Author Topic: Ryu Ga Gotoku of the END ( Demo Impressions )  (Read 20263 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Re: Ryu Ga Gotoku of the END ( Demo Impressions )
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 08:42:28 pm »
At first I kind of did not like it (why would the demo start off in an enclosed area anyways??), but once I got more used to it I started to like it a lot more.

The controls are really extremely strange and took awhile to get used to, but I do not think they would hinder me too much if I got to play the full thing.

I can see a lot of potential with the battle system though, even little things like kicking bikes into a group of zombies could really keep the player imagining new ways to go into a battle.

The music really blew me away though. The series has always had very fitting music, but OF THE END really impressed me here. I might even consider purchasing a soundtrack if the rest of it is this good, and I never buy those.

I feel like the biggest nerd for noticing the Sonic Drift 2 theme in the first cutscene, but man it made me smile, then cry on the inside knowing I can instantly notice stuff like that.

[youtube:w544l0a0]PjptKXxHFaw[/youtube:w544l0a0]

Would definitely pick this up if it gets an American release.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 11:06:28 pm »
I'm downloading it, but it's taking forever.
Looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow :(.

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 01:40:05 am »
I posted my impressions on the front page. I hope it didn't come off too dry. I'm not as good with editorials as I am with just news.

Problem, it posted the entire post without a (more) link. How do I do that in wordpress? I'm still an amatuer.

EDIT: NM Fixed it myself. :afroman:
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 06:50:19 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
I feel like the biggest nerd for noticing the Sonic Drift 2 theme in the first cutscene, but man it made me smile, then cry on the inside knowing I can instantly notice stuff like that.

You have a gift my friend let no one tell you otherwise.

With great powers comes great responsibility.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 07:51:54 am »
Yeah, this isnt very good...

You can't aim and move? What is this 1999 Resident Evil... Maybe I'm missing something but as far as i can shooting is either button mashing with no aiming at all or aiming with out being able to move.

I'll buy it but it feels dated and quite crappy tbh.
Made by SEGA

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 09:40:55 am »
sharky read my comment in front page

also there is an unlockable ability that helps you to aim fast to the head even if the zombie was close to you , by pressing R1 first to lock on and while you are in lock on mode press R2 it will automatically aim to the head of the nearest zombie but you need to unlock this ability first.

BTW new videos posted by sega
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-fEUVY ... r_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVYpw19 ... r_embedded

Offline SOUP

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 10:01:44 am »
I hope there's a way to switch the inverted camera controls. I found aiming to be really difficult, and couldn't find the option to change it in the menu (can't read Japanese).
Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The stopping to aim with a reticule didn't really bother me, since I'm pretty used to the Resident Evil 4/5 style of shoot a few things, and GTFO.

The whole zombie apocalypse thing instilled me with a lot more dread than any other game I've ever played. When I saw a zombie show up in the Yakuza world (that I've got so many memories from), it really creeped me out. My first thought was that the kids at the orphanage were in legitimate danger. Definitely gave me the creeps.

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 10:32:43 am »
^^
press start, go to the last choice, change the first 4 options
then you will be able to play with an Americanized control, with L1 to aim and R1 to shoot and it fix the analog and camera movement as well
but be informed that R1 will be the action command so like if you are holding a bicycle and you want to attache using it you will also need to use the R1

Offline Sharky

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 11:35:00 am »
The point is that I cannot aim with precission and move around...
You HAVE to stand still to get any sense of aiming the gun yourself. There isnt even a redicle on screen when fireing from the hip.

I don't want to auto target, the fun in shooting games is the aiming... Getting the aim down pat, head shots and such. Not just hammering the shoot button facing the enemy general direction until it automatically kills everyone.

I'd be totally fine if you even had to 'walk' whilst you aiming but stopping to take aim is such a dated mechanic it has put me right off the game.

The engine is dated and ugly too... The character movments are stiff, the visuals look dated. It needs an all new engine.
Made by SEGA

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 11:46:55 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
The engine is dated and ugly too... The character movments are stiff, the visuals look dated. It needs an all new engine.

in this point i am with you, i am not going to say "ugly" but it's absolutely dated

about the shooting mechanic, in this game it's clearly they are not aiming to provide a professional shooting mechanic rather than fast aracady and easy to play and fun for everyone, this was always the point in any game in the whole series actually.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 11:51:35 am »
It's far harder to stand still and aim then it is to be able to move around and do so... But not in a good way, in a 'this is dated and boring' kind of way.

I just didnt have fun with it, the camera needs some serious work too...
Made by SEGA

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 01:50:03 pm »
Quote from: "Suzuki Yu"
^^
press start, go to the last choice, change the first 4 options
then you will be able to play with an Americanized control, with L1 to aim and R1 to shoot and it fix the analog and camera movement as well
but be informed that R1 will be the action command so like if you are holding a bicycle and you want to attache using it you will also need to use the R1

I changed to option B and changed the camera controls. But what do the options below that do? I wish NeoGAF had made a thread for this. I feel I could have covered it better if I knew fully what I was doing.

Dammit. I should have known I was gonna call it "Yakuza of the dead" by accident sometime. And this was after I proofread it and made changes. XP

I agree with Sharky. The camera felt very 90's. It would get stuck in narrow areas and be hard to control. I did mention that in the preview. I expect that when playing Burning Rangers (I'll be doing an upcoming review on that BTW) but not a game of 2011.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 03:06:39 pm »
Considering that Sharky is a big fan of Yakuza, if he doesn't like it at all it's giving me pause about this game...

Although I hated the 'Stop, shoot' controls of RE5 at first, I ended up really enjoying that game once I got into the full thing, hopefully it's the same with Yakuza. It does seem like a really strange mechanic in this day and age of Dual-Analogue sticks.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 04:57:39 pm »
@Suzuki Yu:
Thanks for the tips.
I had the control style "B" turned on, but I'd rather keep square as the action button.
I'm sure it'll be a fun game when I can play through the whole thing.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 05:32:44 pm »
Ok I gave it another go.

Changing the controls to the B setting and putting all of the following options to the 'other' option made the game a lot more playable and more fun.

The game still feels annoying to control... stopping to aim is hidious. Not to mention when you go into 'aim' mode suddenly it switches to the left analog stick for some unknown stupid reason so if your running and you switch to aim suddenly your redicle flys upwards.

For some STUPID unknown reason clicking in the right analog stick doesn't recentre the camera behind you... Which has been a staple in 3rd person shooters this entire generation and it would help a lot because the cam is rather annoying at the best of times...
Made by SEGA