Author Topic: Failure of recent Sega ports  (Read 10105 times)

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
Failure of recent Sega ports
« on: May 18, 2014, 11:29:33 am »
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/05/09/sega-rejuvenating-classic-games

Though the games have reached an appreciative niche audience, so far sales have hardly been commensurate with M2’s efforts. Japan aside, Okunari concedes, the performance of the likes of 3D Space Harrier and 3D Galaxy Force II fell some way below expectations. Indeed, while Japan has since seen ports of AfterBurner II, Fantasy Zone and OutRun, there’s no indication that they’ll be released in the west.

Despite the disappointing sales outside Japan for the 3D Classics series, Okunari insists he’ll continue to “investigate new titles” and tackle fresh challenges. “I continue to do this work because there’s always this certain number of people throughout the world that have continued over the years to endorse these sort of projects. As long as the fans and lovers of these old games continue to be a market, I think we will be able to continue doing this work.”

Hope he's right. Seems like most of Sega's recent porting efforts have underperformed for one reason or another. Dreamcast collection was a mess, half of the Model 2 ports have gone unreleased here, NiGHTS didn't do so hot... :\
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
Re: Failure of recent Sega ports
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 11:45:15 am »
I am sorry what is "half of the model 2" ?.
About the fails well sometimes happens. Let the hope come in and full us XD.

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:16:22 pm »
I am sorry what is "half of the model 2" ?.
About the fails well sometimes happens. Let the hope come in and full us XD.

Sega did five Model 2 ports a while back: VF2, Fighting Vipers, Sonic the Fighters, Virtua Striker, and Virtual-On. The West got the first three, but not the latter two.

Edit: Forgot about Daytona. It wasn't part of that batch, but I can't technically say half when in reality two-thirds of the games got released here.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:18:40 pm by Saturn Memories »
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 12:47:38 pm »
So we didnt get Virtual-On and Virtual striker (i still play this one in my arcade near my house :) ) thanks for the info.
One of the reasons i read that people dont buy it is the price, perhaps is time to a reduction?. It is a shame because as far i read they are really well done ports.

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 02:45:55 pm »
I honestly have no desire to play these games in 3D on my 3DS. I'd rather see them retooled in HD (like some of them already have been.) My Xbox One could use some Sega...

Offline Bartman3010

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 03:12:10 pm »
I'm starting to wonder if SEGA really has fallen this far behind into obscurity that a lot of these ports are under performing because, well, nobody remembers about them. Not to mention they just happen to appear on these download services with little to no fan fare outside of their blog that is only followed by angry fans that...I guess have no money or don't carry the same nostalgia as those who played these games back in the day.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 03:38:57 pm »
I'm a huge fan but haven't got any of the 3d versions from eshop. My reason really is the price. It's not that it's expensive, but emulation can be done on almost every platform within the same time u download these games. On PC, on a homebrewed wii or psp etc and it works great. I can say with 100% certainty that i wouldve bought them if emulation didnt exist. Just stating my side since they are "investigating"

Other than that I think SEGA loyalty/love has faded for many people. It is SEGA as a whole that needs to become appealing again so we fans can be proud to support them. I've felt that i've been kicked in the nuts several times by them.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 05:06:15 am »
From what I've been able to tell just from looking around these past couple years, it seems the Heritage series helped pick up some of the slack, but it's true Sega desperately needs to start letting people know these games exist, I didn't even know about Jet Set Radio or NiGHTS' ports until a couple months after they both came out on PC. It seems that the only way the games have(seemingly) done well is through word-of-mouth, which is pretty risky to say the least. Sonic Adventure 2 and Jet Set Radio probably picked up a good deal of steam thanks to their appearances at E3 and other conventions. Sega seems to be pouring all the exposure into the announcement of these ports and then just kinda crossing their fingers that people remember that they're coming out or word spreads when they release.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 08:41:40 am »
I'm starting to wonder if SEGA really has fallen this far behind into obscurity that a lot of these ports are under performing because, well, nobody remembers about them. Not to mention they just happen to appear on these download services with little to no fan fare outside of their blog that is only followed by angry fans that...I guess have no money or don't carry the same nostalgia as those who played these games back in the day.

Pretty much spot on!

SEGA isn't a behemoth any more, and the sooner they realise that, the better they'll be! Yes, these 3D Ports are excellent, but they don't do enough to broadcast them...hell...even ask Nintendo do highlight them!

I'm a huge fan but haven't got any of the 3d versions from eshop. My reason really is the price. It's not that it's expensive, but emulation can be done on almost every platform within the same time u download these games. On PC, on a homebrewed wii or psp etc and it works great. I can say with 100% certainty that i wouldve bought them if emulation didnt exist. Just stating my side since they are "investigating"

Other than that I think SEGA loyalty/love has faded for many people. It is SEGA as a whole that needs to become appealing again so we fans can be proud to support them. I've felt that i've been kicked in the nuts several times by them.

That's the thing though, M2 have recreated the games so that they are AMAZING in 3D! These are not "just" ports or emulated games...they've physically worked on these games to work even better in 3D!

I've only bought Sonic myself but I have my reasons of not buying the rest (lack of time to play mostly). But I bought it knowing it'll help M2 out (and I get a nice looking "remade" Sonic game to boot!)

We honestly can't blame this guy's research, but he has to understand that what you get with SEGA is pretty much little advertising (Platinum learned that all too well), you get the creative freedom (usually), but not the marketing push.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 08:42:43 am »
I think this series is a great idea, but I'm just not in a place where I'm likely to buy another system (the 3DS). If they could possibly port these versions to the PS or Xbox or PC and still have the 3D capability I'd be all over them.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 09:02:14 am »

That's the thing though, M2 have recreated the games so that they are AMAZING in 3D! These are not "just" ports or emulated games...they've physically worked on these games to work even better in 3D!

I've only bought Sonic myself but I have my reasons of not buying the rest (lack of time to play mostly). But I bought it knowing it'll help M2 out (and I get a nice looking "remade" Sonic game to boot!)

We honestly can't blame this guy's research, but he has to understand that what you get with SEGA is pretty much little advertising (Platinum learned that all too well), you get the creative freedom (usually), but not the marketing push.
I should buy them eventually. The screenshots in 3D do look fabulous. If I get some it'll probably be shinobi 3 and either space harrier or that other 3d flying game (forgot it's name).

Still think i'd jump in much faster if they were 3 euro for example. They're like what, 5/6 bucks now?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 08:13:32 am »
Amazed so few of you have played the SEGA 3D Classics! The Genesis/MD games are decent, but the arcade releases are fantastic! Space Harrier and Galaxy Force II especially. Do yourself a favor and buy one of those, they're absolutely worth it!

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 04:17:18 pm »
Yeah, do what Barry said or he'll kick you out!  No, seriously, they are great, and they support SEGA porting stuff to the west.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 10:10:56 am »
Next time I charge up my funds the first games i'll get are galaxy force and shinobi 3 then :). What are everyone's favorites so far? What games have the 3d do them a lot of justice?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 11:00:54 am »
Space Harrier for sure is done great justice. The stylus controls are so intuitive, and the 3D effect is really effective. The easter egg boss battle is also a very cool addition for fans of the series.