Author Topic: Keiji Inafune on utlizing Western developers  (Read 9345 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Keiji Inafune on utlizing Western developers
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 06:28:15 pm »
I pretty much agree what Aki,

Clover/Platinum games were treated like shit at Capcom. People like Kamiya were taken for granted and his creations were taken away from him more then once. Just look at DMC (And how terrible the reboot looks...)

In the months leading up to Inafune leaving he was doing nothing but shit talking the company and saying how sad he is with Japanese developers. Are you suprised that when he left noone tried to stop him? He was having some kind of break down.

I also think that while the Sammy take over may have been hard on Sega for a few years... In the long run Sammy is going to keep Sega in the money. I dread to see where Sega would be now with out Sammy... After the recession and all sorts.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 01:19:46 am »
Kamiya was treated terribly in his last few years at Capcom, Okami was meant to be a three game title, but the board insisted he make it into one game, what Kamiya wanted in the end was never achieved. Then the problems with Inafune started, Onimusha 3 had Jean Reno in it simply for more "Western" appeal, it bombed so hard that series was left to rest, Kamiya and co could have stayed at Capcom, but he would no longer get the freedom that he wanted.

Okami sold poor that is really what killed the any plans for a sequel, just like Jet Set Radio Future ECT . I don't get your point with Onimusha III it sold over a million copies (hardly Bombed) and even after Capcom went public and said it would be the last inthe series we got a sequel dawn of Dream, which again was a lavish production

Hardly left to rest

Finally, Inafune began this whole project of having games developed outside of Japan and at first it worked, but then the bubble burst and Bionic Commando, Dark Void and Lost Planet 2 all flopped terribly,

Lost Planet II was developed by Capcom Japan, the mistake was not getting Inafune-sand to produce the title, and the single player lacked focus as result, and it became a boss On-Line battle . That said it's not a bad game, features incredible tech and again sold over a million copies, way off Capcom 3 and half million planed sales, but hardly a flop.

The Capcom management no longer cared about him because he was no longer useful and was actually doing damage to the company

That's why they mad him head of Production ?. Its a classic Japanese  management way of acting. Moving people up in to rolls they really shouldn't be doing, SEGA have done this with Naka  ECT.

Pepople like Naka-san should have stayed on the tech side and programming side, and people like Inafune -san are better producer and working on games, rather that being management material
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 01:30:29 am »
Something is seriously wrong with Capcom when most of their heavy weights leave. Not saying I have prove of this, but who is still left at Capcom?

Also Ninja Theory is capable developers, but DMC reboot is looking stupid.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 01:39:00 am »
Quote from: "George"
Something is seriously wrong with Capcom when most of their heavy weights leave. Not saying I have prove of this, but who is still left at Capcom?

Also Ninja Theory is capable developers, but DMC reboot is looking stupid.

People say this about SEGA ( to a point  RARE) . There's still plenty of talent in those teams, and it's  really time the young guns were allowed to make their mark, given their own Team and production to work on.  I don't agree with handling out top IP to western productions teams though. Didn't like it for SEGA and don't like it for Capcom

The sad fact is all of Japan games development is a generation behind the West and its being reflected in games development and Tech . Grand Turismo 5 is a complete joke of a game , even with a massive spend and 5 years , just don't know what is happing to Japanese development at the mo
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 01:51:01 am »
Great, what good new IPs has Capcom launched? Dead Rising and Lost Planet? Both by Inafune?

While ex capcom people made Vanquish and Bayonetta, easily better than both those.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 02:09:48 am »
Great, what good new IPs has Capcom launched? Dead Rising and Lost Planet? Both by Inafune?

While ex capcom people made Vanquish and Bayonetta, easily better than both those.

I liked Lost Planet more than Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden II is just miles better than Bay. Letting Shinji Mikami leave was a mistake, but is he at Platinum games now ? Last I read he was working with EA and Grasshoper and setting up his own new Studio.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 03:20:01 am »
... Shinji Mikami isn't with Platinum Games. It was a one project deal. The EA thing is a one project deal and Mikami said he is not working with EA at all, just working with SUDA51. He is the one that set up EA as publisher.

Mikami's studio was already bought by Bethesda Softworks. The same publisher that bought ID Software and now owns the Fallout franchise.

(Just putting it out there, I hated Lost Planet)

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 04:32:26 am »
... Shinji Mikami isn't with Platinum Games. It was a one project deal. The EA thing is a one project deal and Mikami said he is not working with EA at all, just working with SUDA51. He is the one that set up EA as publisher.

So what after Vanquished ? for that team . Kind of same deal for the Lost Planet team, both have lost the leader
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 06:18:44 am »
Vanquish was always a one project deal and he just directed the project, while Atsushi Inaba produced. If anything will be 'extended' into a franchise, it will be Bayonetta.

Binary Domain is too much like Vanquish to see that one continue.  (at least for what we have seen. Its not fast combat, but users might confuse the two titles)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 06:43:27 am »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
Okami sold poor that is really what killed the any plans for a sequel, just like Jet Set Radio Future ECT . I don't get your point with Onimusha III it sold over a million copies (hardly Bombed) and even after Capcom went public and said it would be the last inthe series we got a sequel dawn of Dream, which again was a lavish production

Hardly left to rest

Okami was not going to have a sequel, Kamiya was made to put the content of three games in one, it was a trilogy in one game and also the reason it lasted so long.

Onimusha might have sold over a million but it failed to meet any expectations, Lost Planet 2 also sold over a million, but it massively failed to meet expectations.

Lost Planet II was developed by Capcom Japan, the mistake was not getting Inafune-sand to produce the title, and the single player lacked focus as result, and it became a boss On-Line battle . That said it's not a bad game, features incredible tech and again sold over a million copies, way off Capcom 3 and half million planed sales, but hardly a flop.

It did not meet it's target, thereby it is a flop.

SEGA Rally Revo sold over 800,000 units and Alpha Protocol over 700,000, it does not mean neither are a flop, when they miss their targets, they are a flop. Especially one that misses it by OVER a million.

That's why they mad him head of Production ?. Its a classic Japanese  management way of acting. Moving people up in to rolls they really shouldn't be doing, SEGA have done this with Naka  ECT.

Yes because they actually originally had much admiration for the man. His plan worked, Lost Planet and Dead Rising were success, Capcom was riding high on belief.

Then the harsh reality hit them, games started flopping and he turned on the upper management at Capcom. Just because he started off well does not mean it was going to end well for him, publicly criticizing the higher ups was why no one cared for him in the end.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 06:51:41 am »
Vanquish was always a one project deal and he just directed the project, while Atsushi Inaba produced. If anything will be 'extended' into a franchise, it will be Bayonetta.

Binary Domain is too much like Vanquish to see that one continue.  (at least for what we have seen. Its not fast combat, but users might confuse the two titles)

One game deal could be said about almost any game , it all depends on how well the 1st games sells. Lost Planet wasn't produced by one man, but by the likes of Jun Takeut, with Kenji Oguro backing up the game play , people who are still at Capcom, along with the likes of  Yoshinori Ono, Hiroyuki Kobayashi.

Like SEGA there's still plenty of Talent , though I don't agree with handling out top IP to western developers
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 07:14:09 am »
Onimusha might have sold over a million but it failed to meet any expectations, Lost Planet 2 also sold over a million, but it massively failed to meet expectations.

Any game that sells over a million on 1 platform can be consider a successful, hence why we got a rather lavish sequel to Onimusha III and SONY even give Capcom a nice Gold award for its million sales in Japan alone, where it top the charts selling almost 500,000 in its 1st week; A flop ?  Onimusha 3  most certainly wasn't  

Kamiya was made to put the content of three games in one, it was a trilogy in one game and also the reason it lasted so long
If any game sells in Big numbers it will get a sequel you can be sure of it. The game sold poor on both the PS2 and the Wii. That is what killed the CLOVER dream the poor sales or Viewtiful Joe, and Okami , it killed the Smilebit dream too sadly.

It did not meet it's target, thereby it is a flop.

So any game that sells a million and half copies is now a Flop ?.That mean most games this generation are flops, including every Platinum game made so far

SEGA Rally Revo sold over 800,000 units and Alpha Protocol over 700,000, it does not mean neither are a flop

I thought SEGA Rally Revo sold over 600,000 copies after 3  years of being on sale . If it sold a million In its 1st year, I put to you the Studio would still be open and we would now be playing thier 2nd game  . I have no idea on the sales of AP, only that it had a almighty production spend and was years and years in development, and if you listen to some did not pay back its development budget.

Then the harsh reality hit them, games started flopping and he turned on the upper management at Capcom.

Or more like Inafune-san should never have been made Global head of R&D and development and was put to work on producing games, something he was far better at imo.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 01:07:04 pm »
Quote from: "Aki-at"
Quote from: "cube_b3"
That's a ball breaking accurate statement if there ever was one.

Although one thing I don't understand how did Capcom get there? I mean in Sega's case a foreign company (Sammy) took them over when Sega/CSK CEO Isao Okawa passed away.

I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion on SEGA, in light of them still supporting money losing games (IE a followup to Valkyria Chronicles) or opting to invest in many more new IPs than any other Japanese publishers.

I was referring to the resignations associated with the mergers, as I am sure we've discussed in the past Mizuguchi wasn't the only one who tendered his resignation.

Kamiya was treated terribly in his last few years at Capcom, Okami was meant to be a three game title, but the board insisted he make it into one game, what Kamiya wanted in the end was never achieved. Then the problems with Inafune started, Onimusha 3 had Jean Reno in it simply for more "Western" appeal, it bombed so hard that series was left to rest, Kamiya and co could have stayed at Capcom, but he would no longer get the freedom that he wanted.

While I am in the dark about Onimusha and Infuane, I think making sure before hand that Okami is a single title affair was a sound decision as the game failed.

Frankly I do not see how you believe the group should have stuck at Capcom after they were effectively chucked out for being failures. Capcom were not about to work with them again, might as well start working at the developer who made you want to make games for some of those in that group.

Same way Suzuki et al have stuck around. Shenmue 2 didn't meet sales target and 3 wasn't greenlit Suzuki didn't leave AM2. He worked on Evolution, OutRun 2, Virtua Cop 3 and made sure the team was ready to continue without him and moved to his MMO studio. He poorly managed the studio and affiliates, dropped the ball figuratively. Same for all others Kodama failed with Altered Beast, Oba failed with Nightshade.

Yet they are all around, and I understand why they are around. They've spent there lives with the company decades upon decades, and I respect there commitment.

Capcom has suffered greatly after the talent left, and how is it the managements fault if there games weren't making enough return to warrant further investment?

Finally, Inafune began this whole project of having games developed outside of Japan

Really? Capcom has always developed games outside Japan Remember Capcom Production Studio# 8. I wasn't aware Infuane started the movement cause after Onimusha he moved on to Dead Rising.

And recent new franchises like Bionic Commando were helmed by Capcom's Ben Judd serving as executive producer, not infuane.

and at first it worked, but then the bubble burst and Bionic Commando, Dark Void and Lost Planet 2 all flopped terribly, it didn't help either that Inafune spoke out against the Capcom management in an interview sometime before his resignation, after they practically gave into his demand and outsourced all their development staff because it was mostly all his idea. Of course the board are not going to care anymore for him after that outburst.

He became more involved after recent failures most notably Bionic Commando, I remember reading an interview where he discussed (I am paraphrasing here) "from now only sequels will be developed with foreign studios and new ips in Japan, Orignal Capcom staff will also be involved to make them feel like true Capcom games" - I read this at Kotaku after Bionic Commando's failure. Earlier this year Kotaku interviewed him again and asked if the western dev will stop, and he said it is a company policy that won't change if he or anyone else says.

But the fact is, Inafune made many outlandish remarks. The reason Lost Planet 2 failed was it did not have any snow, that if a game does not have a male American lead, it will fail and the most comical of all, he believes himself to be a last samurai styled figure.

The Capcom management no longer cared about him because he was no longer useful and was actually doing damage to the company. Out with the trash as they say.

He started bad mouthed after his request for small scale affliated studio had been denied, I wasn't aware he spear headed the western dev focus. Capcom had Production Studio 8 way back and recent western games didn't have Infuane credited until recently.

Anyway thank you for your feedback, it was very insightful.
Edit: please excuse and typo's or grammar mistakes, I didn't have time to proof read this :).

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 07:43:46 am »
I noticed that no one replied here, and then I read Team Andromeda's post preceding mine.

Looks like Aki got powned (respectfully :D)