Author Topic: Rare Sega Games  (Read 21094 times)

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
Re: Rare Sega Games
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 12:23:34 pm »
I've played it through 4 or 5 times, and I've never played any RPG all the way through that many times.  If you get through it in 10 hours, you're not taking time to explore everything.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 01:02:48 pm »
To be brutally honest, I wasn't impressed with PDS as much as some other Saturn games of the era (Shining Force III being my favourite RPG on the console), but I have to admit that the game did really blow me away with the art direction and sheer graphic prowess for a Saturn game. The world and story didn't wow me much with the lore, but just the unique feel and atmosphere was really great IMO.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 07:13:17 am »
I've played it through 4 or 5 times, and I've never played any RPG all the way through that many times.  If you get through it in 10 hours, you're not taking time to explore everything.

The game doesn't indicate that there's that many side quests. :\ (I was also stuck in a labyrinth for 3 hours, so my 10 hours can be justified at this point since I certainly explored that area unintentionally <_<)

Does it matter how long the game is when I said that the hours are subjective? Even if I played it for 30 hours and completed everything in the world, I still don't believe it's worth the money, and like I said before, no game, SEGA or otherwise, is worth that price.

I loved The Last Story, and that's probably a little bit longer than PDS, but if that game was the same price I'd have the same opinion.

It's good that you appreciate it by playing it to get your money's worth, and I appreciate it for what it is, but no one can defend the price of the game because of SEGA's silly source code mistake, even as fellow SEGA fans. :\

To be brutally honest, I wasn't impressed with PDS as much as some other Saturn games of the era (Shining Force III being my favourite RPG on the console), but I have to admit that the game did really blow me away with the art direction and sheer graphic prowess for a Saturn game. The world and story didn't wow me much with the lore, but just the unique feel and atmosphere was really great IMO.

Exactly! You share my sentiments! :D

I appreciate the game for what it is, and it certainly offers on being different to other games (and even amongst SEGA games), but the story's not great I'll be honest and the world could be a little bit more expansive. It's just a shame that the team were split up after Saga, as I'd certainly be interested in a sequel.

Not played Shining Force to give an honest opinion about it. :(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:15:07 am by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 08:27:17 am »
Burning Rangers for sure, very unique game that will likely never see a rerelease.

I was lucky enough to buy it new shortly after the Saturn was discontinued and the Dreamcast was on the way. Forgot how much it cost, but $40 sounds about right. Now the damn thing is $100+

Offline Kevin-N

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 01:18:30 am »
Panzer Dragoon Saga- Saturn
Deep Fear pal- saturn
Dragon Riders- Dreamcast
Evil twin- Dreamcast
SEGA fan 4 life !

Offline Bartman3010

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 01:34:43 am »
Rhythm Thief for the Nintendo 3DS physical is starting to become tricky to find. It doesn't help that SEGA has been shying away from physical releases given their new structure last year.

Offline Spock

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 05:43:32 pm »
Burning Rangers for sure, very unique game that will likely never see a rerelease.

I was lucky enough to buy it new shortly after the Saturn was discontinued and the Dreamcast was on the way. Forgot how much it cost, but $40 sounds about right. Now the damn thing is $100+

I found one for about $30. I guess I could try this game. I could still use a few more games for the Dreamcast and Genesis though. I need ones that are more rare because I'm trying to find some that my friends have probably never heard of that would be fun to play, so hopefully most of these games can be multiplayer as we'll...

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 06:54:45 pm »
I found one for about $30. I guess I could try this game. I could still use a few more games for the Dreamcast and Genesis though. I need ones that are more rare because I'm trying to find some that my friends have probably never heard of that would be fun to play, so hopefully most of these games can be multiplayer as we'll...

It's a really unique game. Gameplay is fun, graphics impressive (especially the lighting effects), and the music just plain awesome. Controls feel a tad clunky, but not much worse than most 3D action games from that era. If Sega ever unshackled Sonic Team from Sonic for a while, a new Burning Rangers game would be near the top of my most desired list.
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 07:49:21 pm »
It's a really unique game. Gameplay is fun, graphics impressive (especially the lighting effects), and the music just plain awesome. Controls feel a tad clunky, but not much worse than most 3D action games from that era. If Sega ever unshackled Sonic Team from Sonic for a while, a new Burning Rangers game would be near the top of my most desired list.

I give kudos to you, sir. :D
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Saturn Memories

• In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 08:26:46 pm »
I give kudos to you, sir. :D

It's one of those games that makes you nostalgic for the Sega of yesterday. The Sega that was once a wellspring of limitless talent and creativity. The Sega that wasn't afraid to take chances.
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!

Offline Spock

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 02:18:26 am »

I would also like to see Sega focused on other games. They have made too many Sonic games. I think trying to release a game that hardly anyone remembers would be a little bit risky. It might still work itself out, if they can make the game far better than the original. I probably shouldn't have an opinion on that, unless I played the game and made a new thread about it.

For the person who posted about Panzer Dragoon, I have a question. Is it really rare? I thought Sega later released it on Xbox...

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 03:13:13 am »
Panzer Dragoon Orta was released on XBOX, and you can unlock the PC version of PD1 within the game. I think people were talking about Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Offline Saturn Memories

• In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 04:18:41 am »
I would also like to see Sega focused on other games. They have made too many Sonic games. I think trying to release a game that hardly anyone remembers would be a little bit risky. It might still work itself out, if they can make the game far better than the original. I probably shouldn't have an opinion on that, unless I played the game and made a new thread about it.

For the person who posted about Panzer Dragoon, I have a question. Is it really rare? I thought Sega later released it on Xbox...

I'll be posting a Burning Rangers playthrough next week on my YT channel. I can't pull off an S-rank run (requirements are extremely lofty), but I've got an A-rank run just about wrapped up. Should be a good reference material if you're having a hard time with the game.

Offline Spock

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 03:14:57 pm »
I'll be posting a Burning Rangers playthrough next week on my YT channel. I can't pull off an S-rank run (requirements are extremely lofty), but I've got an A-rank run just about wrapped up. Should be a good reference material if you're having a hard time with the game.

Ok. Can you P.M. your channel to me? I don't think segabits would like it too much, if YouTube channels start to float around on threads like this. By the way, thanks for all the information so far. I think I might try this game and maybe a few others on this list.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 03:34:05 pm »
We don't have any problems with people sharing their channels, in fact Saturn Memories has his own thread where all his videos are posted. No need to sneak around in private messages.