Author Topic: Golden Axe Beast Rider....  (Read 9190 times)

Offline ptpattycakes

• Total Meseta: 0
Golden Axe Beast Rider....
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:42:01 am »
     So, i've been catching up on some older Sega games from this generation that I never really got a chance to invest my time in.  Now this game has been sitting in my Sega area on my bookshelf for a few years now, and for whatever reason I never started it lol!  I was looking up reviews before I started playing and heard nothing but horrible things about it. 

So I started to play it expecting something horrible but to my surprise i'm actually enjoying this game quite a bit.  So I was just curious am I the only person on the planet who likes this game?  I mean it has its bugs, but there are alot of cool nods to the original Golden Axe series and I think the game has a pretty nice flow to it...... Just my thoughts  ;)

Offline Kevin-N

• Total Meseta: 2
Re: Golden Axe Beast Rider....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 01:22:59 pm »
     So, i've been catching up on some older Sega games from this generation that I never really got a chance to invest my time in.  Now this game has been sitting in my Sega area on my bookshelf for a few years now, and for whatever reason I never started it lol!  I was looking up reviews before I started playing and heard nothing but horrible things about it. 

So I started to play it expecting something horrible but to my surprise i'm actually enjoying this game quite a bit.  So I was just curious am I the only person on the planet who likes this game?  I mean it has its bugs, but there are alot of cool nods to the original Golden Axe series and I think the game has a pretty nice flow to it...... Just my thoughts  ;)

Actually, i also enjoyed the game. So you are not alone  ;)
SEGA fan 4 life !

Offline ptpattycakes

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:46:33 pm »
Feels good knowing i'm not alone!!  ;D ;D

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 01:49:06 pm »
There are a few Beast Rider fans here. Also, I've found that Viking: Battle for Asgard is a title that a lot of SEGAbits community members enjoy.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 03:22:52 pm »
I really liked Golden Axe Beast Rider.  I got most of the achievements, but there's too much grinding to get the Golden Axe, so I gave up.  I think people treat it unfairly.  It has problems, like you have to think about the controls all the time, because they aren't natural, and the screen tears a little.  Otherwise, I enjoyed it.  It's not as bad as Iron Man, which I think probably sold a lot more.

Offline ptpattycakes

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:53:01 am »
There are a few Beast Rider fans here. Also, I've found that Viking: Battle for Asgard is a title that a lot of SEGAbits community members enjoy.

I have yet to play Viking. I used to see it all the time marked down so, ill just check Amazon after i'm done with Beast Rider and give it a shot!  ;)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 02:55:05 pm »
Viking is a very fun hack & slash open world adventure game with a lot of cool ideas. Like when you free your comrades, they assist you in battle. It really is a solid game, the only real complaints lodged against it are that it can be repetitive, the story is minimal and that compared to later open world games it isn't as immersive. But it's still fun, and the price its currently at is well worth it to play the game until it stops being fun for you. Who knows, you might play all the way through?

Sort of reminds me of Just Cause 2 in that regard. A lot of fun, but not very immersive when it comes to story and the complaint of repetition can be lodged against it. Yet it is still a great pick up and play whenever you want sort of title.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 06:13:38 pm »
Count me in as the rebel-without-a-cause/battered-housewife role model when it comes to Golden Axe: Beast Rider.
I can understand much of the criticism directed towards this game, from somewhat unimpressive graphics to the difficulty. Specially the difficulty, it's not an easy game, it's just not. I've tried completing the arena challenges on Expert Mode and found them to be considerably tricky.

The game decided to forgo a block and instead, use a parry and dodge mechanic that didn't feel as smooth as I thought.

It's a shame, because Secret Level originally wanted to make a huge open world RPG with a re-imagined Golden Axe universe, but as time went on, they slimmed it down to what was essentially your run-of-the-mill hack & slash game. Lookin' back now, it's not as bad as many critics made it out to be, but when you compare it to other titles like Viking and Bayonetta, it's kinda dissapointing.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 11:28:22 am »
Always wanted to give this game a shot, but never got around to purchasing it. There are a few Sega games that i've missed out on this gen and last.

One of the games that i was most curious about was Toe Jam & Earl III for the original Xbox, anyone play it?
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 05:56:52 am »

thats because i guess that viking somehow gives a link to golden axe. that viking thing. maybe perhaps that viking game could v been calles golden axe.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 06:00:19 am »
Always wanted to give this game a shot, but never got around to purchasing it. There are a few Sega games that i've missed out on this gen and last.

One of the games that i was most curious about was Toe Jam & Earl III for the original Xbox, anyone play it?

let me just tell u tat when u play the game. dont compare. but the graphics are totally awesome and still respectable. the character is sexy and u love to look at her when u play the game. 
it actually really gives the sor golden axe mD feeling. yet at the same time it adapts the current era with a beautifull third person view with a far distance rate.

the beast you jump on and the weapons u get by time make it worth a while. and u will always be surprised when u have a new weapon. its hack n slash tho. but it has a different taste.
the game is really good. and strangely even tho when u see websites giving it a 6 out of 10
bt when u look at gamer reviews u see 9 or 10 out of 10

wanna know why

Play the game and ull know ;)

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 06:01:36 am »
Count me in as the rebel-without-a-cause/battered-housewife role model when it comes to Golden Axe: Beast Rider.
I can understand much of the criticism directed towards this game, from somewhat unimpressive graphics to the difficulty. Specially the difficulty, it's not an easy game, it's just not. I've tried completing the arena challenges on Expert Mode and found them to be considerably tricky.

The game decided to forgo a block and instead, use a parry and dodge mechanic that didn't feel as smooth as I thought.

It's a shame, because Secret Level originally wanted to make a huge open world RPG with a re-imagined Golden Axe universe, but as time went on, they slimmed it down to what was essentially your run-of-the-mill hack & slash game. Lookin' back now, it's not as bad as many critics made it out to be, but when you compare it to other titles like Viking and Bayonetta, it's kinda dissapointing.

with all respect i feel completely the opposite.
its certainly a good game. and if tricky? trickier then that aliens game for real;)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:57:41 am »
The truth be told some games aren't as bad as time goes on, while games you thought were good seem to be not so good. GABR is good for some solid game playing time.
Yes, the company wasn't given enough time by Simon Jeffry and Sega, the same sort of fate that IRON MAN faced. Potential good ideas but never fully realized or evolved properly because of the time constraints put on them.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 12:38:23 am »
does anyone know who this golden axe woman is? is she completely fictional? or did someone really show up to make this character like sonya blade of mortal kombat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9LV9Diupxw