Author Topic: wake up project  (Read 30866 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: wake up project
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 02:44:18 pm »
I really think digital just infringes on people's nostalgia of owning a physical library of games, and the concept of having something to hold that represents "the game" is something that will take a very very long time for some people to shake off.

The idea of buying the right to play the game isn't enough for people, though like you pointed out, the physical materials like the case and disc cost very little. I think it's less about true value and more about sentimental value.

Because quite honestly, the argument that digital copies are more fragile than physical copies makes no sense as we've gone over again and again.

--

The way I see it, I'm a big fan of physically owning a game, but I totally get why titles like SEGA's recent digital offerings would be a waste of money, and possibly a loss of profit for SEGA, if released as disc copies. Like Hell Yeah, for example. How do they gauge how many to make? What if they press too many? What if the game is just too "small" (in terms of graphical power and gameplay time) to compete with larger more retail-friendly games?

I could easily see every one of the SEGA digital titles being in a bargian bin if they went straight to disc. The Dreamcast Collection comes to mind. I see tons of those at Gamespot in the clearance bins. They're just four digital titles on a disc. Didn't seem like a smart move for SEGA in the end.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 03:37:52 pm »
I crazily(?) went and bought it this year... I figured, the price is never getting any lower, and if I need to some day I can sell it for more than what I bought it for.  Hopefully I won't ever have to, but it is already going for more than what I paid.  But regarding backups for the Saturn, without getting into too much detail, it can be done, but it requires a modification than involves some soldering, so it's out of the question for most people.

There is some digital game service, I forget which one, that made a statement a couple years back that they have the rights to Panzer Dragoon Saga but they figured there isn't enough of an audience to bother making it available.  In situations like this, and other highly-sought-after titles, especially the disc based ones, I wonder why Sega doesn't do reissues.  It wouldn't hurt the value of the originals (not that they would particularly care about the collectors' market), and it would enable a lot of fans to get their hands on these games.

I'm fairly sure Sega lost the source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga, which is why it hasnt been reissued. .

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 11:37:28 pm »
I really think digital just infringes on people's nostalgia of owning a physical library of games, and the concept of having something to hold that represents "the game" is something that will take a very very long time for some people to shake off.

The idea of buying the right to play the game isn't enough for people, though like you pointed out, the physical materials like the case and disc cost very little. I think it's less about true value and more about sentimental value.

Because quite honestly, the argument that digital copies are more fragile than physical copies makes no sense as we've gone over again and again.

--

The way I see it, I'm a big fan of physically owning a game, but I totally get why titles like SEGA's recent digital offerings would be a waste of money, and possibly a loss of profit for SEGA, if released as disc copies. Like Hell Yeah, for example. How do they gauge how many to make? What if they press too many? What if the game is just too "small" (in terms of graphical power and gameplay time) to compete with larger more retail-friendly games?

I could easily see every one of the SEGA digital titles being in a bargian bin if they went straight to disc. The Dreamcast Collection comes to mind. I see tons of those at Gamespot in the clearance bins. They're just four digital titles on a disc. Didn't seem like a smart move for SEGA in the end.

its really a matter of opinion . and how you feel about it.

i never said that which you say is not truth for a fact. but for me it is not truth cause you have to own the game.. and to me it is just air.

this is the division of thoughts.

and just wait when steam gasses out. or simply deletes a game after years. we really need to read the policy. we never do cause we just do accept and play.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 08:49:03 am »
Well the other problem is that digital is making chunks of money and doing it quickly than a traditional game and with less R+D too. KINGDOM CONQUEST 2 went to the top of the charts, I think PS0 2 which is probably the more expensive of the three games i'm going to mention had a million users in its first month and SPIRAL KNIGHTS has got up to 3 million users as well. (SIGH) Less risk i suppose.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2012, 12:47:40 pm »
It is gratifying to see PSO2 sell so well, though.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2012, 04:39:35 pm »
I'm fairly sure Sega lost the source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga, which is why it hasnt been reissued. .

I've heard this rumor as well, but I don't think it's ever been officially confirmed.  It might have been Simon Jeffery who started this rumor with some offhand remark, just like when he stated that as far as he knew, Yu Suzuki wasn't working for Sega anymore (which at the time he was).  But regardless of whether or not it's true, they don't really need the source code, they just need to emulate it.  Obviously they have the source for Nights, so I personally don't really think any of the Saturn source codes have been lost... but I suppose we'll find out for sure some day.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2012, 05:59:20 pm »
The other issue is that Saturn emulation is supposedly a monumental pain in the ass because of it's dual processors and stuff.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2012, 05:52:35 pm »
The other issue is that Saturn emulation is supposedly a monumental pain in the ass because of it's dual processors and stuff.
I thought they were nine processors.
But yeah, it's a pain. And many of the Saturn's worthwhile games have arcade versions too.
SEG4GES

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2012, 09:49:42 pm »
I've heard this rumor as well, but I don't think it's ever been officially confirmed.  It might have been Simon Jeffery who started this rumor with some offhand remark, just like when he stated that as far as he knew, Yu Suzuki wasn't working for Sega anymore (which at the time he was).  But regardless of whether or not it's true, they don't really need the source code, they just need to emulate it.  Obviously they have the source for Nights, so I personally don't really think any of the Saturn source codes have been lost... but I suppose we'll find out for sure some day.

It was officially confirmed by Saga's team leader, Yukio Futatsugi.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 01:45:10 pm »
It was officially confirmed by Saga's team leader, Yukio Futatsugi.

i am not aware of this news im reading. disturbing tho knowing that they lost one of the best games sega ever made

kinda sloppy.

but somehow i dont believe it. .

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 03:10:57 pm »
Why would they lie? What would be their motive? What would they gain?

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2012, 11:22:34 am »
Why would they lie? What would be their motive? What would they gain?

its more of me. i cant believ that someone would do such a thing. especially panzer dragoon saga.

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2012, 06:36:08 pm »
Computers fail, bro. Shit happens. I highly doubt someone sat down and said, "You know what, fuck all that hard work in creating an incredible RPG. I'm gonna' delete it all." Seriously, I'm sure it was accident or a techincal hiccup.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2012, 06:49:54 pm »
Computers fail, bro. Shit happens. I highly doubt someone sat down and said, "You know what, fuck all that hard work in creating an incredible RPG. I'm gonna' delete it all." Seriously, I'm sure it was accident or a techincal hiccup.

or sabotage
SEG4GES

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2012, 06:54:49 pm »

or sabotage

Interesting. If that were the case, who would have done it? Maybe an ex-employee? Someone that got kicked from the project?