Author Topic: Passionate SEGA Discussion Topic for TA & ROJM and anyone else  (Read 42698 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: SEGA Discussion Topic for TA & ROJM
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2013, 02:36:59 pm »
Oh you can find them. Plenty of mags, negative, mixed positive

I'm not being funny but even most of the major mag's gave it decent reviews .
If one does a search we'll not doubt find a reviews of Aliens Marines getting a high score .

Most did give BD a lot of praise . It was the inept PR that let the side down with next to no Major PR push in the press and nothing on TV and for trying to launch and push a  brand new IP that's is utter pants .

Well of course it did it was on a bigger system but 120 000 copies isn't much in my book

Last time I looked at the figures it was more than 200,000 copies sold .

Unfortunately that's just the tip of the iceberg

It is , but its the same old problems . SEGA Japan either shipping games in a unfinished state and countless and seemingly endless studio restructuring and Team name changing .

Sega arcade titles that never saw the light of day on the Saturn that should have and output from the SOJ consumer teams, in house and second party

All the major Model 2 games were ported to the Saturn and not only did AM#1, AM#2 and AM#3 and dedicated consumer pipe lines in their Arcade Teams  SEGA also used various Arcade shows to show off its consumer titles ports like VO and VF II. 

Those days are long gone .

That wasn't even Trips point either

I was talking to trip about In-House SEGA Japan  titles .

SOJ didn't have a choice to but to look home

SEGA Japan  did to a point . They should have done what Capcom, Fromsoftware, Namco, Konami  and even the likes of Square done . And that was very early in to have most games go multi platform , looking to the west more and more for sales .

SEGA Japan was too internal looking and too late to really back the next gen consoles

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2013, 03:21:11 pm »
If one does a search we'll not doubt find a reviews of Aliens Marines getting a high score .

Most did give BD a lot of praise . It was the inept PR that let the side down with next to no Major PR push in the press and nothing on TV and for trying to launch and push a  brand new IP that's is utter pants .

I don't think BD was a critical bomb but an aggregate score this low

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/binary-domain/critic-reviews

is definitely not helping to move any units.  PR was definitely to blame, but so were the developers for making something that looked uninteresting and garnered unremarkable scores.  The game does flirt with greatness in its final act, but it takes a long time to get there and there are numerous issues dragging the experience down in general.  In this case, failure is a group effort. 

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2013, 07:47:56 pm »
The problem is that one of the pillars just crashed.
SEG4GES

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2013, 08:04:00 pm »
A release of Kenzan around the Valkyria Chronicles period (late 2008/sping 2009) would have been really good for the Franchise I think. Given how it's unrelated to previous games, and supposedly the best in the Franchise by Fans.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2013, 10:44:35 am »

Not the majority of the whole reviwer scene though.Its really in the middle overall.

But that isn't getting mixed reviews so not the same thing. Overall the score is negative. Overall BD had a mixed score. Nice try but no cigar.

Last time I looked at the figures it was more than 200,000 copies sold .

Nope it was 120 000 and less. It never reached 200 and i know that for a fact.They didn't bother to release it as part of their best sellers line, which DORORO and SHINOBI did because that sold to expectations. MARZ never did.

It is , but its the same old problems . SEGA Japan either shipping games in a unfinished state and countless and seemingly endless studio restructuring and Team name changing .
Like what exactly. What game did SOJ ship unfinished?

All the major Model 2 games were ported to the Saturn and not only did AM#1, AM#2 and AM#3 and dedicated consumer pipe lines in their Arcade Teams  SEGA also used various Arcade shows to show off its consumer titles ports like VO and VF II. 

Yawn that's like saying all the major capcom games got released. Well major titles aren't the majority, they're just well known. A lot of titles didn't make it on to saturn. And here's a hit not all of them were model 2 either.

Those days are long gone .
Like multi platform support. Its all digital, baby.

I was talking to trip about In-House SEGA Japan  titles .

But he wasn't. So you should listen to people more.

SEGA Japan  did to a point . They should have done what Capcom, Fromsoftware, Namco, Konami  and even the likes of Square done . And that was very early in to have most games go multi platform , looking to the west more and more for sales .

Apart from Sonic what SOJ title that's gone MP has done well? BINARY DOMAIN? Gimme a break. Sega has had all their big hits via exclusives to whatever platform it was tied to.

SEGA Japan was too internal looking and too late to really back the next gen consoles
Sega west wasn't though with the titles they managed to get into contract for development. Pity the main house didn't get it on quick enough.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2013, 01:18:35 am »
Not the majority of the whole reviwer scene though

Sure you'll always get the odd one, but in the main the game reviewed decently .

But that isn't getting mixed reviews so not the same thing.

Have look at what EGM and the Guardian have given the game ;) :P).

Nope it was 120 000 and less

Must have been Initial D then , sorry.

What game did SOJ ship unfinished

?
Sonic 06, PSU, Sonic Heroes , Sonic Unsealed, Nights II . Sonic 06 was a disgrace and happened under sammy 

Well major titles aren't the majority, they're just well known

You'll only port games which made money in the Arcade's you'll not port flops . And there was plenty of Arcade ports to the Saturn by SEGA, Capcom, Tatio and a host of other corps (most so shooter corps).

Its all digital, baby

Sadly we don't have the broadband infrastructure to handle that yet. Disc based games are still where its at and you can be the 360 II and PS4 will have a disc drive .  And most of the best selling consoles games have all be retail disc based games and also then to be multi platform ones too.

But he wasn't

I was .

Apart from Sonic what SOJ title that's gone MP has done well? BINARY DOMAIN? Gimme a brea

Bar Sonic what game does SEGA Japan have that sells over a million copies ? .
That's one if its major troubles and selling a brand new IP late in to a console life cycle is hard, never mind when you launch it with next to no PR support and TV push.

Sega west wasn't though with the titles they managed to get into contract for development

But SEGA Japan is where the bulk of the console staff work and the main people that made the games we loved . They should have been put to work on the 360 and PS3 much earlier

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2013, 10:08:47 am »
Sure you'll always get the odd one, but in the main the game reviewed decently .

Have look at what EGM and the Guardian have given the game ;) :P).

I know what the guardian has given the game. And its more than the odd review. There's enough lukewarm reviews out there to counter the positive reviews that the game got. Which is why overall it was in the middle.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/binary-domain

Loathed to use it but from all the collected scores from some magazines/sites its an overall middle average score. And from the stuff i've seen outside of that, its been from positive to average which meant it wouldn't change anything.

Must have been Initial D then , sorry.

A lot of Sega games on PS2 sold between the 100-200 000 mark. it was only VF4 and RGG that went beyond the 200 000 barrier.

Sonic 06, PSU, Sonic Heroes , Sonic Unsealed, Nights II . Sonic 06 was a disgrace and happened under sammy 
Did they? SONIC HEROES didn't happen under sammy since the buyout happened between 2003 and 2004. Which is when that game got released.  PSU was way into development before sammy got on the scene as well. Again sammy has left sega to do their own thing which is a good and bad thing. Its just the higher corp stuff that affects both companies that you should be worried.

You'll only port games which made money in the Arcade's you'll not port flops . And there was plenty of Arcade ports to the Saturn by SEGA, Capcom, Tatio and a host of other corps (most so shooter corps).

Come on, not every game sega ported needed to be a hit in the arcade, which they proved on porting certain titles on the MS and MD. And were talking about Sega not their third parties. If you were a fan of Capcom arcade titles or arcade games in general, you were well sorted. but Sega? forget it.The saturn is the least supported Sega game.

Sadly we don't have the broadband infrastructure to handle that yet. Disc based games are still where its at and you can be the 360 II and PS4 will have a disc drive .  And most of the best selling consoles games have all be retail disc based games and also then to be multi platform ones too.
Hey, dont tell me tell sega.

I was .
He wasn't. And he was the one making the point. Shouldn't you respond by addressing that point instead of going into another tangent?

Bar Sonic what game does SEGA Japan have that sells over a million copies ? .

Silly question since i never said SOJ sold over a million units. I said they have had more hits using the exclusive model than the multiplatform model which is a fact. And here's a hint, you dont need to sell over a million units to have a hit.

That's one if its major troubles and selling a brand new IP late in to a console life cycle is hard, never mind when you launch it with next to no PR support and TV push.

Hey, but the reviews should have helped it right? I wonder why it didn't. Oh i agree that the PR part was the sole reason thatt he game didn't sell over here in the west but i dont think they went about the title the correct way anyhow.

But SEGA Japan is where the bulk of the console staff work and the main people that made the games we loved . They should have been put to work on the 360 and PS3 much earlier

After the fiasco with the Xbox and the cancellations? I find it understandable why they weren't put to work on systems that was too expensive to develop for them at the time. They went the cheap route in order to bring back the profits which is what they're doing now with going full tilt into digital. Whether we agree with it is another thing entirely.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2013, 05:50:39 am »
Can you guys stop arguing? This thread is for games Sega is releasing in 2013.

Well when SEGA brings out something noteworthy I'll guess we'll talk about it .

Loathed to use it

Like I said in the main it decent reviews . It was SEGA inept PR that let the game down badly .

PSU was way into development before sammy got on the scene as well.

It doesn't matter . The game wasn't finished but was shipped out and Sonic 06 was a complete disgrace to be shipped . Sammy promised it would end and they would end the endless Team changes , yet SEGA under sammy had like 2 to 3 Team name changes and restructuring. So much so that even SEGA die Hard fans find it hard to know what Team does what and what the Team is called these days .

but Sega? forget it.The saturn is the least supported Sega game.

VF, VF II, Last Bronx, Out Run, Space Harrier, VC , VC II, Winter Heat, Decathlete, Die Hard Arcade, Power Drift, Golden Axe Duel, V, Rad Rally/Gale Racer, Sega Rally, All Japan Pro , Baku Baku, Daytona USA , Manx TT, House of the Dead , Sky Target , Virtual On , Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx , Sega Touring Car, After Burner II, Galaxy Force II

There's more but that's off the top my head .

Hey, dont tell me tell sega

I think SEGA knows where is why they still support Disc based games for the home consoles .

He wasn't.

But he was responding to my post and I was on about SEGA Japan.

but the reviews should have helped it right?

Did it really help the likes of Vanquished ? I'm not so sure how much impact having Mega reviews does this days for new IP  tbh mate

Silly question since i never said SOJ sold over a million units.

And that's their trouble  in the age of High Def Big games you need more million sellers

After the fiasco with the Xbox and the cancellations?

Yeah but this gen it was different and backing the West and MS more was the way forward

I love to know why we aren't right now playing PSO II on the 360 and PS3 , never mind waiting to play the PC version . To me PSO II would be a million seller easy on the PS3 and 360

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2013, 09:02:32 am »
Well when SEGA brings out something noteworthy I'll guess we'll talk about it .

You tell 'em. Anyway part of the discussion were having has involved their next titles and what they should do for the next systems so its on topic.
Like I said in the main it decent reviews . It was SEGA inept PR that let the game down badly .
Haven't disputed you about the PR, no need to keep repeating it. The scores is another thing but there's no point since were not going to agree.
It doesn't matter . The game wasn't finished but was shipped out and Sonic 06 was a complete disgrace to be shipped . Sammy promised it would end and they would end the endless Team changes , yet SEGA under sammy had like 2 to 3 Team name changes and restructuring. So much so that even SEGA die Hard fans find it hard to know what Team does what and what the Team is called these days .
Well it does matter. you can't blame the outcome of SONIC HEROES and the like before the company has had any time to make any real influence on them. If anything the problem is that sammy has left sega to their own devices and its pretty much carried on in the same disastrous fashion as it was before. SONIC 2006 was Naka's fault in my humble opinion.  Maybe things should be run better but i think sammy has helped sega along the way as well as hinder  it.

VF, VF II, Last Bronx, Out Run, Space Harrier, VC , VC II, Winter Heat, Decathlete, Die Hard Arcade, Power Drift, Golden Axe Duel, V, Rad Rally/Gale Racer, Sega Rally, All Japan Pro , Baku Baku, Daytona USA , Manx TT, House of the Dead , Sky Target , Virtual On , Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx , Sega Touring Car, After Burner II, Galaxy Force II

There's more but that's off the top my head .

And your point is what? ORUN SPACE HARRIER GALAXY FORCE 2  AB2 was also on the MD and every other Sega system and add on prior to Saturn. VF VF2, DAYTONA USA, VC VC2,DIE HARD ARCADE HOTD, VO were the major titles that was always going to be put on the saturn. WINTER HEAT and DEC was pulled into strentghen the defunct Sega sports line. But again that's not even a fraction of what Sega had in the arcades at that  point. Games that they needed to really pull the fight against sony. in japan it worked for a while because they had popular arcade titles and good SOJ inhouse titles that appealed to the japanese. Over here they just had the arcade games that were quickly being over shadowered and no real in house support on games that they needed to entice the americans/europeans into the mix. Like i said not the strongest supported Sega system compared to its predecessors and inheritor.

I think SEGA knows where is why they still support Disc based games for the home consoles .

Well considering they're knee dip in digital it seems not. I can accept it if they were going to just digital distrubute AAA to AA titles instead on releasing them on disc but were not even getting that. Were getting stinking mobage/mobile games or diugital titles made for handhelds. i mean were not even going to get a proper RGG title for the PS4 and how many of us are going to splash out the moolah just to get that? You? Me? I wouldn't pay for a brand new games system from Sony because i don't want my cash going towards a dirty competitor like Sony. its worse for me because i'm only interested in playing the sega titles and not anything else and no one yet knows if sega is really going to strongly support the next systems properly. Judging from this current generation, maybe not.

But he was responding to my post and I was on about SEGA Japan.
Like i said your and his argument not mine.
Did it really help the likes of Vanquished ? I'm not so sure how much impact having Mega reviews does this days for new IP  tbh mate

VANQUISH is funny because its actually considered to be succesful from how much it sold. The puzzle is that the evidence isn't seen in the retail charts. i would have to check again but the ammount of units it shifted was way before any price drop was put into circulation. So maybe it did help.

And that's their trouble  in the age of High Def Big games you need more million sellers

That really depends on the games budget. Sega doesn't spend millions and millions and millions on a game budget anyway. A game is considered workable for them even if it breaks even but then that may have some trouble in continuing where they would have wanted. VALKYRIA is a good example of that but they went the cheap route with the follow ups while not making much income on the engine investment. While RGG did go according to plan and they cashed in on the engine that they invested in. BD is the example of not even breaking even and flopping worldwide. So not only will they not have made profit on the game but the engine wont be able to crawl any more investment unless they use it for another game. much like what happened with SHENMUE 2.

Yeah but this gen it was different and backing the West and MS more was the way forward

Yes but  its still part of the same behaviour that surfaced during the previous gen. All SOJ did was pass the buck instead of doing it themselves. The proper SOJ use to sell their arcade ports and made home console games that appealed to everyone. Which was then complimented by the western made games from their subsidaries and second party support from japan. This happened for the Genesis which is the perfect example of this while the DC and MS also has this example, while the Saturn and some of the add ons didn't. Its no coincidence that among many sega fans it is the MS MD and DC that are fondly remebered in the west because each of these systems had that balance. This current gen we have only started to get a few arcade ports and no real SOJ support outside Sonic and RGG that hardly gets localised properly. Everything else is on digital/mobile or hand held.

This is what sega did before. They started to concentrate on the handhelds rather than on the bigger systems and while they made some profits they completly ducked the problem involving the bigger system development. This gen the same thing has occured but on a larger scale. Big systems not working out? turn to the handheld and digital mobile to maximise profit. Now the difference is that this side of things is going to take precedent than it did before.

I love to know why we aren't right now playing PSO II on the 360 and PS3 , never mind waiting to play the PC version . To me PSO II would be a million seller easy on the PS3 and 360

Maybe to do with licensing issues, the way they are doing it now Sega makes the money on using it on systems where they dont have to pay much of a sever or third party fee.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:25:14 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2013, 09:56:22 am »
you can't blame the outcome of SONIC HEROES and the like before the company has had any time to make any real influence on them

Sonic 06 you can and how many Team changes have we had under Sammy ? Do you even know what Team does what or what they are all called these days , with out looking at Sammy year reports .

And your point is what?
Arcade ports,quite a lot of them stunning ports and no the likes of Decathlete weren't pulled in help SEGA Sports but were ST-V ports and made with an eye to the then Atlanta Olympic games . In those days like with the DC the AM# Teams were really focued not just on the Arcade but also the home and had lines devoted to consoles

Well considering they're knee dip in digital it seems not.

All the major games still come on disc - that is not going to change any time soon.

i mean were not even going to get a proper RGG title for the PS4i mean were not even going to get a proper RGG title for the PS4

I bet we will . Though I wish the team would move on and do something new and make a new IP

Sega doesn't spend millions and millions and millions on a game budget anyway.

The Yakuza games cost a bomb to make, SEGA spends millions on each Sonic  I bet PSO II cost a ton to make and one look at the polish on Binary Domain tells me that was a multi million production . SEGA needs a bit more game with the polish and care that the likes of BD and PSO II had lavished on them.

Maybe to do with licensing issues

No idea why , but just going on the Beta  The game is just increasable it feels, looks, sounds and plays like a SEGA game. Its stunning and yet 360,PS3 users are left out , when we should all be playing it right now on our consoles (360 and PS3)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2013, 11:31:21 am »
Sonic 06 you can and how many Team changes have we had under Sammy ?

No i blame Naka for that concerning Sonic. The team changes is all to do with Sega not sammy.
Do you even know what Team does what or what they are all called these days , with out looking at Sammy year reports .

I do actually. But that isn't sammy's fault and i dont recall them saying they would stop that either. The whole team re organising and consilidation was happening way before Sammy came onto the scene.
Arcade ports,quite a lot of them stunning ports and no the likes of Decathlete weren't pulled in help SEGA Sports but were ST-V ports and made with an eye to the then Atlanta Olympic games . In those days like with the DC the AM# Teams were really focued not just on the Arcade but also the home and had lines devoted to consoles
VF was hardly stunning it was a shoddy port. And the sports games? They were that was the point in porting the sports games. And like i said there were way more arcade games that they could have ported but didn't. The home side was really lacking. Compard to diferent sega eras.
All the  major games still come on disc - that is not going to change any time soon.

But Sega isn't supporting that fact. We just have to look at what's coming this year to see that.
I bet we will . Though I wish the team would move on and do something new and make a new IP

I doubt the first RGG game will be a sequel to five. But we shall see.
The Yakuza games cost a bomb to make, SEGA spends millions on each Sonic  I bet PSO II cost a ton to make and one look at the polish on Binary Domain tells me that was a multi million production . SEGA needs a bit more game with the polish and care that the likes of BD and PSO II had lavished on them.

Compared to how much money that their competitors pour in to create games, Sega's game budgets are on the cheaper end of the scale. RGG was around 20 million the third game also came close to that budget as well. BD was around that number and VALKYRIA was 15-16 million. So they are not pouring in millions and millions and millions on game titles considering they dont make that many big AAA projects.
No idea why , but just going on the Beta  The game is just increasable it feels, looks, sounds and plays like a SEGA game. Its stunning and yet 360,PS3 users are left out , when we should all be playing it right now on our consoles (360 and PS3)
Who knows, they're making a killing on the platforms already out there, on the main systems they probably would have to give a larger cut.

Your fucking argument is pointless. Fuck.

I'm so sick of people arguing about Sega. Jesus Christmas.

Can a moderator here make a forum topic with an actual list of upcoming Sega games in 2013 and release dates?

Even better, a frequently updated list on the main page. One without the inclusion vaporware and bullshit rumors. Just the facts.
That's a grown up response to something you don't like. Keep it up.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2013, 12:44:04 pm »
No i blame Naka for that concerning Sonic
Naka had long started to make his move away  . One needs to blame the PS2 Shinobi producer for the mess that was the game and Sammy needs to take the flack for letting the game ship and forcing the game out for the 15th anniversary

But that isn't sammy's fault and i dont recall them saying they would stop that either.
It should be and in April 2004 Hajime Satomi did a Interview where he said, he'll stop the team changes and bring all the Studios back into SEGA and all under 'one group' as that was part of SEGA trouble and how they were losing focus after all the Teams spliting and having their own Team names and identies
That lasted about a year
VF was hardly stunning it was a shoddy port

It was a brilliant port,but rushed out (a SEGA trademark for early software) soon it was to be improved with Remix which looked way better than the Arcade Model 1 version.

And like i said there were way more arcade games that they could have ported but didn't.
One could say that about every SEGA system ever made. The Saturn enjoyed some of the best SEGA ports of Arcade around, all the more impressive given the massive gulf in spec's between Model 2 and Saturn.
But Sega isn't supporting that fact
Yakuza 5 shipped on disc, The new Sonic you can bet will ship on disc and so will most of SEGA new games on non hand held consoles .

Compared to how much money that their competitors pour in to create games
The size of the Team needed to make Yakuza games is massive and then there's the detail and resaerch that needed for their games , Its a massive and huge production and you can bet more expensive than most Capcom or FromSoftware productions and Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Gen had massive ammounts of money lavished on them

Who knows, they're making a killing on the platforms already out there

And yet PSO has always sold better on the consoles . SEGA could be making more of a killing

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

Re: Passionate SEGA Discussion Topic for TA & ROJM and anyone else
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2013, 05:49:31 am »
Naka had long started to make his move away  . One needs to blame the PS2 Shinobi producer for the mess that was the game and Sammy needs to take the flack for letting the game ship and forcing the game out for the 15th anniversary

Nope it was naka's fault. The long decline of Sonic happened under Naka's watch and that includes 2006. I'm not going to blame other individuals trying to salvage the mess that naka shouldn't have let happen. And sega had been doing anniversary tie ins for some time now so i can't see how they would rush such an important game in order to tie in with the aniversary as they would have known more in advance.

It should be and in April 2004 Hajime Satomi did a Interview where he said, he'll stop the team changes and bring all the Studios back into SEGA and all under 'one group' as that was part of SEGA trouble and how they were losing focus after all the Teams spliting and having their own Team names and identies
That lasted about a year

He never said that. here's what he said.

Sammy will also have a greater share of the holding company's management. Satomi will be chairman and president, with Sega president Hisao Oguchi as vice chairman. Sammy representatives will hold three of the company's five directorships, including both executive directorships. "Unfortunately, Sega has been in the red for nearly 10 years," said Satomi, explaining the decision to lessen the power of Sega's directors. "It would tighten things up if the members that had directing position and representative rights took responsibility."

The closer alliance between Sega and Sammy "will create a truly integrated and powerful entertainment company," Satomi said. A chart of the relative sales and market capitalization of Japan's biggest game publishers and amusement companies put Sega Sammy Holdings in second place, well ahead of Konami and just behind Nintendo. Satomi claimed that it will be able to "catch up and surpass Nintendo as the number-one company" over the course of its upcoming three-year reorganization.

Sega and Sammy will both continue to trade under their existing names, logos, and brands. However, the holding company -- staffed by some 50 employees, working with a budget of 10 billion yen -- will oversee the general direction and management of both. In Satomi's words, Sega Sammy holdings will "focus on planning and administration, delegating explicit authorities and responsibilities to subsidiaries, in order to achieve the optimization of group management."

As a more concrete example of cooperation and coordination between the two companies, Satomi pointed to their recent use of the Hokuto no Ken license. Sammy produced a pachinko machine based on the popular action comic series last year, which became a surprise hit. Sega was able to capitalize on its popularity by producing a related arcade game and distribute Sammy's console conversion of the pachislot game, allowing the two companies to build on each other's success.

Over the next three years, however, that collaboration looks to substantially change the structure of the two companies, especially with regard to their console and arcade game business. In the arcade arena, the two companies plan to work together to increase their market presence and earnings, building and operating more and larger arcade locations in Japan and elsewhere. Meanwhile, in the console realm, Sega Sammy Holdings plans a thorough review of the "domestic and overseas R&D framework of both companies," with an eye towards restructuring their development efforts in search of immediate profitability.

"We expect to reorganize Sega, Sammy and other subsidiaries into business segments," said Satomi, "so we can effectively allocate management resources such as employees, goods, capital, and intelligence, and improve management efficiency." Those business segments, as shown below, will cover the development and production of pachinko and slot machines (Sammy's core business), arcade and consumer game software (integrating both Sega and Sammy's efforts in that area), and the adaptation of those products in other media (such as Sega's toy business and the exploitation of its character franchises).

The first step in that reorganization will be the integration of Sammy's arcade and home videogame business into Sega, in both Japan and North America. Sega will distribute Sammy's Atomiswave arcade hardware and games under its own brand worldwide. It's not yet clear how this may affect Sammy's fledgling North American publishing operation, but given the example of the Square Enix merger (which resulted in the dissolution of Enix America), it looks as if Sammy Studios might not be long for this world.

More interesting is what may happen to Sega's once-fragmented internal software development studios. As announced last month, Sega's seven development subsidiaries -- Hitmaker, Sega Wow, Sonic Team, Sega-AM2, Digitalrex, Amusement Vision, and Smilebit -- have been reintegrated into Sega. However, it's not certain how that change will affect their day-to-day operations.

Satomi commented briefly on the larger picture of the reintegration. "I feel that Sega has high individual capabilities, but it's too separated into different subsidiaries", he explained. "Sega wasn't able to create an overall corporate strategy or uniformity because of that, which is a major reason behind the company's stagnation. Oguchi himself has been feeling the same way. It's about time that we returned back to the old Sega." Given that Sega's teams have existed as they are for years, however, and are all at work on existing projects, it seems likely that they won't be shaken up too significantly in the short term.
If anything it suggests there would be more re organisation if needed, which did happen. But that was more Sega's doing in the last couple of years.And that article is from june 2004.

It was a brilliant port,but rushed out (a SEGA trademark for early software) soon it was to be improved with Remix which looked way better than the Arcade Model 1 version.
It was a horrible port and buggy to boot. I know you love the saturn but let's not rewrite history or in your case, reality.

One could say that about every SEGA system ever made. The Saturn enjoyed some of the best SEGA ports of Arcade around, all the more impressive given the massive gulf in spec's between Model 2 and Saturn.

That's because the saturn was the most powerful sega system at that time, of course it could handle the ports. But the ports and SOJ consumer support was higher with the MS and MD as well as the DC afterwards.
Yakuza 5 shipped on disc, The new Sonic you can bet will ship on disc and so will most of SEGA new games on non hand held consoles
No TA, most of the new titles are being released digitally. YAKUZA /RGG 5 doesn't count because that was one of the key titles untouched/unaffacted by Sega's shift towards digital. Also it came out last year. Its not like you dont know this as you were complaining about it back when they confirmed the news officially.
The size of the Team needed to make Yakuza games is massive and then there's the detail and resaerch that needed for their games , Its a massive and huge production and you can bet more expensive than most Capcom or FromSoftware productions and Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Gen had massive ammounts of money lavished on them

Really? Compared to EA and 2K and Rockstar and others of that ilk? RGG doesn't go anywhere near the budget that those companies have used for their titles.
And yet PSO has always sold better on the consoles . SEGA could be making more of a killing

are you having a laugh? PSTRPORTABLE was the most succesful in that series outselling PSU and PSO console versions altogether. And that was just the first one. And PS02 is doing way much better than PS0 did when it was released on other game systems. So i 'd advise you check your figures again.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 05:54:52 am by ROJM »

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2013, 12:49:09 pm »
guys guys guys

to put up the hamas (means) that which the essence of the heart longs for..

that i love sega so much. males me happy and sad. being a fighter and a skater.
c class muay thai fighter
above average almost pro skater

but i remain a geek when about sega. i just hate the others
it is the hamas of me. i love sega. and i hate what she does sometimes.
it is my secret prayer.

i never talk about sega at work.
i never really show it of
afraid being called a dork
but i play non stop
even when i dont feel like
out of boredom and love

sega  my first the master system together with alex kidd in miracle world
and then later on my dad bought
cyber shinobi and aztec adventure. i was so happy i ran to the tv to plug the antenna in the tv. i was so rushed that the tv felt out of enthousiasm.

im sorry dad lol
it really happened. but i was the only one having sms
in the md era i was not alone no mo

but now i am alone again in this bunker with u guys
thx segabits

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2013, 03:44:48 am »
The long decline of Sonic happened under Naka's watch and that includes 2006

Naka had long started his plans to leave the SEGA and ST before long before the game shipped . When the Sonic 06 was 1st shown off at E3 the game looked great and showed stunning tech. Sadly  SEGA had 2 Team working on totally different parts of the game and the producer all hoping their would magically merge together with no issues  and that's where the game fell apart :(.

Sadly he failed to a get grip of the games budget and Team size and that's what good Producers do .

He never said that. here's what he said

He's just one of his interviews with the likes of EDGE.

And it was the only time he talked of the constant team changes at SEGA. And under Sammy how many Team changes have we had , how many Teams have their own separate names ?.

It was a horrible port and buggy to boot.

It played and moved exactly liked the Arcade and sounded way better too (not just music but Sound effects) Sure clipping was a issue but that was cleaned up for the Pal versions and Remix had no issues what so ever .  The way you talk its like Sonic Adv had no issues and no clipping or bugs  with being rushed out, same for VF 3 and Rally II on the DC or the MD had a ace launch in Japan never mind the Thunder Blade had trouble out doing the PC Eng version . SEGA had a history on all it's consoles of rushing software out on its consoles.

But the ports and SOJ consumer support was higher with the MS and MD as well as the DC afterwards.

A lot of the  MD ports they weren't even handle In-House  . With the Saturn SEGA's AM Team got involved with porting the games themselves and going all out trying to perfectly emu the coin up gameplay and that was carried through with the DC.

YAKUZA /RGG 5 doesn't count because that was one of the key titles

Yep Key tiles like this and Sonic will always be disc based on the consoles . And I put to you that any big major PS3, 360 production by SEGA will come out on disc .

Really? Compared to EA and 2K and Rockstar and others of that ilk

2K and Rockstar are the same and if you want to compare westerns studios then fine, I'm comparing like for like and that's Japanese studios to Japanese studios
Yes when you have a team of over 200 people working on a single game - its going to cost you millions and millions and Yakuza games are some of the biggest productions in Japan, they're a Monmouth task  given the am mount of content that goes into each game .
SEGA also spends a fortune on each Sonic and PSO II would have cost millions to make and up there (most prob more) than what Capcom paid for Lost Planet development .

PSTRPORTABLE was the most succesful in that series outselling PSU and PSO console versions altogether.

PSP can be classed a console . Its not a laptop or netbook . Consoles are where PSU gets its best sales in Japan that mean the handhelds in the West it will mean the 360 and PS3 and that's we should all be playing them right now on either the Vita or 360 and PS3.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is