Author Topic: Iwata and Nagoshi, anouncing yakuza 1&2HD in the "SEGA" direct.  (Read 12671 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Thought this deserved its own thread. There was a seperate SEGA direct for the japanese audience

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32949989

While i dont understand a thing of what they're saying. Seeing Nagoshi next to iwata like that was kind of strange, but funny.

Things shown in the direct for those who don't feel like skipping through:

Yakuza1&2HD WII U
The cave from double fine WII U
Hatsune Miku game: Project mirai for the 3DS
Mario and Sanic WII U

As I mentioned in the other thread, this is the first itme the yakuza franchise has come out on a platform outside of sony's. Making it kind of a huge thing imo with possible consequences. What do you guys think of this move? Is this money talking? Or a genuine mutual respected collaboration
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:26:21 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: Iwata and Nagoshi, anouncing yakuza 1&2HD in the "SEGA" direct.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 03:08:21 am »
Its Nintendo going to SEGA and asking can you offer us something and SEGA saying yes give us the money . Its a piss take really as any sequel to Yakuza will only be on the PS4 or Next Box
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 05:42:36 am »
PS4 not xbox. While i understand why Sega is doing this, the old Segadog in me is shuddering at the thought of this entire "love in " that sega is doing with nintendo. I've said this once and i'll say it again, if sega wants to be taken seriously as a third party they need to build exclusives for ALL the systems. PC Nintendo and Sony have all benefited from having a Sega exclusive and while i know why sega is reluctant to create one for microsoft it all comes down to the type of game that audience wants. Looking at the exclusive titles across the mentioned platforms the games are titles geared towards the type of things that that platform's respective audience caters for. All Sega had to do is create something that caters towards a xbox audience. Do that and create a few MP titles and it should hopefully work in their intrests.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 06:40:35 am »
PS4 not xbox.

Put it this way, with the Current SEGA if MS came in with buckets full of cash the next Box would be having Yakuza . Not that it happen mind you, but any sequel to me will only be made for the next gen powerful systems
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 07:35:50 am »
This game is going to fail so badly on the Wii U, I honestly have no idea why they even bothered porting it.

This is no Wii U hate, but the series has an established fanbase on the Playstation 3 and that version just sold under 100,000 units. What amount does SEGA hope to sell here with a lower userbase and no Yakuza fanbase on the console, 10,000? 20,000?

And why this title and not Yakuza 5? Most confusing announcement in recent time.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:32:35 am »
Are you talking about Japan or the US/europe? because any release for RGG/YAKUZA is going to have the japanese market in mind first.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 09:35:47 am »
Put it this way, with the Current SEGA if MS came in with buckets full of cash the next Box would be having Yakuza . Not that it happen mind you, but any sequel to me will only be made for the next gen powerful systems

I dont think RGG would sell on the Xbox which is why i think they should create a game at least that fits in with what an xbox gamer would want. We have seen signs of this already with previous Sega xbox titles that did well and were (sort of) exclusives. CHROMEHOUNDS, FULL AUTO and CONDEMNED. Of course all delivered by sources outside of the main SOJ dev house and for whatever reason games that didn't get a chance to establish what audience they help build for sega on that system to solidify it.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 09:46:33 am »
Are you talking about Japan or the US/europe? because any release for RGG/YAKUZA is going to have the japanese market in mind first.

The Japanese market, I just do not think there is much scoop for any particularly large sales with this port.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 09:52:37 am »
The Japanese market, I just do not think there is much scoop for any particularly large sales with this port.

Well that's if they are looking for large sales. RGG has already made its money, the only thing in doing this is to attract new users who haven't played it or still think the system is for kids which is probably why nintendo is so desperate to get it. 

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 11:18:47 pm »
This really just seems like they're just testing the ground to go ninty with the series. Personally I hope it pays off, but like you Aki, I have doubts it will.

Because honestly, Nintendo could potentially be a great partner when it comes to the localizations. It seems very farfetched right now, but we'll see.

I am gonna say that if 1&2 HD are confirmed to come west, i'll be supporting it with my life. Giving the small playerbase in the west, getting it on the Wii U with its small game catalogue, could draw some interest to the series. This is all wishful thinking though. Most of what I say really is  :(

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:22:48 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 06:41:44 am »
What if this came internationally as an eShop exclusive? I wouldn't be too surprised if they went that route.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 12:46:11 pm »
Getting Yakuza out there is always a good thing, although Nintendo wants to flesh out their library more, this will somewhat help SEGA gain some of the Nintendo Audience they would otherwise only get through Sonic.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »
This game is going to fail so badly on the Wii U, I honestly have no idea why they even bothered porting it.

This is no Wii U hate, but the series has an established fanbase on the Playstation 3 and that version just sold under 100,000 units. What amount does SEGA hope to sell here with a lower userbase and no Yakuza fanbase on the console, 10,000? 20,000?

And why this title and not Yakuza 5? Most confusing announcement in recent time.
You just said the answer to that question yourself. The franchise doesn't have an established fanbase on the Wii U, so why would they port the fifth entry in the franchise to the series if they just more easily port the first two games?

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 04:10:57 pm »
I found an article that's comparing this situation to how Monster Hunter ended up on the Wii:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorial/34244

Offline TartarusReaper

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 07:49:19 pm »
It's an experiment to be sure, most definitely like Monster Hunter G and Tri on Wii due to rising development costs. If it does well, I'd say we can expect more Yakuza games to follow. I certainly wouldn't mind if the Wii U became the "Japan Box" of sorts.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:51:11 pm by TartarusReaper »