Author Topic: So, Sega Japan starts to invest in the crowdfunding business..  (Read 12841 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: So, Sega Japan starts to invest in the crowdfunding business..
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 11:57:34 am »
For once we agree one something. Well said ROJM.
Also it takes money to set things like that up. Part of the reason Segasammy has been cutting back is because of the insane investments they have made. The tried to set up a movie studio that completely missed the point of and didn't use the assets they should have used. How much money do you guys think cost the company? A lot. A lot of the money that they have lost isn't just down to sega or sammy. They have actually been making money in their respective fields. Its the umbrella company that lost a lot of the money outside the usual losses these companies make individually. They couldn't run a movie production company properly so i really have no faith that they can run a crowd funding company properly either. Sega needs western blood back into the company and lead the board. They basically need a Kalinske. Why was it that under Kalinske did Sega soar to the top? That hasn't happened since he left the company. How come when Hayes was around did Sega make substantial grounds in the western market place with the titles that they had and the investments in the PC market that he made? If SOJ was doing it by themselves they wouldn't have bothered and lost even more money.
Japanese management at least under sega doen't have the type of motzy you need to even run a crowdfunding operation where you need to be charismatic and everything else to appeal to the average joe gamer. There is a reason why companies like Microsoft and Apple got to where they are because they had a leader in those companies that was focused on the company and what they needed to do. SOJ and segasammy hasn't had that since Kalinske left..and let's face it guys..he was the leader of Sega more so than the guy running SOJ at the time. This company won't work because SOJ is running it.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 12:05:02 pm »

I guess in a way it's similar to Bayo 2. Sega could have funded that game, but they didn't. Instead of Nintendo stepping in to fund it, the fans could. Wouldn't you rather have a fan-funded game than none at all?

That's not the point. Its like asking you to pay Donald Trumps bills when he has more than enough money to pay it off himself..tenfold. Its nothing to do with whether or not i want this game or not. Its the principle of it. SHENMUE 3 is hypothetical at this point but it really goes for al the other stuff that this company is meant to crowd fund for. Anime shows? Sega fricking owns TMS one of the big anime studios in japan. Which is another example of them having an asset like that and never bloody using them properly.
Why fund a anime when Sega has an anime studio and the money...which TMS also has themselves...and do it themselves? Don't you see what's wrong with this picture?
This is why i keep telling people that you need to know exactly how and in what position a video games company is in. If all of you believed TA's lies...you would think Sega has no money at all and not making a profit...which is what half the gaming public think..despite sega buying Atlus last year. I know to a degree how Sega works and i defiantly know they don't need to do this..they are no where in dire straits. It kinda is a slap in the face to the projects that really would need this money and benefit from it more.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 12:10:42 pm »
Wouldn't you rather have a fan-funded game than none at all?

Personally no. Sega can't have its cake and eat it too. If they refuse to lay down money, then they should hand over the IP to platinum and risk losing the IP to platinum in the event of a successful crowdfunding campaign instead.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 12:18:54 pm »
Personally no. Sega can't have its cake and eat it too. If they refuse to lay down money, then they should hand over the IP to platinum and risk losing the IP to platinum in the event of a successful crowdfunding campaign instead.

Wouldn't want them to lose IP but that's what it boils down to. They have the money even more than a lot of their peer in japan. Do it themselves. I agree on you with that.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 12:19:42 pm »
Guys I do not think this will be something specifically for fans. It is more like a japanese version of kickstarter. )

Offline ROJM

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 12:30:11 pm »
Guys I do not think this will be something specifically for fans. It is more like a japanese version of kickstarter. )

I said that already. But whether its japan or the west its still amounts to the same thing. Why crowdfund something that a company like Sega has the funds in abundance, themselves to do it?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 12:43:40 pm »

The problem is they wont. They'll sit on that IP until Judgement Day and not do a thing with it. If they don't have the risk of losing money however, they might use their resources to actually make the game.

That's not the point. Its like asking you to pay Donald Trumps bills when he has more than enough money to pay it off himself..tenfold. Its nothing to do with whether or not i want this game or not. Its the principle of it.

If I paid 1% of Donald Trumps electricity bill, and then he let me use his home theatre system for the weekend and take a beer from his fridge, that's more of a fair comparison. I'm purchasing something from him.

I can put down money to purchase a copy of Shenmue III, and that money goes directly to funding said game so when it's released I get my copy.

I can understand your stance on this, but I do feel that this is an interesting opportunity to take risks that would usually be written off entirely and never attempted. I don't really see why it's a negative, nor why Sega 'should' be funding a risky project themselves. Left to their own devices it's plain to see that Sega would rather spend money on Mobile Games instead.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 12:48:17 pm »
Anyway they are only investing in the company that is doing the crowdfunding video games crowd funding project. Its not really an indication that Sega IP will be up for crowdfunding. Were probably getting carried away with this whole thing.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 12:54:20 pm »
Anyway they are only investing in the company that is doing the crowdfunding video games crowd funding project. Its not really an indication that Sega IP will be up for crowdfunding. Were probably getting carried away with this whole thing.

True, I doubt it'll be used directly. I'm kind of surprised they are looking into a new crowdfunding project, considering that there's already quite a few in existence. I wonder what they are looking to do differently, or if it's just Kickstarter centered around a Japanese audience.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 01:14:02 pm »
True, I doubt it'll be used directly. I'm kind of surprised they are looking into a new crowdfunding project, considering that there's already quite a few in existence. I wonder what they are looking to do differently, or if it's just Kickstarter centered around a Japanese audience.

From what i understand, Sega networks is investing money into Goopa with someone else like Fuji TV and that money will be used to set up the company crowfunder which will focus on games and anime. The games/anime that made will obviously air on Fuji networks or carried by Sega networks. But its only for japan as well. So they basically want their own version of crowddfunding that they directly benefit from and control rather than using something already established.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 01:55:50 pm »
So basically what you are saying is that Sega is suffering from "Not Invented here syndrome"?

Offline ROJM

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 02:15:39 pm »
So basically what you are saying is that Sega is suffering from "Not Invented here syndrome"?

I'm saying that if these crowd funded projects are based on games and anime that are new..sega and Fuji will basically have new IP that the public have paid for.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 03:19:00 pm »

More info...Sega Networks had a conference with their Autumn/Winter releases for mobile.
In between the announcements, they just expose two new things:

-Noah Pass, their system to purchase in-game items or microtransactions in their games, now has a new alliance with Amazon for expanding the service (possible Kindle Fire promotion in Japan by Sega and Amazon?Who knows...)

-Crowdrive is also a cloud system service that will provides videogames  (See that MD in the graphics....)

Now this is turning much bigger than before....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:20:44 pm by Nirmugen »

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 04:10:04 pm »
Now this is starting to sound more like Square Enix's "Shinra" cloud system with some crowd-funding elements.

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 05:06:16 pm »
Now this is starting to sound more like Square Enix's "Shinra" cloud system with some crowd-funding elements.

Speaking about "Shinra", what is that exactly?, like an "Origin" but from Square-Enix?