Author Topic: Thinking of Selling my 360?  (Read 16445 times)

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Re: Thinking of Selling my 360?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 04:38:29 pm »
Then explain why it only had only 5 stages in a game that has almost 50 characters.

I think that game holds the record for lowest stage count, and I don't know what fan wanted those dated sprites for Morrigan or about all the SNK sprites which look inferior in comparison.

CVS2 is the game I've played most in my life, but given I played this game for almost half my life I would've enjoyed if Capcom spent more time in other aspects besides gameplay.

Sonic Adventure was the fastest moving 3D game I had ever played, it was amazing and I will keep the adventure games above any games preceding them. It is my opinion, you can make your own top 10 Sonic list :).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 04:33:52 pm »
Quote from: "cube_b3"
Sonic Adventure was the fastest moving 3D game I had ever played, it was amazing and I will keep the adventure games above any games preceding them. It is my opinion, you can make your own top 10 Sonic list :).

I am not talking opinions here or what game is "Fastest", I am just stating the facts. The original Sonic trilogy is a technological masterpiece of it's time and pushed the industry in so many new directions at the same time, as well as making SEGA not only a household name, but an iconic one, and not just for arcades.

Sonic Adventure games did not do that, and no future ones will be able to achieve anything like this again. Every five years or so a new IP does this. Halo is a good example for comparison.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 05:48:09 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Sonic Adventure games did not do that, and no future ones will be able to achieve anything like this again. Every five years or so a new IP does this. Halo is a good example for comparison.
When the first one came out, the best 3D platformers were the slowpaced Spyro, Mario 64 and Crash.

Sonic Adventure was a huge step forward in a genre that ultimately wasn't to be one of the prominent ones in gaming (as opposed to FPS, with the Halo breakthrough and free-roaming crime simulators like GTA).

It's pretty easy to look back now and say "oh it didn't achieve anything groundbreaking". But when they were released they had a big a shot as any game that did breakthrough.

So while time hasn't made them as industry-shifting as the original trilogy, I see no reason why they can hold a "masterpiece" title on their own.

It's like saying Final Fantasy VI isn't a masterpiece cause it didn't do anything groundbreaking, and Final Fantasy I is because it did. While we know that Final Fantasy I is hardly even comparable to the genius behind VI.
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 08:11:41 pm »
Crackdude, you of all people know my extreme praise of Sonic Adventure. Of course I know what it achieved, but it was still not on the level of what the original trilogy did.

On graphics, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were incredibly ahead of their time, but with all things like that, they aged. However, it still took like four years with the release of Jak and Daxter to have a game that was above the level of Sonic Adventure in pretty much all regards, graphically at least. But for comparison, Sonic 1 still to this day remains one of the best looking 16 bit games. There were 2D games coming out TEN YEARS after Sonic 1 that did not look as good as it, and it can be argued that no Game Boy Advance game looked as good as this did. I would say that is Shenmue-level impressive.

When talking on engines, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 used two different engines, but Sonic 1, 2 and 3 were all based on one another with minor tweaks. Elements of it were still used all the way up until NiGHTS and Burning Rangers, and when control is concerned, Sonic 1, 2 and 3 might be the most "Solid controlling" 2D games in existence, when we all know about people complaining about falling through the levels and such in the early 3D games.

I could literally go on for hours, but I am honestly not sure why any of it matters, I was just pointing out what the series has achieved, not how good each release is. I actually prefer Sonic Adventure to Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but I do not think it is a better product overall in any way.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 04:43:40 pm »
I agree with Sega Uranus.  Sonic 1 was mind-boggling when it came out.  

They praised the speed, but to me I had no idea the Genesis was capable of that level of detail and color.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 07:52:27 pm »
Oh, I must have misinterpreted your comment quite a bit!

Yes, of course I have to agree with you.

Though on this point:
"I actually prefer Sonic Adventure to Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but I do not think it is a better product overall in any way."
I don't quite see things that way. They are quite different products and can't be directly compared imo.
I think they are both great products.
SEG4GES

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 04:35:42 am »
Yes, and in consequence I enjoy SA2 more than the old ones :).

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 12:40:32 pm »
Yes, and in consequence I enjoy SA2 more than the old ones :).
So do I :)
SEG4GES

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 05:14:48 am »
Everyone now knows that the super secret unlockable of SA2 was the classic Green Hill Zone, my fondest memory was after I unlocked it the stage started off as 2D (you know the kind that unleashed and Colors)...

I was so f'ing pissed off, I collected a 180 emeralds to play the classic stage, the classic way ARRGGHHH!!!

But then as soon as I started moving forward the camera slowly went behind Sonic showcasing the wonder that is 3D and it was there and then that I knew Sonic had reached the next level.

2D days were gone and that was a good thing, fast forward a decade and Sonic has regressed to a game that is inferior to the Crash Bandicoot games on PS1.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 06:02:44 am »
Sonic Colours is pretty ordinary, but it has nothing to do with 2D gameplay. If you seriously think that 2D games are inherintly inferior to 3D, then... well actually I already though you were totally mad so, business as usual I guess.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 03:54:36 pm »
Hey, I was just trying to make your head S-polde.

But in all seriousness it was amazing seeing the camera shift from Side Scrolling to behind the back. I just love that camera angel it gives a deeper sense of speed.

On an unrealted note I don't understand why people call the side camera angel a 2D or 2.5D angel. Sure the gameplay is restricted to X and Y axis but it is 3D.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2011, 03:58:02 pm »
Is there anything wrong in thinking 3D is better than 2D?w
It sure as hell helped for shooters, sports games and racing games. Made for some great platformers too..
SEG4GES

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2011, 04:00:09 pm »
^ updated my post.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 04:11:03 pm »
Hey, I was just trying to make your head S-polde.

But in all seriousness it was amazing seeing the camera shift from Side Scrolling to behind the back. I just love that camera angel it gives a deeper sense of speed.

On an unrealted note I don't understand why people call the side camera angel a 2D or 2.5D angel. Sure the gameplay is restricted to X and Y axis but it is 3D.

I can understand that iwas really impressive, but I just don't think that 3D always translates to a better game than 2D. For example, I think that Splosion Man is the best platformer this generation, and it's fully 2D in gameplay. The controls, level design, art direction, music, and difficulty curve are all just sublime.

As for 2.5D, it's not really a name that makes sense at all, it's just a slang term/nickname to quickly describe a game with 3D graphics playing out with a 2D playing style.

Quote from: "crackdude"
Is there anything wrong in thinking 3D is better than 2D?w
It sure as hell helped for shooters, sports games and racing games. Made for some great platformers too..

Nothing wrong with liking 3D, but to say that 3D games are inherintly better than 2D is just ignorant I think. It's like saying that all colour movies are better than black and white movies. Would you ever say that 'The Fast and The Furious' is better than Casablanca because it has colour?

Offline Grant360

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 06:54:27 am »
I love the Fast & the Furious!

2D has actually stood the test of time really well. Go back and play Mario or Sonic and they are still amazing! Then put your Saturn on and play a 3D game and it hurts your eyes. That's the issue with 3D. Very few games hold up because better 3D of the same game means a better game. Half Life, Shenmue are good examples. But look at Goldeneye. An incredible game, whilst still good fun. If I was introducing a young kid to retro games I wouldn't go there...