Author Topic: Atari back in the hardware?  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
Atari back in the hardware?
« on: May 19, 2014, 03:22:44 pm »
Here are the news:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/05/atari-looking-to-get-back-into-hardware/

To be honest i am to young to know anything about Atari besides their legacy in the consoles and arcades business. But as far as i investigate this is not the "real" Atari this is actually "Infogrames" the french company that bought Atari back in the day and then their change their name to "atari SA", (Please correct me if i am wrong). Many people dont know this fact.
It is pretty obvious to me that they will not back to the consoles business but it will be interesting to see what they will come up with.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
Re: Atari back in the hardware?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:23:39 pm »
It would be nice to see Atari again. It would be funny, if they did make a big comeback, just like "Blade Runner" predicted. The same with TDK, and other icons featured in the film. IDK if I would feel comfortable giving money to "Time Warner" ( if I am correct, is that who owns Atari nowadays? ).

IDK, maybe if it did sell.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:00:12 am »
Would be a huge mistake honestly, unless they'd hypothetically do it with a partner like apple behind em. Not gonna happen though

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:04:37 am »
Hey guys, actually read the original source before saying stuff:
"I'm not talking about a new console ... but, like, a watch. A gamified watch. It's not what we are going to do, but think about [something like] that," he said.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-05-19-atari-ceo-i-didnt-buy-the-company-to-make-t-shirts

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:25:14 am »
Haha! That watch quote kills me. "We're making something like a watch. Well, not really, but something like that. It's not a watch... but it would be similar to one..."

Honestly, I think Atari is best suited to licensing out the original catalog for retro hardware like the Flashback consoles. I would love to see an Atari Flashback console that accepts cartridges.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:57:41 am »
Lol, sad stuff, poor Atari.

I was expecting more of a Commodore USA revival, anyone remember those?
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 11:47:29 am »
Yes yes i know they are not trying to make another console. My biggest doubt was that this was the original ATARI or another company with the name. It seems that after all is not the original ATARI and they will not make a console again, but the ideas that the current CEO have are very interesting.

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 04:47:54 pm »
Same guy who led the company into bankruptcy last year...
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 08:06:43 pm »
Honestly, I think Atari is best suited to licensing out the original catalog for retro hardware like the Flashback consoles. I would love to see an Atari Flashback console that accepts cartridges.

Barry, the Flashback 2 is the one to get. It was designed by one of the original Atari engineers -- as a contractor this time, since "Atari" is indeed Infogrames and has no original staffers. But it is indeed a 100% accurate Atari 2600 redesign (no emulation), and he designed it so that it can be modded to add a cartridge port. It actually has labels printed on the motherboard indicating where to solder in the connections. Quite a fun project if you are handy with a soldering iron, and kind of a love letter to the Atari/modding community.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 04:45:32 am »
Yeah... That's likely never going to happen. They are barely making ends meet with their digital titles, their last "big budget" release was Special Force: Team X. Which has been very poorly received and bombed completely.

While I cannot deny the nostalgic value, that's all the brand is. Waay past it's time. Stick to software.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 02:11:59 pm »
Man I can't wait to buy a sort of a watch but not really.