Author Topic: SEGA rips our hearts out: Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive  (Read 65450 times)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: SEGA rips our hearts out: Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2012, 03:52:27 pm »
I have a feeling of all Platinum's upcoming games, Metal Gear Rising is probably gonna end up being the most financially successful.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »
Perhaps they did not realise how good our games were. But overall it was the right thing to do.

haha. ouch.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2012, 10:35:23 pm »
God.  Dammit.  Sega. 

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2012, 10:24:38 am »
Sequels can show to become more succesful than their predecessors when the game is actually good. A new IP just takes time to grow. Dead space has shown this with great succes, and I think bayonetta could have been that for SEGA as well.

But it seems SEGA has fucked up big time. It's funny how terrible some of SEGA's managing has been. While great devs like platinum games get the axe(not literally), the most comedic and uninspired people are still part of the company. Man I really hope things will get better eventually. I know these are tough times and they gotta be more picky, but bayonetta was not the game they should have abandoned

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2012, 03:42:42 pm »
I wonder what would happen if Platinum being interested in working with Western publishers would turn out like how Grasshopper Manufacture ended up collaborating with EA and Warner Bros. Interactive recently?

Offline max_cady

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2012, 07:22:32 pm »
Interview with Minami:http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/bayonetta_2/news/platinum_games_in_talks_with_western_publishers_over_future_projects.html

Edge Magazine: Bayonetta on PS3 was out greatest failure, says Inaba

That's a pretty massive ego you got there, Platinum Games...

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2012, 12:58:39 am »
more lovely press for sega. 

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2012, 03:55:50 am »
But it seems SEGA has fucked up big time. It's funny how terrible some of SEGA's managing has been. While great devs like platinum games get the axe(not literally), the most comedic and uninspired people are still part of the company. Man I really hope things will get better eventually. I know these are tough times and they gotta be more picky, but bayonetta was not the game they should have abandoned

I don't know if this is just venting your anger or if you do not like Kikuchi, Kodama, Sakai, Nagoshi or Ueda but this is solely directed at Iizuka, isn't it? I cannot think of anyone else who would qualify otherwise.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2012, 11:38:20 am »
Lol... yeah that was a pretty bold statement. Those are all great names but i'm kind of worried about the future of those devs as well. Ex capcom member Inafune keiji still has alot to prove with the bold statements he has made, but I also feel that japanese developers are kind of losing their touch. During the time when there were still limitations in how a game's presentation could be, a game's greatest selling point had to be it's gameplay and longevity. Games back in those days needed an excellent core mechanic to build around otherwise people would write it off quick. While I didn't specifically mean Iizuka, I do think that sonicteam has been guilty of this. There's this new guy called Miyamoto(just the name alone) who was asigned to direct sonic generations, and his display is just hilarious. The next game will have to prove itself.

Sakai's PSO2 is another ambitious project from SEGA, but it also suffers from the same issue. Great presentation, good amount of content, but suffers from issues in the core. Not because there isn't enough time and money, but simply because of decisions that they make. But in this case it is more complicated because PSO2 has attracted alot of casuals, and they just have fun, but the harcore gamer apreciates it more when a game is well balanced and challenges the player enough to feel satisfied through the whole thing, which PSO2 really lacks at the moment. I do like Sakai alot though, he's offered alot of official oppurtunites for us to give our feedback, so this case just needs time for them to learn... depending on how many express about it, and i've seen quite a few.

Yakuza is a great franchise. As much I love the overall experience, I do think the core has aged a little bit. Yakuza 5 footages have shown new features, new environments and new ways to play, but all those new things won't matter if they haven't upgraded the core mechanics. Though the trailers werent too clear about how well the fighting is going to work, it is the thing i'm anticipating the most. I am not talking about new moves or more spectacal, but i'm talking about more fundemental things like the controls, the flow and balance in the movesets.

But my point as a whole is, that these teams exist of many people who build a game together. How is it that no one in the PSO2 staff has thought of this throughout the development of the game when its origin lay in this type of design in the first place? Why is it that sonicteam keeps being forgiven for any issue we regular people find? Not even one person that speaks up? I don't know how it works exactly but there defenitly seems to be some lack of quality control in the management. If there's one team I trust, it is  the Yakuza team so i'll give you that one. Many other great individuals haven't gotten the treatment they deserved and left eventually. Now the same trend is happening with platinum games who almost seem to have lost their respect for SEGA.

Platinum games is really just as they describe it themselves, a developer that hardly or never makes any bad games. Their games are a near perfect execution of ideas. Former Clover studios has only produced great games. They should have held on to them imo and once bayonetta 2 is gonna become a major franchise, SEGA will have to regret their actions.

I may sound a little negative but I am kind of satisfied with how things are going. It just needs better management is all.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:25:14 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2012, 11:52:05 am »
Crazy Tails, Sega still owns BAYONETTA. They haven't sold the IP to anyone. ::) So when or if it becomes a major franchise which it already is sega will benefit in the long run.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2012, 11:56:07 am »
What if Bayonetta 2 really causes the IP to break out and become a AAA franchise, and when it comes to a third, SEGA refuses to allow PG to make it a Wii U exclusive and instead takes over as publisher again and makes it a launch title for the 720/PS4?

Offline ROJM

« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2012, 12:12:29 pm »
That probably wont happen Barry. Platinum isn't helping matters with their comments lately it may hint that Platinum doesn't believe that they will be working directly with Sega for a very long time or they wouldn't be making them. I dont think that this exclusivity is just exclusive to one BAYONETTA game. We are talking about Nintendo here.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2012, 12:33:53 pm »
Hmm... but at the end of the day, SEGA holds the keys to the IP, right? Just hope PG doesn't burn any bridges.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »
Hmm... but at the end of the day, SEGA holds the keys to the IP, right? Just hope PG doesn't burn any bridges.

Well unless the rules of international trademarks have changed overnight, Yes Sega owns it. But remember video games industry do/plan things in advance. Sega's social gaming statements indicates that they are essentially sitting out of the next gen of hardware so if Nintendo was aware of this then they would have optioned a sequel rights, with Sega agreement and PG as well depending on how well the second game does for exclusivity. Depending on the title these can go up to three games, usually. It would aslo make sense considering Nintendo has pulled this stunt before and since many people have raved that BAYONETTA is the true sucessor to devil may cry, Nintendo would want to secure anytie ups with PG's game to have one of many edges over the competition since they are now directly competing with microsoft and Sony for the hardcore/average gamer rather than the casual. But we have to wait and see, eh.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2012, 01:20:29 pm »
Crazy Tails, Sega still owns BAYONETTA. They haven't sold the IP to anyone. ::) So when or if it becomes a major franchise which it already is sega will benefit in the long run.
I hope so. It seems like Platinum games only needs SEGA for the IP, otherwise i'd say they'd probably regret leaving the ownership of an IP they're very proud and favourable of, to SEGA...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 01:24:48 pm by CrazyTails »