Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS gets huge price drop, early adopters get 20 free GBA and NES games  (Read 21823 times)

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
Nintendo is simply bizarre with how they title people... that is not what I would ever consider an 'ambassador'.
...Who cares?
As for 3DS, it seems more like a Virtual Boy at the moment. I do not want 3D anything besides Space Harrier 3D, and I want to wear some glasses during. 3D just seems like a pointless gimmick, eye strain, and a huge waste of battery power for a handheld.
Then turn it off? I played my friends 3DS and the 3D was REALLY cool. I didn't feel any eye strain during my gameplay whatsoever.
Considering how egotistical Nintendo is, I hope it fails hard.
Well, it won't! I guess that is too bad?

Price cut and Mario Kart 3DS is sure to pull a TON OF SALES this holiday season.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
Considering how egotistical Nintendo is, I hope it fails hard.
Did I miss something? I know Nintendo likes to keep it's head in the sand and that they only do what they think is best, but I wouldn't call them egotistical. Especially considering they are giving games to people who bought the 3DS early because of the price drop.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
And Nintendo does admit their mistakes. At least they aren't firing 100's of employees over this like the average American company does. Nintendo cut the salaries of several workers (Usually top workers like the president) instead.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
I still don't see how anyone can defend this piece of junk =P

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
I still don't see how anyone can defend this piece of junk =P

Because they don't have as big of a problem with it as you do?

EDIT: To be honest, being a 3DS owner/supporter is a pretty bizarre position at this point. This is from someone who doesn't completely regret buying one. Who knows what'll happen at this point, I'd like to see how well it'll do over the holidays once it has more big titles for it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:10:54 pm by Chaosmaster8753 »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Because they don't have as big of a problem with it as you do?

Made me laugh out loud AND give you a kudos, Chaosmaster. I'd go one step further and mail you a Kudos milk chocolate granola bar, but I'm too lazy to walk to the post office and too cheap to pay for the shipping.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
I have a EVO 3D phone, it cost me 200 bucks with contract. Good phone. Do I game on the go with it? No.

Why? Smart phones have horrible battery life. I think that is why PSV and 3DS will probably still sell rather well, people want a dedicated gaming system.

Also the smartphone line up of games is meh. I mean, some good titles come, but its far between. Nothing that would match the PSP/DS line up.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Made me laugh out loud AND give you a kudos, Chaosmaster. I'd go one step further and mail you a Kudos milk chocolate granola bar, but I'm too lazy to walk to the post office and too cheap to pay for the shipping.

If I went a little too far with that statement, I apologize.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
If I went a little too far with that statement, I apologize.

No no, he deserves it. His hatred of all things Nintendo often goes beyond the realm of believability. Shadi, I love ya, but c'mon. Theres opinion with examples to back it up, and then theres trolling for the lol of it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:23:43 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Happy Cat

Sorry, guess I want too far with one simple comment =P

Nintendo makes my blood boil though, can't help myself. You can see my skin bubbling because my blood starts boiling so hot. That's how much i hate Nintendo.

but seriously.. um.. i just don't like them as of recently. All their hardware decisions suck ass. All their hardware decisions are to make them tons of money while shafting the consumer of basic features in similar priced hardware. It's been that way since the Wii, and it looks like it's going to continue with the Wii U. Unless the 3DS gave them a wake up call, but I doubt it.

It makes me happy to see they are losing money on the 3DS now though, serves them right. I guess they didn't really build the thing efficienlty though, that thing shouldn't be losing money at $170 price point.

Nintendo thought they were gonna be able to sell over-priced hardware marketed at non-gamers and $30 shovelware for the rest of their life and got hit by the harsh reality called iOS. That's the real reason Iwata hates smartphones, it stole his casual market.

Sony knows they can't compete with iOS and other smartphones, that's why they created PlayStation Suite. A suite that runs across a variety of smartphones and PS Vita where they will put all their casual games.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:24:12 pm by ShadiNeko »

Offline George

Dude, stop talking about iOS games. I mean, I'm all for iOS development, but if you think that is the reason why 3DS is not doing better than DS, you are in for a rude awaking.

The reason that the 3DS isn't doing as great is because its hard to stand apart from the original DS. THey have the same game cases, some handheld design and they haven't really advertised it as a successor. They just advertise the 3D effect, don't have a great game line up and costs too much to purchase.

If I didn't follow gaming, I would think it was another DS re-release with lame 3D added.

Offline Happy Cat

but it is the reason

why buy $30 shovelware when you can get it for $1 on smartphones

only people buying the 3DS are hardcore Nintendo fans and a few hardcore gamers. Everyone else either laughs at it or doesn't care about it.

Nintendo gave the 3DS it's name because they were hoping the same casual audience would buy it up because it had the word "DS" in the name. They are doing the same thing with the Wii U
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:45:08 pm by ShadiNeko »

Offline George

Dude, shovelware doesn't sell systems. 3DS is prove of that. The great software on DS sold the DS. All those RPGs, big ips like Mario and Zelda.

You can't purchase epic games like Dragon Quest 9 on iOS for a dollar. The market for 'shovelware' isn't as big as you think.

By your logic, the PS3 is losing consumers do to Apple too? They launched the PS3/iPhone at around the same time and the PS3 was a steep decline (more so than 3DS sales) compared to the PS2, which also had a ton of shovelware. So by your logic, all those people bought a $200/300 (at the time they were 500/600) dollar iphone (with a 2 year contract that they must pay 60+ a  month) to play a 99 cent game?

Makes sense to you?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Dude, shovelware doesn't sell systems. 3DS is prove of that. The great software on DS sold the DS. All those RPGs, big ips like Mario and Zelda.

You can't purchase epic games like Dragon Quest 9 on iOS for a dollar. The market for 'shovelware' isn't as big as you think.

By your logic, the PS3 is losing consumers do to Apple too? They launched the PS3/iPhone at around the same time and the PS3 was a steep decline (more so than 3DS sales) compared to the PS2, which also had a ton of shovelware. So by your logic, all those people bought a $200/300 (at the time they were 500/600) dollar iphone (with a 2 year contract that they must pay 60+ a  month) to play a 99 cent game?

Makes sense to you?

Totally agree. As an iPod Touch owner, the first and foremost function of the thing is a music player and video player. I do have a lot of apps, around 4 pages worth, but none of them were the reason I bought the Touch. Most of them I picked up during deep discount and free sales or are SEGA titles. iOS does have some big epic games (the Zenonia series, GTA Chinatown Wars, LEGO Harry Potter, a lot of Square rpgs) but for the most part, the "best games" on iPhone are usually considered to be the 99 cent time wasters (albeit very fun time wasters): http://www.wfmj.com/story/15159111/best-iphone-games

I think the real selling point of iPhones and iPod Touches is that fact that it's a phone, camera, video camera, email and web browser all in one. The games are the cherry on top, but are not the sole reason to buy the device. I'd think it's the non-game apps (and the features listed above) that really sell the device.

I do agree with shadi, though, about Wii U looking to be another 3DS. Unless Nintendo does a damn fine job of marketing it as a NEW HD system and not another Wii. Seriously, I really dont' think a lot of people will be amazed by the control system. I've seen iPads used in conjunction with TVs and desktop computers and it was cool, but not mind blowing. I really could care less if, for example, playing a golf game I set the Wii U screen on the floor and see the golf ball. It's an unnecessary gimmick. I'd rather use a controller or a Kinect (or even a Move) rather than having to set a Wii U on the floor (don't step on it!) and using a wiimote.

I really think Nintendo should drop the "Wii" and just call it the "Nintendo U".

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
I'd like the name Wii Stream or just Stream.