Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC?  (Read 72853 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC?
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2014, 11:07:45 am »

I bet the team hope so, but I doubt Sammy will green light it . The sad thing in all this, is some of us years back were calling for this game to be on the PC and now years later SEGA wakes up, we should have had a 360 version too.

I don't think so either..but since Hajime has passed the reigns to Segasammy to his son..who seems to be more intrested in Sega..who knows..maybe you will get you're dream of multi format console Sega games being released..sooner rather than never..

Offline ROJM

« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2014, 11:09:14 am »
Bringing Classic games back is one thing (which I guess VC is now accounted too right)

But F2P is that huge thing on Steam today. PSO2 and also The World End Eclipse should be on Sega's Radar.
Can't see them doing that with ECLIPSE...possibly PSO2.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2014, 11:18:04 am »
I don't think so either..but since Hajime has passed the reigns to Segasammy to his son..who seems to be more intrested in Sega..who knows..maybe

Well I bet the team would be up for it and ready to make a full blown sequel . But that depends on if SEGA will green light a big budget Japanese production on the next gen consoles .... I just don't see it somehow even if the PS4 and XBox One are heavily based on PC tech and so a multi format version wouldn't be much hassle at all .

That said there seems to be massive decline in Interest for a Japanese developer RPG even in Japan on the consoles , So you can see why Sammy wouldn't want to make it. 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2014, 11:29:52 am »

Well I bet the team would be up for it and ready to make a full blown sequel . But that depends on if SEGA will green light a big budget Japanese production on the next gen consoles .... I just don't see it somehow even if the PS4 and XBox One are heavily based on PC tech and so a multi format version wouldn't be much hassle at all .

That said there seems to be massive decline in Interest for a Japanese developer RPG even in Japan on the consoles , So you can see why Sammy wouldn't want to make it. 

Well the systems are selling in China quite ok..and Sega japan wants in on that market so that may be a way for them to start going towards it without pandering to western gamers and get a foothold(if succesful) in china by creating console content for them.

I dunno how expensive using CANVAS engine would be now. I wouldn't expect it to be too expensive as the first title was. It all depends if this news and the game's performance in the whole of this month as well as december and the holiday season..continues to be strong.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2014, 11:33:20 am »
If Sega can greenlight Shining Resonance...I really don't see the reason why VC shoudn't get another chance.

Forget a numbered title, just some subtitle, perhaps a prequel for WW1.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2014, 11:42:50 am »
If Sega can greenlight Shining Resonance...I really don't see the reason why VC shoudn't get another chance.

Forget a numbered title, just some subtitle, perhaps a prequel for WW1.

Its simple...RESONANCE is cheaper to make.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2014, 11:48:02 am »
Well the systems are selling in China quite ok..and Sega japan wants in on that market so that may be a way for them to start going towards

China is a pain of a market I would imagine . You have to submit everything for China's sick Communist government to approve and then you have to battle the Piracy market which is just massive in China and Hong Kong. I have no idea why SEGA will think Yakuza will have any chance in China given the strict rules on gambling for starters   
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Trippled

« Reply #202 on: November 12, 2014, 11:48:36 am »
Its simple...RESONANCE is cheaper to make.

Making a new VC game based on the graphic and performance of the PC version, woudn't cost much more either I feel.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #203 on: November 12, 2014, 12:10:28 pm »

China is a pain of a market I would imagine . You have to submit everything for China's sick Communist government to approve and then you have to battle the Piracy market which is just massive in China and Hong Kong. I have no idea why SEGA will think Yakuza will have any chance in China given the strict rules on gambling for starters   

I know but Sega doesn't have a problem with that. Its a market that Satomi has been after for years..actually its more Satomi than SOJ that wants that market at all costs..starting with the Sega PC online enterprise that failed...the Sega amusements which didn't...and the refocused Sega Shanghai base. So its more likely to happen sooner rather than later. And of course i very much doubt if Sega will release YAKUZA down there..titles like PSO2 has been getting released there on the digital/PC front.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2014, 12:28:26 pm »
It's great to hear that the game is doing well beyond expectations, though Aki-at brought up thoughts I've had for a while.  Where do we go next? What does this mean for Valkyria?

Short term, I'll echo that maybe SEGA should get Platinum on the horn and get Vanquish (Bayo 1 as well?) ported, or inhouse possibly get VF5FS/Skies/other highly requested game ported.  Would Resonance be as welcomed as VC was? I loved the game and put a whole bunch of hours to Platinum it, but I'm worried about the notorious difficulty curve may turn off people...then again I would totally be wrong and people would love the game for it.  I would hope for them to finally pull the trigger and bring out PSO2, just throw in all the SEGA cross-overs now that VC and other franchises are making PC appearances (the only one missing would Yakuza, right?)

As for Valkyria itself, I really hope that this means the series is getting another shot, but what to do next? I'm also worried that the downgrade with 2 and even 3 may do harm than good (I still want to see the 3rd game localized).  A new entry is risky, but I'm hoping the PC reception encourages them to consider it, possibly doing both a console and PC release at the same time (limited print run for the former if need be). 

This can of course also apply to other IPs/Games that they're either sitting on or haven't localize (but obviously not always guarantee success). Honestly though? I want this to be the open door for getting their catalog to interested and potential audiences.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #205 on: November 12, 2014, 12:45:24 pm »
^I don't believe Sega would need to get in touch with Platinum for any reason to port Bayo/Vanquish (or even Anarchy Reigns, which I would like to see on PC). They wouldn't be required for porting duties, nor for any licensing etc.

I think Sega needs to be careful with which title is next. VC is a real darling of the fanbase, whereas Resonance of Fate didn't seem to be half as well recieved by the fans or the media. I would think Vanquish is the most obvious choice, then maybe Virtua Fighter 5:FS (to coincide with Ver. B?), Bay and perhaps Yakuza 3/4.

Basically focus on titles that already have people campaigning about them and have been critical smash hits or have dedicated cult followings that will hype the game for them.

I was trying to figure out why exactly VC did so well when apparently NiGHTS and JSRF didn't perform nearly as well despite being wonderful ports. I think that Sega just didn't make a big deal about them ( I had to check a few times to know NiGHTS even had a PC port), whereas VC had a push by the petitioners and the like.

If it wasn't for the community and general shock of 'Holy shit they are porting this old game to PC?' Sega basically did no marketing for the title, announcing it a few weeks before the release date. I hope their next title will have more lead up and I hope they encourage the community to get behind it and make some noise.  That's why I think games that have vocal fanbases will be the best option, and something that gives hope for future follow-ups (Yakuza and Virtua Fighter would be prime targets, "If we buy it on Steam, it'll get a sequel/translation/futa custom items!)

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2014, 12:56:08 pm »
Realistic next step: Skies of Arcadia.

Desired next step: VC 2&3 bundle, or simultaneous release so 2's sales can't again crap on 3's chances of localization.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2014, 12:59:01 pm »
It's interresting that this "shock" announcement did better than a "well it's about time!" release.

Valkyria Chronicles is likely also Sega's most precious cult darling ever since...the Dreamcast, to be honest. It was at Demon Souls level of popularity.
I don't think Yakuza and Virtua Fighter have the same pull.
It was a good oppurtunity, taken by Sega at the right time. A similarly good oppurtunity was to bring Yakuza Ishin during the PS4 drought, which Sega didn't take.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2014, 01:01:52 pm »
Realistic next step: Skies of Arcadia.

Desired next step: VC 2&3 bundle, or simultaneous release so 2's sales can't again crap on 3's chances of localization.

I really wouldn't care if VC2 got ported or not. I just found that game to be such a downgrade compared to VC1.

It's interresting that this "shock" announcement did better than a "well it's about time!" release.

Valkyria Chronicles is likely also Sega's most precious cult darling ever since...the Dreamcast, to be honest. It was at Demon Souls level of popularity.
I don't think Yakuza and Virtua Fighter have the same pull.

True, but is there anything that would have the same pull? Maybe Vanquish/Bayo? Although Bayo also just saw re-release on Wii-U.

I think VF could still pull some support, especially from the fighting game community, who want more games on Steam and have mad respect for VF (Even though half of them then go back to Street Fighter IV *vomits*)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2014, 01:31:32 pm »
Maybe we should attempt another big push for #SEGAPCPorts now that VC came out... You know, strike while the iron is hot.
I wonder if Taro Yamada still posts here, we can organize another push...