Author Topic: The uninformed people at NeoGAF...  (Read 13231 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
The uninformed people at NeoGAF...
« on: March 25, 2013, 03:03:26 am »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528816

once again there is topic on NeoGAF on how and why SEGA has gone downhill...

Now some responses are correct and some are defending them...yet when trying to get to the deep core of it some of it get it rather wrong. Like this user:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51345084&postcount=158

Now his history from how SEGA has reshuffled and what titles they make recently, comes of the rather hap-hazardly made Wikipedia page of it. (stuff like WOW having something to do with Valkyria Chronicles, and them making Rise of Nightmares...)

Now...what most in that Thread forget, is the large amount of Arcade titles they still have made since the merger, and just because WOW, AM2 and Hitmaker aren't credited anymore, doesn't mean they aren't making games anymore. It's rather wierd how many people in that Thread are rather are adamant in discussing all of the SEGA stuff, with long winded discussions with long essays, yet most don't realize the Lindbergh and Ringedge libary of titles. And then think all they make is Sonic and Yakuza (and also Valykria, but that's dead to them, and Overworks too also since the last game was 2 years ago...) Then they throw down the argument that "talent left"...without realizing "what" talent. They also didn't part way forced like they seem to think. Suzuki had a chance to still work on Arcade games, and Sega promoted Naka's prope pretty well. However they just didn't take the chance, and wanted to work on mobile. They also think Yasuhara was a vital part of overall Sega's output, even tough he was only involved in Sonic, and that only since 1994.

They also go on how Nintendo will buy Sega, because then like...the talent will magically come back, and they will be awesome again. Not realizing that their Arcade teams and Console teams are seperate businesses, it's way too bloated.

Now...just something I wanna get out there, since they are a rather large forum.

I bet Aki-at would have a field day there...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:09:50 am by Trippled »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: The uninformed people at NeoGAF...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:23:01 am »
I am seething in anger.

SEETHING I SAY!

Seriously though, I am surprised how often people want to forget how much of a strong hand SEGA has in the PC market and the investment they have put into it.

- Sports Interactive continues to grow, the latest version of Football Manager being the best selling in the series too.
- When SEGA purchased the Creative Assembly, they were one team. Now they house four development teams (Total War, Alien, Warhammer and mobile games studio)
- Spiral Knight's Three Rings developer acquired last year and that title continues to do well (Although not one of the raging success stories as the former two, I'd admit)
- Finally we come across Relic which is a fantastic investment.

Now you couple this with their ever increasing stake in mobile gaming (Sonic Jump over 8 million downloads, Football Manager 2013 sold over 500,000 units, Dragon Coins did over 500,000 downloads, Kingdom Conquest over 3 million etc) SEGA has a strong foot in both markets which are growing faster than the console space (Sad to admit this when it comes to the mobile market... But still think that has it's own massive dangers) I just do not see the likelihood of Sammy selling SEGA. The whole point the merger with SEGA occurred was due to a need from Sammy's side to diversify their business. If Pachinko's stop selling, what are they going to rely on?

And look, people often overlook this, but Hajime Satomi's (SEGA Sammy's majority shareholder and founder of Sammy) son was Vice President of SEGA America's Digital Business arm and soon SEGA solidified their presence in the digital space. Now Haruki Satomi is president of SEGA Networks which houses 211 employees (Notable ones being Ueda and Kikuchi, though I can see Ueda splintering off much like a few of Sonic Team's people move in and out of the Ryu Ga Gotoku team) why shift the heir to the throne in a business you are planning to sell off? A note to be made, Satomi Jr has been associated with SEGA since 2005 to current.

And you are quite right to point out to people SEGA's arcade games, titles like Border Break and Shining Force Cross are easily identified by AM2, but what about Sangoku Taisen? Hatune Miku? SEGA's Euro Championship Football game? Their baseball title? There are just so many to list that do not have a developer (And hard to find out unless we get English credits) then we get into the confusing grey area when their arcade teams develop console titles (Virtua Tennis 4 and Project Marai) then we have their animation studio like Marza which should be finishing Harlock later this year.

PS. I never pay much attention to the stock prices, but SEGA Sammy has just hit a 5 year high. But BUT THEY IZ DOOMZZZZZZ etc etc
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:25:45 am by Aki-at »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:37:51 am »
Is this you Trippled? Sounds like you!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51415968&postcount=257

If so...

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:54:07 am »
And yet here we are with barely any games announced for 2013. 

What is there?  Yakuza 5?  Company of Heroes 2 now I guess.  I suppose there's also that mystery main series Sonic game entry.  Still, things look pretty goddamn bare. 

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:59:37 am »
There have to be more heritage titles to be announced very soon. Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia are my guesses. We also have some digital Sonic titles. Stuff will be announced, patience.

Don't be like Aki, he flips out and takes things too seriously.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:58 am »
Is this you Trippled? Sounds like you!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51415968&postcount=257

If so...

wierdly enough,

I suddenly got my account activated after a 2 months wait

I guess this Thread has no purpose now, kinda feel embarassed about it now actually :P

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »
Trippled! You're that guy in /v/ I replied to?
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 01:39:47 pm »
And yet here we are with barely any games announced for 2013. 

What is there?  Yakuza 5?  Company of Heroes 2 now I guess.  I suppose there's also that mystery main series Sonic game entry.  Still, things look pretty goddamn bare. 

From my reckoning, this is what SEGA Japan has this year;

- Phantasy Star Online 2 Vita (PSVita)
- Shining Ark (PSP)
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (PS3)
- 7th Dragon 2020-ii (PSP)
- Mystery 28/03 title (PS3/PSVita)
- Space Harrier 3D (3DS)
- Chaos Online (PC)
- Code of Joker (Arcade)
- Shining Force Cross Elysion (Arcade)
- Border Break Ver C 3.0 (Arcade)
- SEGA Card Gen MLB 2013 (Arcade)
- MaiMai (Arcade)
- Starhorse 3: Blaze of Glory (Arcade)
- Starboat (Arcade)
- MJ5 Evolution (Arcade)

And a few other arcade and digital titles.

SEGA Europe/America release schedule has been;

- The Cave (PS3/360/PC)
- Anarchy Reigns (PS3/360)
- Aliens: Colonial Marines (360/PS3/PC)
- Phantasy Star Online 2 (PC)
- Company of Heroes 2 (PC)
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (I assume after the massive feedback SEGA received, that's lock on for release) (Arcade/PS3)
- Football Manager 2014 (PC)
- Rome II Total War (PC)

Excluding titles that either seem unlikely (7th Dragon) unconfirmed (Yakuza 5) or any mobile titles (Of which there are many)

Don't be like Aki, he flips out and takes things too seriously.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 02:09:07 pm »
My knowledge of Sega's console history is super limited, but outside of digital titles Sega isn't currently an exciting publisher for Western console gamers - an audience I consider myself a part of. Most of us realize that there's what looks like a lengthy list of games that Sega is publishing/developing, and that ideally they still have more Heritage plans, but people like VC fans are in the cold.

I'd like to emphasize, though it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with you guys, that NeoGAF isn't a hivemind. It's definitely surprising how quickly the vitriol can build and how binary things can be (stuff is either amazing or crap) but it's otherwise a nice place to chat.

edit: the place doesn't need defending and I'm not doing it, but there are too many opinions to criticize in aggregate. Ignore this post if you so wish though, it's just a thought
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:19:40 pm by inthesky »
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 03:43:06 pm »
From my reckoning, this is what SEGA Japan has this year;

- Phantasy Star Online 2 Vita (PSVita)
- Shining Ark (PSP) never coming here and looks unremarkable
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (PS3) is anyone here interested in this at all?
- 7th Dragon 2020-ii (PSP) never coming here
- Mystery 28/03 title (PS3/PSVita)
- Space Harrier 3D (3DS) 20 year old game
- Chaos Online (PC) never coming here
- Code of Joker (Arcade) never coming here
- Shining Force Cross Elysion (Arcade) never coming here
- Border Break Ver C 3.0 (Arcade) hope it comes here, but doubt it
- SEGA Card Gen MLB 2013 (Arcade) never coming here
- MaiMai (Arcade) never coming here
- Starhorse 3: Blaze of Glory (Arcade) this is a horse racing gambling sim
- Starboat (Arcade) this is a boat racing gambling sim
- MJ5 Evolution (Arcade) this is a mahjong sim

And a few other arcade and digital titles.

SEGA Europe/America release schedule has been;

- The Cave (PS3/360/PC) sega published indie game
- Anarchy Reigns (PS3/360) supposedly not that great and a Platinum title to boot
- Aliens: Colonial Marines (360/PS3/PC) legitimately terrible
- Phantasy Star Online 2 (PC) disappointing game and I'd be surprised if it DID even make it here
- Company of Heroes 2 (PC)
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (I assume after the massive feedback SEGA received, that's lock on for release) (Arcade/PS3)
- Football Manager 2014 (PC)
- Rome II Total War (PC)
Excluding titles that either seem unlikely (7th Dragon) unconfirmed (Yakuza 5) or any mobile titles (Of which there are many)

The future looks bright.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 04:32:59 pm »
This Thread can be closed no? This stuff can be discussed elsewhere

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 04:50:44 pm »
This is what we know is coming out this year for certain, their major AAA titles are either late this year or next year.

What projects we know that are being worked on but have no idea what they are or release date, Creative Assembly's slow paced Alien title & Warhammer title, Relic's second team's title, Sonic Team's up and coming Sonic the Hedgehog title and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio's unannounced Playstation 4 title. The only one of those major titles we know a release date for is the fantasy Warhammer title, sometime in 2014.

Hatsune Miku is pretty big amongst the anime crowd, nothing indicates to me it is some minor series. Cannot comment on Phantasy Star Online 2 until I get to play it, but it has been announced to be releasing in the West.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 05:40:11 pm »
The future looks bright.
How are you able to write a condescending "this is a horse racing gambling sim" and completely ignore that this shit brings in huge loads of cash in asian markets?
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 05:50:19 pm »
I think Rappy was implying on the quality rather than the title itself. Frankly I have no issue with it, SEGA's been involved in the Redemption genre for a long time and Starhorse has been around since 2000, nothing really against it.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 09:23:57 pm »
How are you able to write a condescending "this is a horse racing gambling sim" and completely ignore that this shit brings in huge loads of cash in asian markets?

I just don't think this is a good example of how Sega has not fallen from grace.  This used to be one of the best developers on the market with regards to creative integrity and the fact that they make tons of money off of yearly gambling sims isn't going to earn any points. 

The year is just getting started however it's true, and to your credit Aki, that is indeed a SLEW of titles.  I may not be excited about more than two of the games on that list, but someone else probably is.  Maybe.  Company of Heroes definitely.