Author Topic: Virtua Fighter 5 FS: Game of the Year, EVERY YEAR  (Read 39086 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Virtua Fighter 5 FS: If you don't buy this you hate Sega.
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2012, 02:40:33 pm »
Haha! Holy shit thats pathetic. Sorry, just not my thing. I love playing fighting games, but this is a community I would never ever be a part of.

But hey, people are into it so I'm glad they're having fun.  8)

What's pathetic about it (yes, you kind of have struck a nerve)? I can tell by your comments that you never play fighting games, so I don't expect you to realise that these tournaments regularly get hundreds of attendants (Evo this year is likely to sell out the Ceasar's Palace Grand Ballroom for example) and have tens of thousands of viewers online (which is primarily what the commentary and stream is for). When you couple that with players playing the game at the top level, it's easy to see why they get excited. It's not like they are putting it on to make it sound more exciting.

Also, this should be on the front page, or maybe we should just change the site name to SonicBits finally (EDIT: Okay, that was a bit harsh from me...).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:45:00 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2012, 02:58:02 pm »
Dude, chill out. Yeah, looks like I struck a nerve. Sorry if I offended you, but that was just my opinion at the time of seeing the video. I saw the video and did find it, personally, to be a bit uncomfortable seeing dudes losing their shit over a fighting game. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "pathetic", but I definitely wasn't getting jazzed about the game. I was more surprised by how intense they were getting about the game in the commentary.

And FYI: I do play fighting games. Just not at this level. So please don't insult me in that sense.

As for front page news, George or anybody else is free to share this and write something up. I'm not too sure how to write about the video so I'll not be posting it.

lol @ SonicBits. Well, guess thats just your opinion dude. Just happens that our current staff of writers are Sonic fans, and the Sonic franchise has had a lot of news as of late (SASASR2, Sonic 4). Once VF5 rolls around there will be more news pertaining to it (and IMO there already has been). If we had writers who were more focused on fighting games then maybe we'd see more obscure stuff like tournament videos shared on the main page, but we don't.

---

Anyway, long post short, lets not fight. I'm not calling you any names and I'm not hating fighting games. I just found that type of gaming culture to be too much. I'll withdraw my "pathetic" remark. But I still stick by my comments that I personally find that sort of gaming culture to be outside the realm of what I'm cool and comfortable with. It's not my thing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:08:53 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2012, 03:43:23 pm »
If we had writers who were more focused on fighting games then maybe we'd see more obscure stuff like tournament videos shared on the main page, but we don't.
Except that this was an exhibition match put on and paid for by Sega at an official launch party that Sega USA put on to promote the game in America.

But yes, I don't want to fight, and sorry if I offended you as well. Maybe you didn't mean it the way I read it, but I did find the 'pathetic' comment hugely offensive and basically just nasty (especially coming from you, since you are mostly a nice guy). The vid I posted is probably the most extreme situation of going nuts for a game I've seen though, and even fighting fans find it over the top and funny.

I didn't mean to insult you with the comment about you not playing fighting games, but I meant that it's clear that you aren't into them on a competitive level, or you would have been used that kind of commentary by now. And as I edited in, I probably was being a bit harsh on the SonicBits comment, but you know how I feel about Sonic now.  :P

Anyway now that me and Barry have kissed and made up, lets get back to the game: Who's getting it on XBLA, who's getting it on PSN?
I'm going to get it on XBLA for sure. I'm going to need to re-learn VF all over again I fear, I haven't really played a VF game for years unfortunately.

Also, one thing I meant to say about VF before was that i love the way the characters actually evolve in their styles over the years. Take a look at Jacky from VF2 through to Final Showdown and he's changed so much. You get the sense that he's less flashy but more effective in his moves now, and it just seems like they have realistic development in their styles and movelists (being able to combo more of his moves etc). Ditto with Goh, he started out having a heavy Judo influence, but now in FS he looks like he's straight outta Yakuza with brutal street fighting moves and brawling, with just a touch of his Judo origins left. For a game without much storyline, the characters fighting styles themselves seem to tell a good story from game to game.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2012, 05:49:07 pm »
lol Never give up! I love moments let these. I made the crowd scream at Gamestop's MvC Midnight release.

I'll be getting VF5:FS for both consoles, maybe we could have a SegaBits community party like we did with Outrun.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline stevetheman90

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Welcome to the 'Fantasy Zone'! Get Ready!
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2012, 05:55:58 pm »
360 for the win, I am really looking forward to the Easter-Egg costumes. Does any one have any pictures of some of the new costumes? I want make a decision on what packs to get. 

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2012, 05:52:12 pm »
Here's a huge 20 minute segment from Gamespot.com's Now Playing:
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfHZt8-2iA8[/youtube]

They touched a bit on controls, the tweaks... you know, the usual stuff.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2012, 03:15:53 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkdGeDdmTWc&feature=player_embedded

A mini-doco on the launch party with some interviews and background info.

Out in a few days, can't wait!

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2012, 10:25:28 pm »
I have had it early since the 1st on Xbox 360, absolutely amazing game, but I knew that going into it. If anyone has questions about the game I will answer them, but I assume everyone knows what to expect?

Probably my favorite thing not related to the gameplay is how almost every song from the franchise is included and selectable. That is seriously 7+ soundtracks worth right that. The downside is you can not pick and choose which ones you want - Like if you select VF2 music pack you hear all of the VF2 music in their respective character's levels, but the VF3 characters will have VF3 music, VF4 will have theirs, etc. It is kind of annoying because I really think the earlier games have much better music overall.

Will be purchasing it on PlayStation 3 tomorrow (or whenever Sony actually updates), but I intend on playing it most on Xbox 360. I never double dip, but for the amount of content and the different kinds of players you can meet, it is a great deal.

Add me if you want some handcuffed lightning. I have gotten a bit rusty over the years, but generally can play almost all of the characters well enough to hold my own. Used to play as Vanessa the most, but might switch to Pai, maybe Taka. I dunno. They are all so much fun!

Xbox 360: MeatWaffles
PlayStation 3: Meat-Waffles

Also, question to Aki, MadeMang and some of the others intending on playing a lot, can we talk about holding some kind of tournament or something similar? I am sure SEGA would support us if we get a big enough group!

Offline segaismysavior

• Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2012, 11:19:16 pm »
Does this game have online spectator lobbies like DoA games? Or can you only link up with your opponent and not have people watch the match?

I expect to be available on XBL evenings (EST) this weekend , so if anyone wants to pound on a VF5 n00b, send me an invite.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2012, 11:34:23 pm »
Does this game have online spectator lobbies like DoA games? Or can you only link up with your opponent and not have people watch the match?

It has a group mode - The name escapes me, but you can build up a bunch of players in a room and take turns fighting and watching. I have not gotten a chance to check it out fully as not many people are online at the moment, but it does not seem as advanced as the one in Soul Calibur V. In the Xbox 360 version it has a party chat button on the page, but I am not sure if it will have the same thing on PlayStation 3.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2012, 11:50:46 pm »
Good to have you back Sanus, great to hear you are enjoying it. I'm jelly as hell that you've had the game early BTW.

VF2 music in this game is the best thing in the world, ever.

As for a tournament, I guess you mean online? Not sure how that would work, but it shouldn't be too hard to manage. The lobby mode would probably help if it keeps track of wins and losses especially.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2012, 12:47:49 am »
Guess what my boys... Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is free to download for PS+ members. GET DOWN!

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2012, 07:36:00 am »
Guess what my boys... Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is free to download for PS+ members. GET DOWN!
Downlaoded and loving it :D.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2012, 01:17:12 pm »
Damn it. Another day that I'm outta town so I can't buy it for the next two days.

For those of you who bought and are playing it right now, I gotta ask:

1- Does this game have a story mode and endings for characters or is it just like VF 5?
2- I heard Quest Mode is not here, is it DLC or is there something else in the game that plays similar to that?
3- Is there any visual improvement over the 2007 game?
4- Is Dural still a pain in the butt?

Offline segaismysavior

• Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2012, 03:02:26 pm »
3- Is there any visual improvement over the 2007 game?

I only played the demo of that, but I wasn't blown away by the visuals of the original. Final Showdown though sizzles in 720p on my old HDTV, and has very striking shader effects.