtual on Saturn Twin Sticks, and an adapter to use it on the dreamcast. 

Offline TJKitsune

• Total Meseta: 13
  • That Crazy Fox
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 02:30:57 pm »
Not sure about obscure, but...unique..  The Samba de Amigo Maracas!  Seriously..  An accessory used only on the Samba de Amigo games.  Did ver. 2000 ever make it to the US?  I snagged up the maracas when they were released with the original Samba de Amigo and had a blast with them.  Was kinda sad when they re-released the game for the Wii that Sega didn't release wireless versions of the maracas...

And what about the mic used for Seaman?  Really wished Sega made more games that would incorporated that thing...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 02:52:56 pm »
Death Crimson 2 used the mic, it allowed you to record your own voice for enemy death sounds! GameFaqs has a guide for the menus, it's pretty easy to do. I made it so enemies yelled "whatthefuck!?" and "that felt gooood!" when hit.  :afroman:

Offline ROJM

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 07:53:16 am »

The real most obscure is a system that never made it out but i know some models did hit the market. The Sega VR. Ultimatly we all know that VR bombed as a concept but i still think this was a neat idea but like the 32x executed wrong. IMHO this system should have been used for the Saturn in mind rather than the aging Megadrive.

But the Sega 3D glasses? Now whatta thing that was.

These things are really as good as the games available for it. I think i only enjoyed one game that used it. Its good a sa collectable though. 

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:03:34 am by ROJM »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 08:03:53 am »

Sega Lock on.  Another obscure thing that came out in the nineties from Sega Japan.

Sega of america with tiger however went with the sega pocket arcade and sega pod. Good collectables if you can find them mint.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:27:16 am by ROJM »

3raser

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 05:49:12 am »
The worst accessories ever made have been made by a company called MadCatz. They make turbo controllers in which some buttons do absolutely nothing. They made VMUs for the Dreamcast that did not have screens. The list goes on and on. They are the worst accessory company that I have ever experienced as a gamer.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 02:22:09 pm »

The real most obscure is a system that never made it out but i know some models did hit the market. The Sega VR. Ultimatly we all know that VR bombed as a concept but i still think this was a neat idea but like the 32x executed wrong. IMHO this system should have been used for the Saturn in mind rather than the aging Megadrive.

But the Sega 3D glasses? Now whatta thing that was.

These things are really as good as the games available for it. I think i only enjoyed one game that used it. Its good a sa collectable though. 

i actually really wanted this sega vr to come out i just loved how u look around and see other things when u look left

but dem bitches were crying cause they got all dizzy. if u dont want it dont buy it right?. it is a pitty it didnt come out. on utube i saw some serious good games in 3d of cours it was much like mechwarrior but this time with sega vr u could look left and right and up. thats cool right?

nowadays ofcourse wii u does that as well and some iphone games when u point the iphone up u will see the sky.

so as u see sega was the first AGAIN