Author Topic: The SEGA CD Thread  (Read 13242 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
The SEGA CD Thread
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:08:32 pm »
Let's talk SEGA CD!

Having collected a good portion of games that I've wanted for the Dreamcast,  Saturn and 32X, I've recently shifted focus to the Genesis add-on the SEGA CD. I've had the add-on (hard to call it a console) itself since around 1997 when I picked it up used along with Sonic CD and Ecco Tides of Time.

What I really appreciate about the SEGA CD, and what was one of its major downfalls, is how inaccessible it is. Unlike the Dreamcast, where you just know what the great games are, the SEGA CD requires effort and research to really find the gems. More difficult, yes, but far more rewarding. Of course, Sonic CD, Ecco, Snatcher, Final Fight and the Lunar games are well known. But there are also a number of decent fmv games (most people think they're all shit), point and click adventure games and Genesis ports that beat out the 16-bit cartridge originals.

Some games I recently came across that get little press yet are quite good include Road Avenger, Rise of the Dragon, Jurassic Park, Earthworm Jim and Mickey Mania. I've been playing games on my original SEGA CD when I can, however thanks to near perfect emulation I've been enjoying many of the more rare titles on my GP2X Caanoo handheld. Having games like Lunar and Snatcher on the go is really awesome.

Currently, my collection includes: Double Switch, Sonic CD, Ecco Tides of Time, Silpheed, Sewer Shark, Bram Stoker's Dracula (AWFUL!) and Corpse Killer (CD 32X version). Small, but I'm looking to add more games.

So share your SEGA CD memories, favorite games, micro reviews, collections, etc.  :afroman:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: The SEGA CD Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 02:49:19 pm »
I've only really put much time into Snatcher and Sonic CD.
I loved both of them though, so I've pretty much just had great experiences with the SEGA CD.
I played a bit of Lunar on it, but it's received better ports since then.

The music in Sonic CD, and the voice acting in Snatcher were pretty shocking to hear the first time. Mostly because I was looking at 16-bit graphics, but not hearing 16-bit chiptunes.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 04:57:39 pm »
I'm looking forward to playing Rise of the Dragon on my home console, a poor man's Snatcher. I put out a request for that, Ecco (first one), Jurassic Park and Star Wars Rebel Assault to a seller. Fingers crossed he has them in.

I know it has been more than 15 years, but the CD quality sound and voices still blow me away.

[youtube:wi33z88z]Qeco96Hw2DY[/youtube:wi33z88z]

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:10:24 pm »
I happen to know one of the actors in Night Trap.  But I've never played any Sega CD games at all, only watched videos of them.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:13:04 am »
Quote from: "Centrale"
I happen to know one of the actors in Night Trap.  But I've never played any Sega CD games at all, only watched videos of them.

Woh! Which one? I recall on YouTube, one of the Corpse Killer playthroughs has comments from one of the actors. Pretty funny stories of what went on during the shoot.

Ever plan on picking up a SEGA CD? I suggest the model 2. Not as cool looking, but far more reliable as there are less moving parts.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:25:51 pm »
His name is Andras Jones.  He's also been in several films, including one of the Nightmare on Elm Streets.  I don't think I've ever actually talked to him about Night Trap specifically.  I know him more from us both being musicians than from gaming culture.  But I could ask him if he'd be interested in doing an interview about his Night Trap experience.

I haven't thought much about getting a SEGA CD.  I remember at the time feeling like games were headed in a direction I didn't really like.  The Western developers were becoming more and more prominent and were filling up the screen with heads-up-displays and making games with low frame rates... I actually sold my Genesis in '91 and stopped playing games almost entirely until about '98, although I kept reading about them throughout that time.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 10:02:51 am »
SEGA CD is one of my favorite platforms, not really because of the games (though it does have some wonderful titles!), but because it is just so interesting and unique, especially for the time it was released. You all know I love Ecco (the first game on SEGA CD actually has a lot of new content, too), but Snatcher is one of my favorite games of all time too.

The tech had much more potential really. I would have loved to see more games based around the spinning and expanding design that is commonly known as Mode7 on Super Nintendo. Hell, even a whole Sonic game based on the Sonic CD special stages could have been cool.

Some of my favorites that are not mentioned here yet are Shining Force CD (remake of the first two Game Gear titles), Lords of Thunder, Batman Returns Silpheed and even pretty meh games like SPider-Man vs The Kingpin are amazing if not just for their soundtracks.

I even enjoyed some of the FMV games a lot, like Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and Time Gal. Most of the other ones are just fun because they are so bad that I find it hard to complain.

One of my favorite games for it had a really unique history in it's English release. Popful Mail was supposed to be released as "Sister Sonic", basically the same game but with new Sonic characters replacing everything, but the fans reacted extremely poorly and all this was changed. Now that is a fun fact!

Besides being ONE OF THE HARDEST GAMES EVER. It also has some of the funniest dialog in the industry outside of Yakuza.

[youtube:3gqwptnc]cbytaetCoxs[/youtube:3gqwptnc]

Hmm... I could talk about SEGA CD all day, so I will just end it with I wish there were remakes of some of the best known/loved Genesis games for it, like Ecco was. Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe, tons of stuff could have been awesome. Oh well.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 01:37:00 pm »
Well said sanus! Yeah, I love the SEGA CD not so much for the games, but because of the reasons you've mentioned. The Genesis is one of my favorite consoles, and I do really like the concept and execution of the SEGA CD hardware. In my eyes, it makes the Genesis even better.

But yeah, there are a ton of hidden gems. I've also noticed that there are a good number of pc/mac games that were ported to the SEGA CD. At the time, the SEGA CD versions paled in comparison to the computer versions. But now, with the computer versions mostly unplayable on current hardware, the SEGA CD versions have become the only way to play. Kind of funny how time works in that way. Like, Star Wars Rebel Assault won't work on my Mac anymore, but I can still play the SEGA CD version. Same with The Adventures of Willy Beamish.  

Shame the 32X complicated things. I like the 32X, but it really ruins the aesthetic look of the console and only adds 5 or so quality games to the library. Also, I get the feeling that a lot of the shit the 32X received transferred to the SEGA CD. Oh well, at least I can now play CD 32X games  :lol:

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 03:11:03 am »
After the Saturn the Mega CD is my fav console (yes I know it's really an add on ) It has a huge number of gems and even the FMV games (which get a lot of stick) are really good.

Batman Returns - The game that showed what the Mega Cd could really do, and is imo the best 16 bit racer ever made

[youtube:1fl1er3z]ZcSovxUN8Zg[/youtube:1fl1er3z]

SoulStar - Pushes the Mega CD more than anyother game

[youtube:1fl1er3z]1aMjGyhDNiA[/youtube:1fl1er3z]

Cliffhanger - Platform section are crap but the full Film OST and snowboard sections are awesome

[youtube:1fl1er3z]_in0NdwqCNA[/youtube:1fl1er3z]

Battlecorps  - Lovely little Mech game

[youtube:1fl1er3z]mE-4gpnDhWE[/youtube:1fl1er3z]

Lunar - The best and most magical game/RPG I have ever played

[youtube:1fl1er3z]5MFoDH1OUos[/youtube:1fl1er3z]

XJ220 - Lovely racer with one of the best soundtracks around

[youtube:1fl1er3z]-eCaFHm9k-s[/youtube:1fl1er3z]

Dracula Unleashed - The best FMV game ever made, and a great point and click game in it's own right

[youtube:1fl1er3z]6Ske_L5Rt6U[/youtube:1fl1er3z]

Wing Commander - The best port of the game around

[youtube:1fl1er3z]cjLDi8LD9Es[/youtube:1fl1er3z]
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 07:55:48 am »
Great recommendations, TA!

I played a bit of Ecco and Rise of the Dragon last night. Ecco's music was amazing, as expected. I'm so glad I took the extra effort to set my console up for stereo sound.

Rise of the Dragon is very cool, however my SEGA CD isn't perfect, it's a little glitchy at times. I can do just about anything in the game, but am unable to check my answering machine for messages. If I do check it, the game freezes up. Doubt it's a disc error, as it looks clean and my system has done goofy things like this before.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 11:40:01 am »
Rise of the Dragon is almost as good as Snatcher.

Other gems to look out for are

Most of the Wolf team FMV games

Prize Fighter (the best use of FMV ever )

Wonderdog (makes you happy to play it)

Heart of the Alien

Third World War

Keio Flying Squadron

Bari Armi

Robo Aleste

Jurrasic Park (a over looked point and click classic)

Slypheed

Chuck Rock II

Ground Zero Texas

Spiderman Vs Kingpin

Eternal Champions

Eye of the Beholder (just for the Yuzo soundtrack)

Final Fight CD

Switch (one of my fav games of all time)

Sonic CD

Mickey Mania

Puggsy

Thunder Hawk

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs

Flink

Pitfall
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 12:18:28 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
I'm so glad I took the extra effort to set my console up for stereo sound.

It is QSound you dingus, the great new technological breakthrough designed just for videogames that sends you into the third dimension!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 07:41:23 pm »
From TA's recommendations, I picked up Dracula Unleashed at the local used game shop for $10. I'll let you know how I like it!

They also had Jaguar XJ220, but it was $10 and the box was real beat up. I'd rather just get the disc only for $4 online.

Offline Grounder

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 03:27:07 pm »
The Sega CD is a very underrated system. My favorite game on it is Snatcher. Some of the other games I like on it are:

Space Ace
Time Gal
Kamen Rider Zo:The Masked Rider
Final Fight CD
Fatal Fury Special
The Terminator
Night Trap (**** you, I like it)
Sol-Feace
Revenge of the Ninja
Rise of the Dragon
Lords of Thunder (best shooter on the system!)
Batman Returns (I actually prefer the Game Gear version though)
Demolition Man
Wing Commander

This is just what I know off the top of my head.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 05:12:59 pm »
I agree, Night Trap is awesome. Do you have the CD 32X version? I don't just the regular one. But I do have Corpse Killer for CD 32X.