Author Topic: Sonic Generations General Discussion  (Read 191270 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: Sonic Generations General Discussion
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2011, 11:47:36 am »
You generally want a game that not only hardcore fans will enjoy in order to expand your userbase. 

Works fine for Mario . I think the huge part of the issues with Sonic games is it lost it's way and didn;t give the Hardcore fans what they wanted - A sonic game where you only played as Sonic and the whole game was designed around Sonic (not other characters)

I cannot think of a moment where anyone specifically complains about the physics in modern Sonic's gameplay.

Sonic IV is consistently bashed for it's Physics

bad level design, zoomed out camera and stuff like QTEs and the werehog. Among other obvious annoyances like Shadow's presence and overly serious storylines.

QTE only came with Sonic Unleashed, WereHog only featured in one game,  Sonic had bullshit storyline's since Sonic CD, new characters add in witch each new game since the 1st Game and zoomed out camera is a new one on me.  If people we just knocked the bugs, the piss poor control, the issues with jumping and homing attacks (on the Modern Sonic's) it be much harder to take issue with those complaints imo

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #211 on: August 18, 2011, 12:15:15 pm »
Works fine for Mario . I think the huge part of the issues with Sonic games is it lost it's way and didn;t give the Hardcore fans what they wanted - A sonic game where you only played as Sonic and the whole game was designed around Sonic (not other characters)

This is incorrect. Most Sonic fans I know of like the option to play as other characters, it only got annoying when you were required to play as the others and they had significantly different play styles like fishing. I have literally never seen anyone complain about the option to play as Tails in Sonic 2, for instance.

Sonic IV is consistently bashed for it's Physics

...Are you serious?

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is a newer game, but not designed like the modern games at all. This was my previous point of why people get upset about the physics of the "Classic themed" games being released recently. Like I said with New Super Mario Brothers, they sold the game as a new game that is similar to the classics, not "Exactly as you remember, the direct sequel you have waited 16 years for".

For instance, people complain about the Adventure games of course, but it is not marketed as exactly like the classic games or anything like that, which is why no one was really vocal on the physics. They were fine for what they were. Sonic Heroes has literally the worst physics in the entire franchise, but I cannot think of an instance where people said they ruined the physics... Because it was never marketed as "Exactly like the classics".

QTE only came with Sonic Unleashed, WereHog only featured in one game,  Sonic had bullshit storyline's since Sonic CD, new characters add in witch each new game since the 1st Game and zoomed out camera is a new one on me.  If people we just knocked the bugs, the piss poor control, the issues with jumping and homing attacks (on the Modern Sonic's) it be much harder to take issue with those complaints imo

Well that is my point, each new game has major stupid concepts like the QTEs or the werehog that no one wanted. It is basic stuff like those that just make Sonic Team look incredibly unprofessional in almost every regard. I personally do not mind if a game is little glitchy or has some annoying functions every now and then, but these are common complaints that simply make people not want the games. It is especially annoying when classic gameplay is marketed at, then is completely wrong. Of course people are going to complain... They were essentially lied to.

Do not even dare bring the story of Sonic CD in here. You know as well as everyone else in the world knows it was just implemented to impress people with animated cutscenes that were rarely even in the games anyways. I mean more stuff like Dr Robotnik's grandfather becoming emo and wanting to kill everyone on Earth or Sonic being shot in the back or Chip turning into Voltron made out of temples is the kind of stuff that really turns people off. Even side games have awkward stuff like this. Everyone is aware of things like this. It is embarrassing.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2011, 12:29:58 pm »
I have literally never seen anyone complain about the option to play as Tails in Sonic 2

Tails was useless thought out the game and pretty much did nothing. Thankfully he wasn't required to play the game and the player could play as Sonic all the way through.

when you were required to play as the others and they had significantly different play styles like fishing.

You could play trough the whole of Sonic Adv  'Sonic' stages with out the need to Play as Big. It was optional for the player (granted you need to finish the other stages for the true ending)

This was my previous point of why people get upset about the physics of the "Classic themed" games being released recently

??? There are countless posts and even YouTube videos going on about Sonic IV physics.

Well that is my point, each new game has major stupid concepts like the QTEs or the werehog that no one wanted

The QTE's must have up less than 2% of the Unleashed , I really can't believe they'll be an issue . The Werehog stages weren't what people wanted granted - I think Sonic Team got the message on that one .

Do not even dare bring the story of Sonic CD in here

Oh I will it made no sense, and was complete bullshit, as was a time travelling Hedgehog but hey its a 16 bit Sonic so it's cool...  Where's my rose tinted glasses.

You're having a laugh if people play Mario or Sonic games for their storyline's

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #213 on: August 18, 2011, 12:57:23 pm »
Not to get into the entire debate, but I just wanted to say that the QTE's make up much more than 2% of Unleashed. They had that little devices that shot you into the right direction if you hit the right button, and into a hazard if you were wrong. They had those wall pads that dropped you into a pit if you failed and they had those ramps that required (often) ludicrously long QTEs. Fail those and you either dropped to the lower path (preferred) or fell into a death pit (why!?). I hated them. They didn't so much ruin the game, but the latter half of the daytime stages would have been much better off without them.

Thank goodness Sonic Team dropped QTEs in Sonic Colors and Generations, in favor of repeatedly hitting a button or moving the stick about.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #214 on: August 18, 2011, 01:32:56 pm »
6 Buttons on Screen, isn't so bad...anyone should be able to handle that. And the Ramps were used sparkingly, they aren't good design, but I don't think it's something to get furios or whine about.

Tornado stage however is some of the most montoneus gameplay ever, especially for a big-budget HD game.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2011, 02:21:23 pm »
I hated when you'd get tossed a "A, Y, X, LB LB RB LB" and are totally not prepared for it. But yeah, I'm not furious about them or anything. I just disliked them a lot and am very glad they were dropped.

Tornado mini-game! Ugh! I played through those once, and after beating them never returned. I have no clue why anybody would want to replay those.

According to leaks, the Tornado will be returning in Generations, though I have no clue how. Mission or mini-game?

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2011, 04:34:17 pm »

Tornado mini-game! Ugh! I played through those once, and after beating them never returned. I have no clue why anybody would want to replay those.

I personally found those fun. I've always tried to get a perfect combo on both of those stages.

I'm loving how it looks like there are foreground and background paths for some of the classic Sonic levels:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:44:38 pm by CosmicCastaway »
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline upsidedown fuji

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Chillin' with the Blue Rogues.
    • Upsidedown Fuji
« Reply #217 on: August 18, 2011, 09:05:45 pm »
Man, Generations is looking good. Every new video and screenshot released seems to top the last. This is so exciting. :D

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #218 on: August 19, 2011, 06:51:19 pm »
So I initially didn't bother with Fluffy's comments about the 1st stage being the only stage thing, but the more I think about it the more it gets to me.

Basically how will they handle the progression of the game?

The levels in Sonic stages with the exception of Adventure 2 & Unleashed are usually similar.

Sonic always has a variety of stages.

Starting with tropical stages.
Polluted or Contaminated Landmarks like Egypt, Coal Mines, Volcano's or something.
Cityscapes, Highways.
Exotic locations Egypt (in a lot of games) and all of Unleashed.
Industrial Complexes like Mad Gear Zone (Sonic 4), Flying Battery (S&K), Oil Ocean (Sonic 2).
Out of Space Stages (half the games in the series).

Basically we have Exotic, Green, Urban Stages, Industrial and Out of Space.

Hmmm after thinking about it... It doesn't seem to be a problem except Seaside Hill from Sonic Heroes that was unnecessary they should have gone with something less GHZy.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #219 on: August 20, 2011, 03:35:44 am »
A lot of sonic fans get sold quick by the visuals alone. So far these latest screens are the best, but I remain cautious as I know the gameplay will not be on par with the visuals.

Well its too bad nobody else so far has learned to take a cautious approch like you have. Reading some of the comments so far in this topic, people are acting like this game is going to be the second "bloody" coming.

This is incorrect. Most Sonic fans I know of like the option to play as other characters, it only got annoying when you were required to play as the others and they had significantly different play styles like fishing. I have literally never seen anyone complain about the option to play as Tails in Sonic 2, for instance.

...Are you serious?

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is a newer game, but not designed like the modern games at all. This was my previous point of why people get upset about the physics of the "Classic themed" games being released recently. Like I said with New Super Mario Brothers, they sold the game as a new game that is similar to the classics, not "Exactly as you remember, the direct sequel you have waited 16 years for".

For instance, people complain about the Adventure games of course, but it is not marketed as exactly like the classic games or anything like that, which is why no one was really vocal on the physics. They were fine for what they were. Sonic Heroes has literally the worst physics in the entire franchise, but I cannot think of an instance where people said they ruined the physics... Because it was never marketed as "Exactly like the classics".

Well that is my point, each new game has major stupid concepts like the QTEs or the werehog that no one wanted. It is basic stuff like those that just make Sonic Team look incredibly unprofessional in almost every regard. I personally do not mind if a game is little glitchy or has some annoying functions every now and then, but these are common complaints that simply make people not want the games. It is especially annoying when classic gameplay is marketed at, then is completely wrong. Of course people are going to complain... They were essentially lied to.

Do not even dare bring the story of Sonic CD in here. You know as well as everyone else in the world knows it was just implemented to impress people with animated cutscenes that were rarely even in the games anyways. I mean more stuff like Dr Robotnik's grandfather becoming emo and wanting to kill everyone on Earth or Sonic being shot in the back or Chip turning into Voltron made out of temples is the kind of stuff that really turns people off. Even side games have awkward stuff like this. Everyone is aware of things like this. It is embarrassing.

Spot on, factual and precisely to the point.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Loving Life
« Reply #220 on: August 20, 2011, 03:50:52 am »

Hmmm after thinking about it... It doesn't seem to be a problem except Seaside Hill from Sonic Heroes that was unnecessary they should have gone with something less GHZy.

It looks like they are using more of the Ocean Palace visuals for Sonic Generations, which are quite different from Green Hill Zone.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #221 on: August 20, 2011, 10:44:47 am »
3DS Big Arms boss has revamped music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_tRYc-gRcA#ws

Sounds awesome!

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #222 on: August 20, 2011, 12:40:06 pm »
Holy shit that really was awesome... I hope someone can get the full rip.
I have no interest in the 3DS Sonic Generations but that tune is fantastic!

Made by SEGA

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Loving Life
« Reply #223 on: August 20, 2011, 03:04:01 pm »
That remix of the final boss theme is all sorts of awesome.  To be honest that boss from Sonic 3 was always the most difficult for me. Playing as Knuckles however it's a piece of cake.

Also, I started playing through Sonic Heroes again today and I must say that I now completely disagree with people who are saying Seaside Hill=Green Hill Zone. Aside from the checkered ground in the grass sections the stages have pretty much nothing in  common.  The red and white ruins are much more prominent as a visual pathway, particularly in the second half of the level. I'm curious to see if the bobsled segment will be incorporated for the Sonic Generations version of this stage, I'd be a nice touch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kQe61n6kZw#
Can't wait to hear what the classic version of this will sound like. 
Unlimited Continues:

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #224 on: August 20, 2011, 03:30:28 pm »
@Sharky: Yeah, the 3DS version is kind of unexciting to me, mainly because it seems the classic Sonic stages are a direct copy of the original act 1's. I'm really hoping they confirm alternate act maps for both classic and modern. Perhaps that is what streetpass unlocks?

However, I'm certain that the best thing to come from the 3DS version will be all the remixed tunes. Couple that with what the HD version will have and we're getting around 40+ remixes (18+ from HD, 14+ from 3DS plus rivals, bosses, special stages and menus).

@CosmicCastaway: 100% Agree with you. Aside from palmtrees and checkerboard rocks, Seaside Hill is very different from Green Hill. For one thing, it is much lower to the water. Generations is looking to incorporate colorful underwater reefs and aquatic life. The red and white palace structures are far more prominent. In fact, it looks like you spend a majority of the stages running along the palaces while the Green Hill inspired rocks are in the background. Don't forget the whale shaped islands. It's like Labyrinth Zone set outside during the daytime in a tropical reef.

It is actually much more Ocean Palace than Seaside Hill, what with the leanings towards the palace architecture.

I'll bet it will look much more like SASASR's Ocean Ruin track than Seaside Hill or even Green Hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm5hjEgYdOY#ws