Author Topic: Sega Spectrum  (Read 11836 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Sega Spectrum
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:23:21 am »

“A new world of entertainment.”

NeoGAF user shaowebb posted the above photo, which bears the month of June below, suggesting that it’s related to some kind of E3 reveal. The Japanese text reads, “A new world of entertainment.”

Since the image surfaced, some sites have speculated that the logo is for a new Sega console, which seems highly unlikely at this point in time. Instead, it could be a new digital service or method of pushing out arcade content in Japan, similar to the company’s Ringwide technology that came into affect a few years ago.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/28/sega-spectrum-logo-sparks-e3-console-and-service-rumours/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543477

So, what is this? Maybe some online distribution service? Mite b cool.
SEG4GES

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Sega Spectrum
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:10:21 pm »
Well we have to wait and see till next week. I doubt its E3 related though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:18:09 pm by ROJM »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:58:07 pm »
Not sure if this is an important detail, but the four colors are cyan, yellow, magenta and black -- CMYK, which comprise the colorspace of offset printing, as opposed to RGB, which is the colorspace for video.

Offline TJKitsune

• Total Meseta: 13
  • That Crazy Fox
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:01:14 am »
I kinda doubt Sega will show anything related to this at E3.  This doesn't seem related to video games so much as it does another little adventure of Sega's like how Orbi is.  Something outside of arcade and game making.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:47:11 am »
I wonder if it's some kind of photobooth.

Offline TJKitsune

• That Crazy Fox
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 01:11:07 pm »
A photobooth would make sense. 

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 02:50:54 pm »
Hopefully it's not a photobooth incorporated into SEGA's urinal games.

I'm expecting it to be something mainstream for Japan only that our minds will only wish for out of curiousity, but have no actual need for.

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 07:16:23 pm »
Hopefully it's not a photobooth incorporated into SEGA's urinal games.

LOL! I give you Kudos... ;-)
SEGA STYLE

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 07:39:03 am »
http://youtu.be/99mw4cE7FL4

I love this guy's vids. He suggests that the Sega Spectrum could be a Sega graphics engine. Come to think of it, has Sega ever had their own graphics engine?
SEG4GES

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 07:56:55 am »
isn't it already confirmed fake?

the sega logo doesn't look right

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 08:13:45 am »
http://youtu.be/99mw4cE7FL4

I love this guy's vids. He suggests that the Sega Spectrum could be a Sega graphics engine. Come to think of it, has Sega ever had their own graphics engine?

The last ones was the Magical VG engine used in YAKUZA and one of the Ninja Gaiden and the CANVAS engine for VC.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 08:18:28 am »
I still think it's fake.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 10:26:14 am »
You know what would be awesome? An arcade board that's either backwards compatible or capable of emulating SEGA's past arcade boards, and is able to link to a digital service where it could download these games without arcade owners having to order new machines or discs. Peripherals could be added for different games.

And what would be even more awesome? If SEGA released a home version of this arcade board ala Neo Geo MVS that could access and download games from this same network!

Though like others have said, it's probably just a photo booth. Or a printer. Or fake.

Offline TJKitsune

• That Crazy Fox
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 01:37:07 pm »
You know what would be awesome? An arcade board that's either backwards compatible or capable of emulating SEGA's past arcade boards, and is able to link to a digital service where it could download these games without arcade owners having to order new machines or discs. Peripherals could be added for different games.

And what would be even more awesome? If SEGA released a home version of this arcade board ala Neo Geo MVS that could access and download games from this same network!

Though like others have said, it's probably just a photo booth. Or a printer. Or fake.

Jeebus!  This would totally be awesome if Sega pulled something like that to compete with Taito's NESiCA network!  But I think the cost of it would be in the thousands...  New arcade systems, as it is, go for high prices..  Would be cool to have a sort of SEGA MAME-like system, but you can already build one of those yourself...  But a legit download system..using some modern PC configuration and set up and officially licensed and used with some sort of online buying system would be cool.

I'm kinda leaning towards this all being fake though now..  That date...  6/12..  That's the 2nd day of E3.  Why wait till the 2nd day to reveal such a thing and not the first day?  Schedule conflictions?  They holding a private reveal if this is true?  Doesn't really make much sense.  I would think if Sega were going to throw something out there, they'd want people to flock to it during all three days of the convention, not just the last two..

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 02:40:37 pm »
Could be like Lost World, someone gets the exclusive the day before. Or it isn't announced in Japan until the next day.

Or it has nothing to do with E3 XD