Author Topic: So... Has anyone noticed... (Sega/Sonic related)  (Read 34136 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: So... Has anyone noticed... (Sega/Sonic related)
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 08:06:50 pm »
Am I the only one who thought Sonic Colours was average at best? I stopped playing after I got to the second world. It was probably the best Sonic game in a while, but that's really not saying much at all.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2011, 08:13:26 pm »
Though you aren't too into Sonic to begin with, right MadeManG74? So I'd guess that makes sense to think that. I've only played the first act at a gamestop, so I can't say much about it, but from what I saw it was enjoyable. Though I was really wishing that the stages were based in more classic Sonic environments (checkered hills, volcanos, snowy mountain, etc). The visuals had more of a Sonic CD vibe.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2011, 08:22:25 pm »
I love the Genesis Sonic games (naturally) and own them on about every console I have (Originals, Sonic Jam, Sonic Mega Collection, Genesis Collection, XBLA) and I even loved the hell out of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 when they came out. Since then though I haven't found anything that was really worth enjoying (Although I did think Sonic and the Secret Rings was pretty cool in concept and worked so much better than the horrible Sonic 06). So while I ignore most of the news/games now, it's mostly becuase there hasn't been anything much good to come from Sonic in recent years. You know how I feel about Sonic 4 as well, so I won't get into that...

Thing is, it's nothing to do with how much I like Sonic, but it just wasn't all that fun I thought. It didn't feel a whole lot like classic Sonic, and it wasn't much chop as a platformer on it's own merits either I thought.

The jokes and dialogue were the best I've seen in many a year for a Sonic game though ("You know, when you consider we're robots, what we are doing here is actually quite gruesome if you think about it...")

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2011, 08:52:05 pm »
Sonic Colors is a pretty boring game and those wisps actually bring the game down cause in previous Sonic games, Sonic had abilities that you could use whenever you want.

With this game you already have a restricted track to run on, but you can't use Sonic trademark moves like spin dash, or light speed dash without acquiring the wisp for it.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2011, 06:07:52 am »
Spin dash has been MIA since 2006, though I believe it showed up in the Wii version of Unleashed, but only when you hit a certain boost pad. So I was happy to see a form of it appear again via a power up. Light speed dash was something I was never a fan of. It either took to long to charge (SA1) or sporadically worked (SA2) or was broken (Heroes, Shadow, '06). Unleashed did a pretty good job with it, rarely did it go wrong for me, but they used it for far to many quick reaction moments.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 07:34:09 am »
I think it was perfected in SA2, it is broken like everything else in Shadow05/Sonic06.

Though the Spin Dash was prominently available in Sonic 06.

It was the wretched Unleashed that screwed things up, it removed Ring Boxes with Gaint Mario like Coins and introduced the inability to collect rings after getting hit.

Atleast Colors fixed the ring issue, now if they can restore the Ring boxes and get rid of the Huge rings stolen directly from Mario i'd be much more at ease.

End of the day what kills Colors are the invisible walls. The wisp only hurt the gameplay, they are cool but the whole temporary power up kind of thing they have is extremely heavy handed and makes the game feel even more linear.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 09:05:18 pm »
Wisp are the best, most fun thing added to a Sonic game in over a decade, they open new paths and new powers that are enjoyable to find and use.

I LOVED the wisps, In fact if they can introduce the same kind of powers in all Sonic games I'll be very happy... As element sheilds maybe.

I found Sonic Colours to be the best Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 1 and I enjoyed it a ton, the gameplay was fun, the wisps added a lot to replay, the worlds were beautiful. the graphics were amazing for the Wii and the sound track was really, really fucking great.

If you only played to world 2 then perhaps that is why you didn't get into it...
Made by SEGA

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 12:38:46 am »
Quote from: "cube_b3"
It was the wretched Unleashed that screwed things up, it removed Ring Boxes with Gaint Mario like Coins and introduced the inability to collect rings after getting hit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the original Sonic The Hedgehog on Genesis not have the ability to collect rings after getting hit? It's been awhile.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2011, 01:15:29 am »
Quote from: "Supa"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the original Sonic The Hedgehog on Genesis not have the ability to collect rings after getting hit? It's been awhile.

You are wrong.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 01:40:30 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
If you only played to world 2 then perhaps that is why you didn't get into it...

That's a couple of hours of gameplay, and I didn't enjoy it much. I think I gave it a fair go.

I'll give it another shot again later down the track, but for now, I'd rather play Yakuza 4.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2011, 03:17:07 am »
You should Mademang. It does get more interesting more you progress. Lately i've been giving it some playthroughs(in challenge mode) and the first world is nothing special. Allthough I do think the second worlds is where it starts. If you didn't like it still than I can say that it does get better. I hope you'll like it or else it just isn't your cup of tea :p.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2011, 07:39:46 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
I LOVED the wisps, In fact if they can introduce the same kind of powers in all Sonic games I'll be very happy... As element sheilds maybe.

I have a strong feeling that Sonic Anniversary will reintroduce the item boxes with Wisp-like powers. Why not have enhanced elemental shields? Lightening = laser, Fire = Frenzy, water = usual bubble, earth (new element) = drill, wind (new element) = rocket. Then the usual shield and invincibility.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2011, 09:34:53 am »
Unlikely, while it would be awesome.

The present Sonic Team has removed the boxes altogether, I personally think it sucks but in Unleashed they removed ring dropping. But Colors brought them back, so let's hope the boxes return.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 09:46:15 am »
Unlikely, while it would be awesome.

The present Sonic Team has removed the boxes altogether, I personally think it sucks but in Unleashed they removed ring dropping. But Colors brought them back, so let's hope the boxes return.

Ah ha! But remember we did see them return in Sonic 4. Despite the green eyes and modern Eggman, they still brought back the old TV monitors. Also, a render of Sonic celebrating the 20th was leaning on a old school TV box. Not the biggest signs of a return, but better than nothing.

I think the problem with the TV box is that in 3D it's hard to see what the item is from all angles. Unless they have a 4 sided monitor. Thus, the capsule. Still, I'd love to see a compromise. Like a 4 sided TV as mentioned or something else.

edit:
like this:

Sorta like a hybrid of the SA1 box and the classic Sonic 1 box.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 09:53:50 am »
I don't feel the need to bring back the old TV boxes... In Sonic Adventure they had those glass-like things you break that contain 10 rings, sheilds etc and I think it worked better then TVs.

Having 4 sided tvs seems a bit... clumsy
Made by SEGA