Author Topic: Yakuza for 360 unlikely  (Read 8474 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Yakuza for 360 unlikely
« on: August 24, 2011, 08:54:16 am »
In a recent interview at eurogamer Nagoshi stated that a 360 version of the game is unlikely but he did reveal intresting details of the start of RGG's development and that all the major hardware parties were approched for YAJKUZA...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-24-yakuza-unlikely-on-xbox-360

At the beginning of the project we spoke to all the platform holders including Sony and Microsoft," he said, "Every platform holder was negative about this prospect, but we kept on pushing because we believed in the potential, and as we kept going one platform holder that showed interest and saw the prospects of this title was Sony."

"That's how we started working with them, and that's probably not going to change."

Nagoshi, who's currently working on futuristic third person shooter Binary Domain, was reluctant to say whether the series would return, but said that Yakuza: Of the End, the spin-off game recently released in Japan, was the last of that style of Yakuza.

"The basic style and mechanics is really an old game that started on PS2 and continued on PS3," Nagoshi said, "Times keep changing, and if we started on some new games they would be in a very different shape - so the last game was the end of one particular era."

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: Yakuza for 360 unlikely
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:41:17 am »
The series needs a serious reboot , Nice to see it won't be milked any more for the time being .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:57:21 am »
Maybe no new Yakuza until the next generation of consoles?

The Vita release could be something to hold fans over until the next gen Yakuza?

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:34:55 am »
I love the Yakuza series but it is in need of a reboot of sorts and reallllly in need of a new engine, location, animations etc...
Made by SEGA

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:29:13 pm »
I'd be happy to see Of The End, Kenzan, and the PSP title make it to the West.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 05:15:07 am »
Maybe no new Yakuza until the next generation of consoles?

The Vita release could be something to hold fans over until the next gen Yakuza?
Not really, The pS3 still has a few years left in it and M$ isn't in a rush to produce the next console.Especially in this climate.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:27:43 am »
I get why people write Microsoft as M$ (they like making money, hurdur!), but doesn't every company like money? $ony, $EGA, Nint£ndo, ¥$ N£t? Is it because Microsoft broke the law to make money that they get the special dollar sign? I wonder if the P$2 or P$3 did anything shifty to deserve this special dollar sign...

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 10:30:44 am »
It's more because they have lots of money.  Hurdur.

And it pre-dates the xbox.  I think it started when there were multiple crappy versions of Windows (NT, 2000, ME, 98, and then XP).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:40:32 am by Emmett The Crab »

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 08:04:22 pm »
I get why people write Microsoft as M$ (they like making money, hurdur!), but doesn't every company like money? $ony, $EGA, Nint£ndo, ¥$ N£t? Is it because Microsoft broke the law to make money that they get the special dollar sign? I wonder if the P$2 or P$3 did anything shifty to deserve this special dollar sign...

That... was fantastic.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 10:18:08 pm »
And Microsoft doesn't give two shits about this comment. Yakuza series does 90% of its business in Japan, if it was exclusive to Xbox 360 in Japan starting with Yakuza 3, it wouldn't have changed the position of the Xbox brand there.

If anything, the games would have probably been failures and Nagoshi wouldn't have his own team. I'm up for ports, but when you basically hold 4-5% of the console market of the region where the IP does 90% of its business, its not worth porting.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 02:30:08 am »
Yeah, I agree with George, people complaining about this should buy a PS3 or stop thinking about it.  SEGA does recognize the strength of the 360 though, like if you look at Virtual On Force, they knew the strength was in XBL multi-player.  I don't know how well it sold.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 02:41:47 am »
I wonder what they approached the Hardware companies for?

I mean SEGA is to big of a company for Sony and Microsoft to deny them from publishing a small game like the original Yakuza.

@ The Reboot Discussion

Wouldn't mind it, they were some good stories (in the 2 games i've played) but I feel they weren't told really well... no scratch that I doubt they can tell them better even if they tried. You just like the Yakuza games or you don't. It is probably that kind of thing.

P.S. I'll be buying Yakuza 3 tomorrow :D... I'll probably not like this one as well.

@ The Money Hurdar Discussion:

You guys forget that Sony is at least 10 times at the very least bigger and richer than Microsoft.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 05:18:14 am »
Somehow I'm curious to see the reactions for a Yakuza exclusive to 360.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 12:30:45 pm »
I wonder what they approached the Hardware companies for?

Probably with marketing help, including the RGG3-themed PS3 bundle that came out a while back.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 05:13:35 pm »
Well, when you consider that Alan Wake, one of Microsoft's most prominent and ambitious IPs at the time was basicall sent out to die...

Let Alan Wake serve as an example to all companies that want to push new IPs into Microsoft Game Studio's portfolio.