Author Topic: SEGA rips our hearts out: Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive  (Read 65574 times)

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: SEGA rips our hearts out: Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2012, 03:55:31 am »
I hope this game is awesome, but like I've said, what if it ends up being a step down from the first? Sometimes sequels improve on the original, other times... not so much.

Well, that's the nature of any sequel. We'll just have to hope the team still has it.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2012, 08:18:11 am »
So, we're two days post-announcement. How is everybody doing?

I know some are unfazed and I know others were shocked by the news.

Me, I've pretty much accepted it. However, I am still pissed that it is an exclusive. I know the reply "well be happy it exists!" is out there, but really it's not like I made the game or look to profit off it. Being happy something exists isn't always fulfilling. I think the "just be happy" reasoning grinds my gears a bit in that respect. Like, when SEGA Republic opened... in Dubai. I'm neither excited nor disappointed in its existence. If it were more accessible, I'd care. But as is I'm like "Looks really cool, I'm probably never going to go there, so why should I celebrate?"

I know that comparison isn't 1:1 with Bayonetta 2, but I have a strong feeling that I probably won't play the game for a long while. Even if the release is a ways out, I can't see myself playing it on release.

It might become one of those games that I know is out there, and want to play, but don't end up playing until years after the release. Hell, looks at Yakuza 3&4! Have yet to play those! Played Sonic Unleashed 3 years after it released, played Sonic Colors a year and a half after release.

Still will follow the game's release for sure!

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2012, 09:57:49 am »
I'm impressed and disappointed by the news.

Although I am not wild on Bayonetta, it did something unique as a setting and never took itself so seriously.

I am impressed that Nintendo somehow managed to save the franchise from being a once only showing and I hope it proves to be of a great success (assuming SEGA makes SOME money on it).

However, yes, I am disappointed it's an exclusive, but I guess since it's being made by Nintendo, that's a given...the only reason why I am not so angry about it is because in years down the line the game will likely be on another console...and if not, then the Wii U will eventually be at a lower price to purchase it.

I do wish it success since it is an IP everyone here loves after all....
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2012, 03:32:55 pm »
My concern more is how its going to play on that absurd controller

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2012, 04:20:37 pm »
There's always this:

Or this:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:22:25 pm by TimmiT »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2012, 11:06:36 pm »
My hope is, though, that if they have to have it as a Wii U exclusive, they should really MAKE it worthy of that status. Push the graphics to the limit, make sure it doesn't look at all possible on 360 and PS3 (that will be hard to do), and implement the gamepad in clever ways. Not just as a map or accessory selector. Not to say that the gamepad should overtake the game, but if Bayonetta U- er, 2 can play without using the gamepad at all, and you're not missing out on anything, then it'll just feel like a game that should be on the other consoles, but isn't. If that makes sense.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, 11:32:31 pm »

The same way it'd play on an Xbox 360 controller, I imagine. All the WiiU Pad really is is a standard controller with buttons.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2012, 12:18:49 pm »
My hope is, though, that if they have to have it as a Wii U exclusive, they should really MAKE it worthy of that status. Push the graphics to the limit, make sure it doesn't look at all possible on 360 and PS3 (that will be hard to do), and implement the gamepad in clever ways. Not just as a map or accessory selector. Not to say that the gamepad should overtake the game, but if Bayonetta U- er, 2 can play without using the gamepad at all, and you're not missing out on anything, then it'll just feel like a game that should be on the other consoles, but isn't. If that makes sense.

These demands are ridiculous.  You need to take a deep breath and realize that since this game started as a ps3/360 project, that is going to have some consequences.  I don't know how long it's been in development but any title not built from the ground up with the wiiu in mind is going to end up exactly as you've described above.  The gamepad will probably only display the map/inventory and the visuals are going to look like a 360/ps3 game or slightly better.  I'm not sure how you expect them to do otherwise without completely scrapping everything they have which is kookoo bonkers bananas.     

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2012, 01:08:22 pm »
How is it crazy? Do you have insight into the development that everybody else does not? Its not crazy to think that they might utilize the gamepad at a level beyond a map. Look at PGs other Wii U title.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2012, 02:13:28 pm »
How is it crazy? Do you have insight into the development that everybody else does not? Its not crazy to think that they might utilize the gamepad at a level beyond a map. Look at PGs other Wii U title.

yes, that has always been a wiiu game.  I'm just advising you to lower your expectations when it comes to something like this.  You're more or less coming up with more reasons to be pissed off in the future.  In all likelihood, the game WAS a ps3/360 title.  In all likelihood it will still resemble one.  Obviously I'm not developing the game but I'd like to think these are educated guesses.     

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2012, 02:32:06 pm »
Alright, thats fair.

I just think using words like "ridiculous" and "kookoo bonkers bananas" in reference to me speculating that the game could use the gamepad in various creative ways to justify it being a exclusive is unfair, as we have no idea what additions the game will have or how it will play. For all we know, they might have expanded the QTE elements to really utilize the gamepad or added attacks that allows players to chart a path on a gamepad through enemies on an overhead map or something.

I'd like to think PG are a very creative team, and if given the time they could really allow the sequel to take advantage of the Wii U hardware. I mean, it could be like you stated. THat the game shifted to the U very late in development. OR it could be that they started development very early with the U in mind OR they had intentions of releasing to multiple platforms and had Wii U specific features already implemented.

Aside from the trailer and PG's statements we know very little of the development of the game, and that includes whether Nintendo "saved" the franchise or not.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2012, 03:49:52 pm »
My hope is that this news is the beginning of a shift for Sega in general where most of their weird console exclusives end up on WiiU and all their multiplat have a PC version.

Then I can eliminate having to get a Ps4 or a 720 (dumb name) altogether. 

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2012, 05:18:57 pm »
Alright, thats fair.

I just think using words like "ridiculous" and "kookoo bonkers bananas" in reference to me speculating that the game could use the gamepad in various creative ways to justify it being a exclusive is unfair, as we have no idea what additions the game will have or how it will play. For all we know, they might have expanded the QTE elements to really utilize the gamepad or added attacks that allows players to chart a path on a gamepad through enemies on an overhead map or something.

I'd like to think PG are a very creative team, and if given the time they could really allow the sequel to take advantage of the Wii U hardware. I mean, it could be like you stated. THat the game shifted to the U very late in development. OR it could be that they started development very early with the U in mind OR they had intentions of releasing to multiple platforms and had Wii U specific features already implemented.

Aside from the trailer and PG's statements we know very little of the development of the game, and that includes whether Nintendo "saved" the franchise or not.

fair enough.  Let's call a truce.  I must apologize for my rudeness earlier as well. 

I'm actually less worried about Bayonetta as a franchise at this point and more alarmed at the path Sega has chosen for itself.  I didn't raise an eyebrow when the restructuring was announced but now that I'm seeing the results, I'm pretty worried.  I would not be surprised if they bowed out of the console gaming market (save for maybe sonic) in the future. 

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2012, 07:11:34 pm »
I'm actually less worried about Bayonetta as a franchise at this point and more alarmed at the path Sega has chosen for itself.  I didn't raise an eyebrow when the restructuring was announced but now that I'm seeing the results, I'm pretty worried.  I would not be surprised if they bowed out of the console gaming market (save for maybe sonic) in the future.

Not just SEGA. Japanese video game industry as a whole. The only publisher to not have any iOS games at TGS is Koei. Konami has around 15 (Only 2 console games) Namco has 13, Square has 9, SEGA has 8 and both Level 5 and Ark Systems has 5. Going to come crashing down like a pack of cards soon, much faster than the rest of the gaming industry.

Funny how mostly cheap and low budget gaming is going to kill Japanese publishers whilst mostly expensive and over priced gaming is going to kill Western publishers.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2012, 10:58:52 pm »
Sega will always do what it takes to survive.  I don't see them leaving console publishing behind in the next console cycle, but like I've said before I think the console cycle itself is coming to an end.  If they do move away from it it's because they're forward thinking, not because they are in trouble and disarray.

As for Bayonetta 2, I strongly suspect this deal happened recently and the game itself has never begun development and then been cancelled for the other consoles.  I'd be surprised if it comes out before 2014.