Author Topic: How should Sega approch the new gen of game systems.  (Read 5538 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
How should Sega approch the new gen of game systems.
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:42:02 am »
In the previous generation of game systems, Sega too a western focus approch which meant a large portion of sega software during the Wii,PS3 and 360 era were made by Sega west (CONDEMNED, MARVEL STUDIOS line, FULL AUTO hotdOVERKILL etc) or titles geared towards a western gamer(BINARY DOMAIN,MAD WORLD, BAYONETTA, RESONANCE OF FATE). But ultimatly that failed. The only platform that really benefited from this startedgy was the PC with the TOTAL WAR and FOOTBALL MANAGER series and the aquisition of companies that focus on digital or PC genre titles like Relic)

So my question is how should Sega approch the upcoming next generation of systems. So far we have heard about Sonic being tied to the WiiU/3Ds an a genral focus on digital titles. But should sega continue the statedgy as before or try to let SOJ become the focus on titles that will see internationally? Should we see a better arcade to console port policy and finally see some titles that have been MIA for over three console genrations now like VC3. What do you think Sega should do?

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: How should Sega approch the new gen of game systems.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 02:53:56 pm »
They've already committed quite a bit to the Wii U.

I'd say, go "all-in" with Nintendo and and reserve your hardest of hardcore titles for PC and Multiplat with a stronger emphasis on PC than xbox and ps4.

Minimize risk by committing further to digital platforms. They really really should do anything and everything possible to elevate their brand on Steam. Steam really has come a long way to make PC gaming a viable alternative to console gaming and with other publishers foolishly trying to compete by setting up their own laughable PC digital distribution channels (cough EA, MS cough), Sega has a real chance to establish footing there. Why not make the PC the unofficial Sega Console?

Sega's experimental titles on Xbox and PS4 go ignored. They should go solely on the Wii U where they will face less competition in the western markets from western publishers. Resonance of Fate could have killed on a JRPG starved system like the Wii.

Sega's Arcade titles should go to Android and iOS. Arcade titles fit in perfectly with the pacing of a "pick up and go" tablet game and can be the more hardcore alternative to the casual games offered in that space.

Sega shouldn't change the games that they make. Their games are great. The issue here is not quality (for the most part). It's timing, marketing and platform decisions that bury them.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:00:07 pm by Randroid »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:32:14 pm »
With regards to ps4 and XboxOne, they should definitely wait it out and tread carefully.  Lord knows those games are going to be incredibly expensive to make. 

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 01:58:17 am »
Most of us are probably not gonna get all consoles at launch so we'll pick the first console of our preference. But with what we know now, I want them to avoid the xboxOne at all costs. So that leave PS4 and WIIU, and i'll be fine with both. But Wii U gets my preference because I know that im gonna love its exclusives more than ps4's anounced exclusives.

That will be my personal preference.

Strategically for them I really can't say. Wii U is in a tough spot, and we dont really know how well the PS4 is gonna do. The contrast between risk vs profit is a lot bigger on the PS4 since they will not only have to spend a lot of money to compete with 1st party's greatness, but the chances of it actually being worth it is gonna be tough during launch. If it sells bad, than that'll be even worse.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:41:22 am »
They've already committed quite a bit to the Wii U.

I'd say, go "all-in" with Nintendo and and reserve your hardest of hardcore titles for PC and Multiplat with a stronger emphasis on PC than xbox and ps4.

Minimize risk by committing further to digital platforms. They really really should do anything and everything possible to elevate their brand on Steam. Steam really has come a long way to make PC gaming a viable alternative to console gaming and with other publishers foolishly trying to compete by setting up their own laughable PC digital distribution channels (cough EA, MS cough), Sega has a real chance to establish footing there. Why not make the PC the unofficial Sega Console?

Sega's experimental titles on Xbox and PS4 go ignored. They should go solely on the Wii U where they will face less competition in the western markets from western publishers. Resonance of Fate could have killed on a JRPG starved system like the Wii.

Sega's Arcade titles should go to Android and iOS. Arcade titles fit in perfectly with the pacing of a "pick up and go" tablet game and can be the more hardcore alternative to the casual games offered in that space.

Sega shouldn't change the games that they make. Their games are great. The issue here is not quality (for the most part). It's timing, marketing and platform decisions that bury them.

I agree with this post but i really like to know what they are thinking in Sega's digital depatment at the moment. They are willing to distribute turkeys like JACK LUMBER and crap like that ZAXXON game which didn't resemble ZAXXON but not publish that proposed ECCO title from the original creators. Mobile/digital is the ideal why to bring new versions of old Sega franchises without having to put big budgets to them and make them work in a HD 3D environment. 

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 03:19:22 am »
With regards to ps4 and XboxOne, they should definitely wait it out and tread carefully.  Lord knows those games are going to be incredibly expensive to make. 

SEGA Japan can ill afford another mess up . They need to forget about the Wii U for anything other than SONIC and just go the full hog with PS4 and XBox One productions and where 90% of their output is multi platform .  Lots of games are now being scaled down to run on the 360 and PS3 . The new consoles will mean that doesn't need to happen , so I doubt games will cost that much more to make (not like the jump from PS2 to PS3 games)

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 06:28:33 am »
But technically that's what SOJ did focus on, the PS3 and xbox360 and it didn't work out well, games not making significant returns, games being canned and dev issues with second party companies. The Wii and PC bailed them out, with the Sonic multiplatform games on the HD systems. If they are to do it they need to create a game that would suit whatever platform its going to be released on. They need to create a game that a xbox fan would actually like as they have done with creating games specifically for the Wii/U and PS3 and PC.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:31:23 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 08:20:38 am »
But technically that's what SOJ did focus on, the PS3 and xbox360 and it didn't work out well, games not making significant returns, games being canned and dev issues with second party companies. The Wii and PC bailed them out, with the Sonic multiplatform games on the HD systems. If they are to do it they need to create a game that would suit whatever platform its going to be released on. They need to create a game that a xbox fan would actually like as they have done with creating games specifically for the Wii/U and PS3 and PC.

SEGA Japan didn't back the 360 at the start and didn't move their lines to making 360 games or games that the west would like , it left that to the likes of SEGA West . That was a bad call and it cost SEGA Japan quite a lot.

Next Gen like with almost all 3rd parties this gen the greater number of SEGA Japan titles needs to be multi platform from the get -go, of course  not every title , but a good 90% of their output needs to be next gen and completely multi platform focused and with a eye to the west .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 09:50:14 am »
I agree with this post but i really like to know what they are thinking in Sega's digital depatment at the moment. They are willing to distribute turkeys like JACK LUMBER and crap like that ZAXXON game which didn't resemble ZAXXON but not publish that proposed ECCO title from the original creators. Mobile/digital is the ideal why to bring new versions of old Sega franchises without having to put big budgets to them and make them work in a HD 3D environment. 
Jack Lumber was part of SEGA Alliance, where they published indie iOS games. That failed so they aren't doing that again. Thing is, what the Jack Lumber and Zaxxon games cost to make combined probably isn't nearly as much as what it'd cost to make that Ecco-inspired game. And seeing how people weren't interested enough to back 10% of the Kickstarter, I highly doubt that it'd sell well enough for SEGA to make the investment.

Also, while it's not like Steam games don't sell well, they're still a lot below what console games sell. Mostly because it's much, much easier to pirate games on PC. While Steam does give people more reasons to actually buy the games, it doesn't stop people from pirating it. PC versions are of course often better than the console counterparts, from a financial standpoint it's probably best to first sell the games on consoles. (with the exception for games that are meant to be played on PC like Total War and Company of Heroes)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 10:25:12 am »
I don't think SEGA put any money into the development of Jack Lumber. The game was made, they just helped promote and publish it, and I think Owlchemy paid them for the services. I'm sure SEGA lost some money too, but I think Ownchemy faired worse.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 04:16:14 am »
that's the point, they still lost some money by publishing and distrubuting and marketing the game, I think that it would have been best spent on titles that could have benefited from that. 

SEGA Japan didn't back the 360 at the start and didn't move their lines to making 360 games or games that the west would like , it left that to the likes of SEGA West . That was a bad call and it cost SEGA Japan quite a lot.

Next Gen like with almost all 3rd parties this gen the greater number of SEGA Japan titles needs to be multi platform from the get -go, of course  not every title , but a good 90% of their output needs to be next gen and completely multi platform focused and with a eye to the west .

Afrter being burnt on the xbox I can't blame them for being reluctant, and they did back the 360 with second party support. Regardless apart from a couple of titles/franchises, Sega didn't fare that much better with the PS3 either. I dont think 90 percent should be multi platform, if they're going to succeed on the xbox platform they should try at least to select a game that works and gears towards that audience. Weve seen how SOJ MP startedgy works and it didn't. And Sega doesn't need to focus on the west more so they should focus on creating what they use to be good before a game that has international appeal. Your argument about western appeal is really how sega got into the messes that they recently experienced, be it there sole focus on the east/japanese market while everyone else focused on the west. It should really be if anything there big MP titles should focus on an international appeal where it would sell in both the east and west in strong numbers.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:22:11 am by ROJM »