Author Topic: No Man's Sky Players Would Need 5 Billion Years to Explore Every Planet for 1sec  (Read 4228 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
We know the universe of No Man's Sky is truly massive, thanks to its procedurally generated worlds. Even if developer Hello Games could share the exact number of worlds players can visit, it would be incomprehensibly big. What it can provide is a rough estimate of how long it would take to visit every planet in the game: five billion years.[/size]That figure was shared with IGN by Hello's Sean Murray. It's an extraordinarily long time, but what makes it more impressive is the fact that it's merely how long it would take to visit each planet for a single second. What we've seen of the game so far suggests you'll need far longer than one minute, let alone one second, to fully explore any given world, so suffice it to say, you're never going to run out of new places to visit.This is made possible because Hello opted to use 64-bit numbers to generate its worlds, rather than 32-bit numbers. When 32-bit numbers were being used at one point, it still would have meant taking several thousand years to visit each planet for one second. By moving to 64-bit numbers--which can store the astronomical sum of 2^64 total values, substantially more than the 2^32 total of 32-bit numbers--Hello was able to ensure it's even more difficult to fathom just how many planets No Man's Sky contains.[/color]

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876005

I like the idea of a world like this but I will have to see if it just feels like a auto generated world or if it will actually be fun to explore.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
Quality > quantity.

That being said, I am looking forward to this game because I do really like the concept.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
I'm really looking forward to this game but comments like this put me off, I really hope that the worlds aren't just minor differences like trees are purple here instead of brown. Similar comments came out for Until Dawn and you know they just mean the typical X and Y characters are present here but they might not say much.

Either way, still excited about the game, hope it's a blast and the gameplay doesn't get too repetitive.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Procedurally generated land is awesome. It's what makes Minecraft so awesome. Keeps things from getting boring. Of course the idea won't work for every game, but for a game like Minecraft it works great. I think it will work great for No Man's Sky since its all about exploring too.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Meh, they'll all start to feel the same after a while. Entirely Procedurally generated is never as diverse and interesting as man made, hand crafted designs with unique landscapes dreamed up by artists.

As someone said quality over quantity any day... Procedurally generated tends to feel a bit phoned in once you've seen a set amount of locations. I think there can be a good happy medium though!
Made by SEGA

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
:::I am listening to the review of this and viewing some footage while typing this:::

Yeah I was on an Neo-geo forum a long time ago. I still get their newsletters. I do not remember joining this forum ( the one with the war room/thunder dome ). However I am unable to login????
IDk.

No mans sky = StarFox: Dinosaur Planet.  That is it. But instead being for the N64 and being ported to the Gamecube it is for the current whatever systems. PS4???? Nothing new here; but more colorful things.

What we want is to encourage people to waste time?????? MMORPG???????

I heard the "creators" speech. How he wanted to do something like this a long time ago. Basically like me. We are probably in the same age range ( ha ha ha ha ).

I will admit I wanted to make a 3d game simular to these means. But less space-pc-etc and more RPG elements. Where do I start; where do I start.

Seriously Dinosaur planet....................

SEAN MURRAY: Our game has more then anything then anybody else game. SEAN MURRAY

Ten years later they will say mehhhhh. just like with every other PS3 game.

So the idea of NO MANS SKY is to FIND GOD. Lets get to the center of the Universe oh wonderful joy that must be. You progress through the game from a different starting point on the map..

Blah blah blah you can do this and do that. Upgrade upgrade upgrade. Discover 3d Pixels. Amazing 3d.

:::The game is not bad it needs players????? RIght now PSO2 and WOW is the current trend.:::

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:05:47 am by RegalSin »

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
I think in the end, what we'll mostly get is geographical, flora and fauna variants of a much smaller set of worlds. It'll be more then just the same planet with different colored trees or whatever, but I think what we'll essentially end up with is billions of variants of a much, much smaller number of worlds.

I think it'd be nice if we had a few handcrafted worlds thrown into the mix, but this is still pretty cool. Definitely a great way to offer an expansive universe for a single person to explore in what is inherently a multiplayer affair. I'm looking forward to it. I wonder if you will be able to send the locations of planets you've mapped to friends? Bet we could have a Planet SEGAbits out there....

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
Their is no way for this to be possible at all. ( just setting the stage ) 99% somebody is going to hack the game and show you how big it is really. Just as with glitchy Sonic 2006.

1. Generated room worlds ( as with PSO ).
2. The move speed is going to be slow. It will look like your moving fast but it will be slow.
3. They kinda speed up production. Kinda normal nowadays with the amount of resources we have
4. They made there own game maker tool. Which was shown on the 360 a couple of years back???