Author Topic: Gameinformer interviews the guys behind sonic fan remix.  (Read 5003 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Gameinformer interviews the guys behind sonic fan remix.
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:30:32 am »
Here the scan

http://www.sonicretro.org/wp-content/up ... SFR_GI.png

Great and well deserved attention if you ask me. I agree wholeheartly with their views aside from my favourite being S3k instead of S2 and SCD. They were all good games anyway :P.

I think these are the kind of people that should work on the continuation of the classic series instead of DIMPS or whatever. They know what they're talking about. They're Big SEGA fans as you see that they also would like remakes of streets of rage and phantasy star. Which is something unlikely to happen soon with the SEGA we got today. I don't mean that in a bad way since SEGA still produce good games. It's just that SEGA (or the new staff) don't know how to replicate their old gameplay that well. You always get these collections while other developers like Konami or nintendo do a good job in making new installments of their franchises.

Who knows all this publicity might get them hired.

So what are your views on the way these 2 fans are unintentionally kind of stealing the spotlight from SEGA. Do you think they deserve to get hired or would you rather have them get a C&D or a warning in some kind of way?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Gameinformer interviews the guys behind sonic fan remix.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:55:12 am »
I really could care less about Sonic Fan Remix. It was decent, but the visuals were far from what I want a Sonic game to look like, and I think it has received more attention than it deserved simply because those who were butthurt over Sonic 4 wanted to praise something to teach SEGA a lesson.

I'd rather they spend their time on something original with their own studio and try to get it up on PSN, the App Store or XBLA. I seriously doubt SEGA would hire them to work on a Sonic game, unless SEGA West wanted to step on the toes of SEGA of Japan and force Sonic Team to hire two (I'm assuming) American fans to work on the series.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:27:26 am »
XBLA doesn't have indie games, and XBLI is bull shit.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:27:06 am »
To clarify my comments above, I don't hate the dudes for making it. In fact I hope more fans go out and make their own takes on their favorite franchises. JSR especially needs some fangame love. However, I'd much rather see original indie games get an interview in GI rather than something as short and unoriginal as SFR. (that is to say "unoriginal" in the sense that the gameplay, characters and environments are works of SEGA and were mildly tweaked and emulated by fans).

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:43:30 am »
yeah, i have this, didn't scan it. Oh well, i suck.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 01:57:22 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
I really could care less about Sonic Fan Remix. It was decent, but the visuals were far from what I want a Sonic game to look like, and I think it has received more attention than it deserved simply because those who were butthurt over Sonic 4 wanted to praise something to teach SEGA a lesson.

I'd rather they spend their time on something original with their own studio and try to get it up on PSN, the App Store or XBLA. I seriously doubt SEGA would hire them to work on a Sonic game, unless SEGA West wanted to step on the toes of SEGA of Japan and force Sonic Team to hire two (I'm assuming) American fans to work on the series.
I guess your right, but that's kind of their choice. If they wanna make a remix of sonic 1/2/3. Make it a whole unique experience. I'm all open for it. I'd be open for it if SEGA made it allthough i'm not sure if that would turn out nicely.

Anyway here some new pics of a work in progress chemical plant remix.

Kind of the opposite of the first stage, at the moment. Still a bit empty, dull and colorless(instead of busy and cluttered). But I like his aproach from the little bit I see. His art direction is nice. The gears in the background give it a new feel.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 02:24:02 pm »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
I think these are the kind of people that should work on the continuation of the classic series instead of DIMPS or whatever. They know what they're talking about. They're Big SEGA fans as you see that they also would like remakes of streets of rage and phantasy star. Which is something unlikely to happen soon with the SEGA we got today. I don't mean that in a bad way since SEGA still produce good games. It's just that SEGA (or the new staff) don't know how to replicate their old gameplay that well. You always get these collections while other developers like Konami or nintendo do a good job in making new installments of their franchises.

Without trying to sound rude, do you only play games made by Sonic Team and have you retroactively erased AM2 from existence?

Also Castlevania, Pro Evo Soccer and many other Konami series would like a word with you. I am sure Metroid would like to discuss it's latest entry into the franchise too.

I could point out good installments in newer series, but there is no point making a list topic.

On topic I echo Barry's comment, I also think they'll eventually quit halfway through like almost all fanmade Sonic games. Personally I see no need to remake the original games when all I can do is go back and play the original games.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 03:46:34 pm »
Quote from: "Aki-at"

Without trying to sound rude, do you only play games made by Sonic Team and have you retroactively erased AM2 from existence?

Also Castlevania, Pro Evo Soccer and many other Konami series would like a word with you. I am sure Metroid would like to discuss it's latest entry into the franchise too.
Nah I play more than that though my knowledge about sonic is far more broad than any other sega franchise.

I was mainly talking about the mega drive/genesis IP's. You know the IP's from SEGA's golden era.

Sonic, streets of rage, golden axe, shinobi(ps2 games were okay). But on second thought, you're kinda right. I mean it's kind of 50/50. There are some they do right and some they fuck up horendously. It's hard for me to not be cautious with anything SEGA does nowadays. Maybe time will remove that feeling.

On topic I echo Barry's comment, I also think they'll eventually quit halfway through like almost all fanmade Sonic games. Personally I see no need to remake the original games when all I can do is go back and play the original games.
I understand where you guys are basing this from. But i am more taking it as it comes. It excites me in a way so wether he will finish it, wether we think it's pointless. It's their choice.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:53:32 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 03:51:21 pm »
Perhaps SEGA would do better by bringing back 2D versions of IPs that don't have such hallowed physics. For example, stuff like Alex Kidd or Streets of Rage would probably not be under such scrutiny that Sonic 4 was. Or better yet, fans should remix games that haven't had over 100 official games. Stuff like Ristar or the aforementioned Alex Kidd and Streets of Rage would make for great fangames.

I still think SEGA needs to bring back Alex Kidd. Next year is his 25th anniversary. Another game released on the same platforms as Sonic 4 would be very cool.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 04:08:19 pm »
Alex kid on the master system was the first game I've ever played as a kid. It was built in. Alex kid really was 1000x better than any mario game that existed back than for a fact. It just didn't get the publicity. Kinda weird how that went wrong on the genesis. Did it feel different or is was it just me?  

25th aniversary next year. I didn't know that. It'd be very special if they planned to do something with him next year.

Lol this is going way off topic. I got carried away. Anyway, I think the throwback discussion kinda belongs here maybe :P .

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 12:59:56 pm »
Alex Kidd in Miracle World was great... just amazing.  I think if it was the original pack-in game with the Master System, running side by side at display kiosks against the NES/Super Mario Bros., it would have made a difference in the Master System's success in the U.S.  But the Alex Kidd sequels were all over the place.  The only one I enjoyed was The Lost Stars, because it had insane art direction and superb graphics that really pushed the limits of what was possible on the SMS... but it was far too easy.  I'd love to see an Alex Kidd reboot of some sort, but I don't care for the ultra cutesy design that Sumo came up with recently.  

Back on topic, I don't think these guys should get hired to work on Sonic, or get a cease & desist.  I think they should wrap up this project and start an original IP, and Sega should take a good look at what they come up with.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 07:39:41 pm »
I decided to make a different thread for this whole master system discussion. The master system is very special to me in a way.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=772