Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC?  (Read 73669 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC?
« Reply #225 on: November 13, 2014, 08:46:42 am »
It could just be testing the waters too. Maybe they want to continue the franchise, which is obvious from the amount of tie ins they've done but they are unsure how much the audience want it. This is a relatively easy way to see if a sequel may get enough attention.

I was hoping it was testing the waters for PC ports rather than Valk sequels. I would love another Valk game, but I also think it's more realistic to hope for more PC ports.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2014, 08:49:48 am »
VC isn't a defunct series..its carried on in japan..with four titles...VC, VC 2, VC 3 and VC 3 Special Edition. Some webspace type game and merchandise and an anime.  Its more likely ties to that MM rather than bringing more PC ports at the moment...

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2014, 08:55:04 am »
VC isn't a defunct series..its carried on in japan..with four titles...VC, VC 2, VC 3 and VC 3 Special Edition. Some webspace type game and merchandise and an anime.  Its more likely ties to that MM rather than bringing more PC ports at the moment...

I don't doubt it, but I'm just saying I'm not sure how excited I am for more VC with the way the series progressed.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #228 on: November 13, 2014, 09:01:55 am »
I don't doubt it, but I'm just saying I'm not sure how excited I am for more VC with the way the series progressed.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 is about a group of criminals/dishonourably discharged soldiers who are forced to fight for the Gallia militia in more or less suicide missions since the chain of command sees them as expandable. So it's really nothing like the second game in tone, which was just SEGA trying to grab the Monster Hunter and anime crowd, the third one is a closer return to form.

Anyway it could do both, testing the water for ports and also if a title does well enough, expand on it with sequels/side games. As Joe mentioned, The House of the Dead: Overkill only got made because The House of the Dead port on the Wii smashed all of SEGA's expectations.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #229 on: November 13, 2014, 09:02:47 am »

Well of course that's down to what you want and what they eventually release...pretty much like what people want from Sonic and what Sega do with it are two different things...

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2014, 09:07:56 am »
Valkyria Chronicles 3 is about a group of criminals/dishonourably discharged soldiers who are forced to fight for the Gallia militia in more or less suicide missions since the chain of command sees them as expandable. So it's really nothing like the second game in tone, which was just SEGA trying to grab the Monster Hunter and anime crowd, the third one is a closer return to form.

I'm not talking about tone, I didn't even mind the military academy aspect of VC 2, even down to the almost ludicrously large breasted women antagonists.

I just hated that everything was downscaled for the PSP, to the point where the battles almost felt like a chore sometimes since they were on such small maps and had a lot of the variety removed. At least of what I played of it (which was a few hours in and really wanting to like it).

I don't know if VC3 improved on that aspect. The idea of playing as a Penal Battalion sounds awesome though.

Well of course that's down to what you want and what they eventually release...pretty much like what people want from Sonic and what Sega do with it are two different things...

Oh don't worry, I know full well that what I want and what Sega does are two different things. if they did everything I wanted they would likely be bankrupt by now three times over.
Having said that, I do think it would be a mistake for Sega to ignore this as a sign that PC ports are a viable revenue stream for them too.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2014, 09:32:16 am »
I just hated that everything was downscaled for the PSP, to the point where the battles almost felt like a chore sometimes since they were on such small maps and had a lot of the variety removed. At least of what I played of it (which was a few hours in and really wanting to like it).

I don't know if VC3 improved on that aspect. The idea of playing as a Penal Battalion sounds awesome though.

That really comes down to the PSP being weaker hardware to work with, sacrifices had to be made. Just like with Phantasy Star Zero for the DS, it wasn't a change in direction of the franchise, just them compromising due to the hardware.

I do think there is a real drive Inn getting more ports on the PC. I just wouldn't rule them out on wanting to continue the franchise.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2014, 09:42:02 am »
That really comes down to the PSP being weaker hardware to work with, sacrifices had to be made. Just like with Phantasy Star Zero for the DS, it wasn't a change in direction of the franchise, just them compromising due to the hardware.

I understand that they had to compromise for the hardware, and it hurt the game as a result.

If they were to make the next game PS4/PC or whatever that would be cool.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #233 on: November 13, 2014, 09:44:11 am »
There's always room to advance and add in more lighting effects and what not , just look at the likes of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDZfREYppk

Just think there's no major market for this Val IV  at full price be that on PC or consoles , Seems that open world RPG's are much more in demand sadly

Well this game (which is an indie game) is not a result of proccesing power, but good Art direction and what not.

Same with Valkyria, the strengh doesn't lie so much in processing power but clever use of filter and art direction. If you take that out, you get a bland looking cel-shaded games similar to Shining Resonance or Tales of games.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #234 on: November 13, 2014, 09:50:35 am »

I do think there is a real drive Inn getting more ports on the PC. I just wouldn't rule them out on wanting to continue the franchise.
Well this is the problem isn't it. We all know VC getting ported fits the Sega- console to PC ratio pattern that they have been doing for years. There's something obviously VC related happening due to the VC pc game and VC content DLC for NOVA being available in the same time/month...and we know VC started to be ported before this campaign started. There's nothing to suggest that Sega will have learned anything because in their view point they're doing something they've always done. While its took soon to say what the impact for VC is..i feel it must have been considerable because of the fact that they released a PR statement. Sega only does that if a title took them by surprise and they were pleased by the results...that's what happened with SONIC GEMS COLLECTION..or one of the genesis collections for consoles...That's what happened with GBA version of SHINING FORCE remake..which led to other SHINING FORCE games..and the series crapness..and i'm sure it happened with HOTD 2+3..which led to other HOTD titles and the eventual HOTD4 port.
Now its VC..so something will happen..some of the titles it beat in the top five in the USA alone were selling big numbers..so VC sold a lot...  be it a new game which i think was going to happen anyway...but some ports of certain Console titles from Sega.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #235 on: November 13, 2014, 10:47:48 am »
So apparently Sega has been working on this port for over a year. I didn't realise it would be such a long development time for a port. Is Valk actually going to be that profitable? Is it worth tying up a developer for a full year just for a port?

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #236 on: November 13, 2014, 11:21:26 am »
Depends if they tied up the whole studio.

The Revengance port to PC for example, I think was only handled by a group of 8 or so folks.

Even if they did, Outgrossing both COD and AC at or near their release dates is a pretty good sign in my book that it has probably if not soon will profit(ed).

Offline ROJM

« Reply #237 on: November 13, 2014, 12:39:47 pm »
Depends if they tied up the whole studio.

The Revengance port to PC for example, I think was only handled by a group of 8 or so folks.

Even if they did, Outgrossing both COD and AC at or near their release dates is a pretty good sign in my book that it has probably if not soon will profit(ed).

Of course its made a profit. There's  no doubt it about that judging from Sega's reaction. And mr Arcade is correct..most big studios/developers rarely often handle the ports of games to other systems themselves..they get other studios to do it...usually on the cheap.  PG had another team to do the BAY 1 WIIU port. Sega often uses other companies to port their titles. Hell PG didn't even code or port BAY PS3.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:49:18 pm by ROJM »

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #238 on: November 13, 2014, 01:02:34 pm »
Just for remember, Sega Europe seems to be the full-force behind this port both external and internally. CA now is a big studio thanks to SS invesments.
I hope Satomi's son is going to be more flexible with R&D on the West.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #239 on: November 13, 2014, 02:33:06 pm »
Well this is the problem isn't it. We all know VC getting ported fits the Sega- console to PC ratio pattern that they have been doing for years. There's something obviously VC related happening due to the VC pc game and VC content DLC for NOVA being available in the same time/month...and we know VC started to be ported before this campaign started. There's nothing to suggest that Sega will have learned anything because in their view point they're doing something they've always done. While its took soon to say what the impact for VC is..i feel it must have been considerable because of the fact that they released a PR statement. Sega only does that if a title took them by surprise and they were pleased by the results...that's what happened with SONIC GEMS COLLECTION..or one of the genesis collections for consoles...That's what happened with GBA version of SHINING FORCE remake..which led to other SHINING FORCE games..and the series crapness..and i'm sure it happened with HOTD 2+3..which led to other HOTD titles and the eventual HOTD4 port.
Now its VC..so something will happen..some of the titles it beat in the top five in the USA alone were selling big numbers..so VC sold a lot...  be it a new game which i think was going to happen anyway...but some ports of certain Console titles from Sega.

I actually think that what you're suggesting is fairly likely also. if something isn't already in the early stages for VC, more discussions are being had about what to do next for the franchise, although the latter is probably more likely I think. My guess is that someone within Sega has brought up making a new full-fledged Valkyria game and, seeing as this would be a controversial move because of the investment, talks may be stalling. But at least it's that, instead of what we might've assumed in the past based on the relative inactivity outside of VC Duel: a moratorium on the franchise.

Besides the VC stuff you cited, there is a Valkyria team in Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax. Valkyria II was supposed to be a Playstation TV (western version of Vita TV) title but for whatever reason it's been pulled.

As for the Shining series speculation, well I would've just assumed it would continue going because even if I don't know how much money they make, Sega continues to make those games on a regular basis. And since Blade Arcus was made, which on some level celebrates the newer era of Shining by using characters across the more recent entries, it seems like Sega would be confident about the franchise.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!