Author Topic: Beyond good and evil HD. Should sega take notes?  (Read 7580 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Beyond good and evil HD. Should sega take notes?
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:40:31 am »
So beyond good and evil 2 has been teased for years now, but it has been quiet for some time. The reason (or so i've read) was because the first game didn't really sell that well. There wasn't a lot of interest in the franchise even though the game was critically acclaimed and seen as a MASTERPIECE. Seriously the game is really that good.

It flopped nonetheless, which happens, you cannot expect every new IP to sell well. Sometimes luck just isn't there.

Ubisoft have done a smart move in releasing an allnew HD version of the first game to boost interest. There is positive talk everywhere and for the price of 800$ (take that s4e1) it's a steal. The game looks georgeous and demonstrates how a port can be done RIGHT!!

A very smart move in my opinion. SEGA should really take notes from this and maybe consider doing this with shenmue 1 and 2 before making shenmue 3. Why does SEGA keep making these cheap ports of DC games :( ?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Beyond good and evil HD. Should sega take notes?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:27:56 am »
Agreed. Also, Rare's rereleases of Banjo-Kazooie were excellent. Unlocking things in the first two games allowed you to get new items in the recent Nuts & Bolts game, very cool way of linking the old and new games.

Imagine if a cleared save file of Sonic Adventure meant that you could unlock an HD Emerald Coast in Sonic Anniversary?

Space Channel 5 Part 2 was a step up from the previous Dreamcast Collection titles, so I'm hoping things only get better. Widescreen SA2 now please.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:55:35 pm »
SEGA is bad with porting their games in general lately, when they used to do so good.

Gunblade NY/LA Machinguns Pack is one of the best ports I have ever seen, not only do they run perfectly and now run in widescreen, but they actually take advantage of Wii-specific features like the speaker on the Wiimote.

But on almost all other fronts, SEGA is just doing awful and making their products look bad in the process. They literally have the worst ports of games on Steam, Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, it is absolutely shameful. For the older games, they skip over CD based releases, like with Ecco the Dolphin and Virtua Fighter 2 - In that case some people think the Virtua Fighter series used to be 2D and always sucked.

Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Also, Rare's rereleases of Banjo-Kazooie were excellent. Unlocking things in the first two games allowed you to get new items in the recent Nuts & Bolts game, very cool way of linking the old and new games.

This was planned for years, they just never figured a way to link two Nintendo 64 cartridges with one another. A lot of fans were actually extremely upset with what it all turned out to be.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 04:26:51 pm »
I think SEGA went about it all wrong.

1. Dreamcast Collection with more than one franchise = no. Everyone will whine.

They should have been genre related titles. Bass Fishing and Sonic Adventure? Sonic fans will just bitch.

2. Not enhanced one bit.

Bitch bitch.

3. Little to no extras.

Bitch bitch.

This is the issue, Sony had no issue selling 2 titles for 40 bucks on PS3. (GOD OF WAR COLLECTION), SEGA should have done Sonic Adventure and 2, with some cool extras and widescreen support.... = 30 bucks and almost no one would bitch.

Its funny. 2 games like that would get better reception than... 4 .

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:33:55 pm »
I think SEGA could have easily done those together on Wii for $40 and it would have been a massive hit.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 04:44:44 am »
Quote from: "George"
I think SEGA went about it all wrong.

1. Dreamcast Collection with more than one franchise = no. Everyone will whine.

They should have been genre related titles. Bass Fishing and Sonic Adventure? Sonic fans will just bitch.

2. Not enhanced one bit.

Bitch bitch.

3. Little to no extras.

Bitch bitch.

This is the issue, Sony had no issue selling 2 titles for 40 bucks on PS3. (GOD OF WAR COLLECTION), SEGA should have done Sonic Adventure and 2, with some cool extras and widescreen support.... = 30 bucks and almost no one would bitch.

Its funny. 2 games like that would get better reception than... 4 .

God forbid we should bitch about a shitty collection of shitty ports.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 08:39:11 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
I think SEGA could have easily done those together on Wii for $40 and it would have been a massive hit.

Though with Wii being able to play SADX and SA2:Battle via Gamecube support, it's sorta pointless. Then, fans would be like "oh, I can get both titles at Gamestop for less than $10!" I'd prefer a PS3/360 release on disc. True HD, widescreen and perhaps an art gallery like the one found in Unleashed.

Thats one thing I really loved about Unleashed, the art and video gallery.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 02:37:40 pm »
Most Sonic fans nowadays are not the savviest money savers. You bought Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 for $15, for instance.

On the topic of Unleashed, yes, they really went all out with designing the setting. Honestly I think the world they made in that game is their best realized one ever, which is why I was so keen on finding out if the world in the back of Sonic the Hedgehog 4's ending was the same found in that.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 02:57:11 pm »
Sanus, I'm tired of the snarky little comments. You've reached your limit for the day.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 04:36:26 pm »
I am just saying you spent $15 dollars on a game many here did not think was worth $5. Do not take it so personal, I could care less what you buy. I am not judging you.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 05:37:52 pm »
Excellent observation! Yes, I did spend the asking price for the game. Would I have preferred it to be less? Of course, in my perfect world, I would get every game for free. However that's not the case.

I do write for, what, like nineteen (or is it twenty five?) SEGA blogs. I would be pretty out of it if I didn't buy and play a major title, whether I anticipated it or not. Either I bought the title and had an opinion, and in turn had something to write about or I ignore the release, and write articles (and reviews) based on secondhand information and a one act long demo.

Just saying it's a really stupid comment to make, considering you write for a blog as well. Next time you buy and review a game that I deem to be "not worth it", I'll be happy to give you shit for waisting money on a title that I think was worth $5.

Back on topic, no more of this talk. I'm done with it.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 05:54:15 pm »
Being "Pretty out of it" is an excuse, you wanted to own the game, and that is fine, like I said I am not judging you for that. You went way out of your way numerous times on trying to say why you thought it was worth the money, which got kind of weird at times, but that was only because you enjoyed it. I am happy, if anything that some people were able to have fun with it.

My point was that most people here did not think it was worth it, and I did not even deem your purchase of it twice as a waste of money, just saying that you did not really plan ahead with it and would have bought it regardless of what price tag it had, unless it was $70 or something weird like that.

In any event, I meant no harm in the post, or the Sonic Eraser one either, and I apologize that they came off as such.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 07:00:18 pm »
I wonder if SEGA is planning to re-release Sonic Adventure 2 this year?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 07:53:33 pm »
They'd be dopes not to. It'd sell bucket loads, kids would geek out over Shadow avatar awards. SA2, Sonic CD and Chaotix would all be great digital releases. I have a sick fascination with the idea of every main Sonic title being available on XBLA and PSN (and being playable on disc and backwards compatibility).

Question is, how good (or poor) a job will they do?

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 04:41:33 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
They'd be dopes not to. It'd sell bucket loads, kids would geek out over Shadow avatar awards. SA2, Sonic CD and Chaotix would all be great digital releases. I have a sick fascination with the idea of every main Sonic title being available on XBLA and PSN (and being playable on disc and backwards compatibility).

Question is, how good (or poor) a job will they do?

It would make sense, considering that SA2 turns 10 years old this year, and it is the series' 20th anniversary.