Author Topic: Phantasy Star Online 2 - Official Pre-Release Topic  (Read 243098 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Re: Phantasy Star Online 2 - Official Pre-Release Topic
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2011, 01:32:55 pm »
Quote from: "ezodagrom"
@Shadi:
Just because a card is double slot, doesn't mean it has high power consumption, it only means that it has better cooling.

Anyway, about good mid-end graphics cards with relatively low power consumption, you can't go wrong with the Radeon HD5750, Radeon HD5770, or Radeon HD6850. These 3 only require one 6-pin pci-express power connector, with the HD5750 having a TDP of 86W, HD5770 having a TDP of 108W, and the HD6850 having a TDP of 127W.
dhmmmm i see.. looks like immah have to buy a new power supply xP the 5750 says 450 watts minimum. i have 420 watts i think.

A friend told me ATi/AMD's drivers suck and to get nvidia.. just curious if you know what the nvidia equivalents of those would be. My final decision will probably be based on power consumption and price.. lol not going to be a maniac and tweak this card like my friend does so i doubt ATi's drivers will "suck" for me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline ezodagrom

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2011, 02:03:09 pm »
Well, about driver problems with AMD cards, usually it's just with crossfire/dual-gpu systems, for single-gpu systems there's not that many problems.
I have an HD4850 on my PC, my brother has one as well on his, my parents PC has a HD4670 and my notebook has an old Mobility X1600, neither of them ever had any major issue with drivers.

Anyway, the Nvidia cards:
GTS450 is comparable with the HD5750 in performance, but has higher power consumption.
GTX550 Ti has a little bit higher performance than the HD5770, but higher price and higher power consumption as well.
GTX460 1GB version (not the GTX460 SE) is comparable with the HD6850, but has higher power consumption and it's more expensive.

About cards with lower power consumption so that you don't have to change power supply, there's the new Radeon HD6670. If you're not in a hurry to get a new card, I suggest waiting for it to lower a bit in price.

One question though, what is your current card?

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2011, 02:28:11 pm »
Well, about driver problems with AMD cards, usually it's just with crossfire/dual-gpu systems, for single-gpu systems there's not that many problems.
I have an HD4850 on my PC, my brother has one as well on his, my parents PC has a HD4670 and my notebook has an old Mobility X1600, neither of them ever had any major issue with drivers.

GTS450 is comparable with the HD5750 in performance, but has higher power consumption.
GTX550 Ti has a little bit higher performance than the HD5770, but higher price and higher power consumption as well.
GTX460 1GB version (not the GTX460 SE) is comparable with the HD6850, but has higher power consumption and it's more expensive.

About cards with lower power consumption so that you don't have to change power supply, there's the new Radeon HD6670. If you're not in a hurry to get a new card, I suggest waiting for it to lower a bit in price.

I had a 7600GT.. but my old motherboard burnt out.. and since then ive had.. dun dun duuuuuun... prepare for epic fail

HD3200 built onto the motherboard =P

My original PC with the 7600GT I actually built for PSU.. lmao

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2011, 02:55:01 pm »
The level Suzuki Yu posted is very small and will of course have better detail overall.

That is to say we are all just guessing right now and it is kind of pointless.

However, the comments I see against darker colored games is pretty annoying. Halo Reach has some of the best art this gen. Where is your God now?

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2011, 03:15:56 pm »
Quote from: "ShadiNeko"

I had a 7600GT.. but my old motherboard burnt out.. and since then ive had.. dun dun duuuuuun... prepare for epic fail

Might as well ask what is your CPU as well.

Anyway, if you go for the Radeon HD6670, it's going to be a good upgrade compared to the 7600GT you used to have, the performance of the HD6670 should match or even surpass the 9800GT.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2011, 03:21:29 pm »

Might as well ask what is your CPU as well.

Anyway, if you go for the Radeon HD6670, it's going to be a good upgrade compared to the 7600GT you used to have, the performance of the HD6670 should match or even surpass the 9800GT.
AMD 64 X2 5400+ 2.80Ghz. I will probably have to get new everything.. lol besides the case... and drive.. i want a new hard drive. I know mine are eventually going to go out on me.

how is the HD6670 compared to the GTS450?

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2011, 03:25:08 pm »
HD6670 is quite a bit weaker than the GTS450, that one is comparable with the HD5750 (or the soon to be released HD6750, which will basically be an HD5750 with a different name).

Anyway, about graphics cards, currently the best card in the $75~$150 range when it comes to the relation of price/performance is the Radeon HD5770, it's just a little bit more expensive than the HD5750, around the same price as the GTS450, but has better performance than both.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »
I see. I just don't want a super loud PC >_> lol... when I first built my PC it was so loud. Then once i switched to the integrated graphics i ripped out the fans since they were just making useless noise =P

I'm interesting in getting whichever runs the most efficient I guess you could say. I don't mind sacrificing some GPU power in order for a quieter, cooler running system.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2011, 03:36:49 pm »
I see. I just don't want a super loud PC >_> lol... when I first built my PC it was so loud. Then once i switched to the integrated graphics i ripped out the fans since they were just making useless noise =P

I'm interesting in getting whichever runs the most efficient I guess you could say. I don't mind sacrificing some GPU power in order for a quieter, cooler running system.

I'd go with a GTX 460 1 GB personally, after rebate this evga is $130 http://http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6976278&CatId=3669

I just built this PC around 2-3 months ago and that is what I tossed inside of it.

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2011, 04:00:10 pm »
Quote from: "TaroYamada"

I'd go with a GTX 460 1 GB personally, after rebate this evga is $130 http://http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6976278&CatId=3669

I just built this PC around 2-3 months ago and that is what I tossed inside of it.
That is the GTX460 SE, which is even weaker than the GTX460 768MB, but for $130 it's rather nice. I don't understand how rebates work though. o_o

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2011, 04:21:35 pm »

That is the GTX460 SE, which is even weaker than the GTX460 768MB, but for $130 it's rather nice. I don't understand how rebates work though. o_o

You send them in the mail with a copy of your receipt, they send you a check back. They do it because a lot of people don't actually bother sending em back. Also found the same card, but with free shipping: http://http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2011, 04:35:05 pm »
You send them in the mail with a copy of your receipt, they send you a check back. They do it because a lot of people don't actually bother sending em back. Also found the same card, but with free shipping: http://http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591
Ah...

Well, for the price of the GTX460 SE on Newegg, the GTX460 768MB would be a better option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121390

But, if power consumption is a concern, I think a cheaper HD5770 would be preferable:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102873

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2011, 04:38:38 pm »
I recently got a 5850 Radeon HD second handed for 110 euro's. It did need 2 pci-e 6 pins but luckily I allready had Power supply with 2.

It was a good purchase and I think it runs all this gen games on max... if you have a good cpu as well. Assassins creed 2 required a dual core 3ghz processor. I think if you have a decent video card and a processor like that, PSO2, not even looking close to the visuals of AC2 should run pretty well with a dual core processor around 3ghz

I remember PSO and PSU being laggy even with good hardware while the games didnt even look all that great. I really hope they wont make that mistake again.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2011, 03:19:54 pm »
I would not buy a whole computer for this game just yet. Firstly I expect console releases, and otherwise we have no idea what the specs could be. By the time the full game is out, they could be completely different than the beta, and by the time it is out the prices for the computer parts would be cheaper anyways.

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2011, 04:00:22 pm »
Some extra new info:
Sakai posted a blog post about PSO2, it’s more conceptual information than actual information, but regardless the game is currently before the alpha stage. Here are some selected notes.

- These are development images. There still some more time until the alpha test, with many elements not in it. There’s still more information about PSO2 to be revealed, right now you’ve only seen just one portion of the entire thing.

- This project was started to allow many people with PCs to readily play this game. There’s no need for you to think that you need the latest PC to play because the game’s graphics can be adjusted.

- Yes the PC allows for the game to be better graphically, and certainly graphics are important. However, we aren’t making this game to show off a tech demo, we want to make a game for everyone to enjoy.

- In addition, I cannot say that I am satisfied with this, it is currently in a stage before the alpha. I want to continue polishing it up in the future.

- PSO2 faces many challenges and one of the challenges is to focus on those who don’t play PC games. More challenges will be revealed in the future.
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-minor-website-update/