Author Topic: Sharky's corner of negativity: "SEGA of America f***ing sucks"  (Read 40517 times)

Offline Draikin

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Sharky's corner of negativity: "SEGA of America f***ing sucks"
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2014, 11:08:59 am »
I haven't read all the comments here, but I think it's easy to criticize a company when you don't take into consideration that there are people working there, trying to do a good job and often putting in a lot more work hours than they need to. If these people then read comments from people saying that they should be fired, well, I think it's safe to say that's not particularly motivating. Where is PSO 2? I don't know the details, but I think that they genuinely want to release the game, and that they'd like to tell us what's going on but can't due to internal policies. Obviously something went wrong. Sega West have had repeated layoffs over the past years and probably have considerably less resources than before. The fact that it hasn't been canceled tells me that they still believe there's a chance they can release it.

Personally, even after starting Segalization, I never attempted to hide my opinion on Sega's decision making. I often went into debates with people from Sega's community team on the official forum. That's never been a problem, on the contrary, they seem to appreciate the input. And talking to the individuals working at Sega also gave me more insight in the difficulties they have in their attempts to give the fans what they want. A lot of things we ask them to do may seem easy to us, while the reality might be completely different. That insight changed the way I write some articles on Segalization, but I believe that's a good thing.

I regard this website as the most professional Sega fansite around exactly because they remain respectful both towards the fans and towards the people at Sega. Barry's reason for changing the thread title seems justified to me, I wouldn't want a topic like this on the main page of my website either. Not in the least because there are a lot of people working at Sega of America that really don't deserve this kind of insult.

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2014, 12:31:38 pm »
I assume you're being sarcastic? I genuinely can't tell lol.

Dead serious, and eh I suppose you're right but I just don't like the direction the site's going in.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2014, 01:42:50 pm »
Dead serious, and eh I suppose you're right but I just don't like the direction the site's going in.

Surprised to hear this. I think some of the best stuff the site has done as of recent was secure interviews with people like the ODCM team, Tom & Al, authors, indie devs, and SEGA staff. Also there's the whole SEGA Retro wiki that we plan to integrate, bringing a ton of cool historical data to the site. I don't understand the desire to have us ignore newsing current games just because people hate them - Sonic Boom in particular - or the need for snark-infused news articles. Wouldn't an increase in op-eds be better, as you get the latest stuff happening and writer's takes on it?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2014, 02:56:19 pm »
Ironic Sharky, that you are the one to talk about how people should have free speech, I have never banned anyone on the forums outside of Kogen. If anything, you where the one that wanted to ban someone weekly for having a 'sega sucks' attitude (aka sega sucks as in SEGA Japan, which you disagree with).

No one here has asked you to change your opinion, just the title. We left it, where is all the censorship people on here are talking about?

I haven't even reviewed Boom yet and somehow ... people are assuming I like it. Oh man, check the front page for my review early this week.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2014, 04:30:51 pm »
If I think about it really only Sega of America did shitty stuff...

Europe and Japan's crappy stuff is limited to...Sonic, Monkey Ball being mediocore, the bad Sega Ages releases, Project Altered Beast, and the Shining series departure.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2014, 04:50:51 pm »
I still consider the selling of Sega Racing Studio to be titanically baffling on SOE's part.
Sega Studios Australia's eventual demise over the Stormrise bomb was also a bitter pill to swallow.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2014, 06:27:16 pm »
Ironic Sharky, that you are the one to talk about how people should have free speech, I have never banned anyone on the forums outside of Kogen. If anything, you where the one that wanted to ban someone weekly for having a 'sega sucks' attitude (aka sega sucks as in SEGA Japan, which you disagree with).

Who? When? please list them because this is genuinely not true... I actually fought to keep everyone on this forum and ban absolutely nobody unless necessary. In fact I had the power to ban people and I literally never banned anyone... I even went out of my way to preview every single one of 'Fluffys' posts before he made it just so he wasn't banned, despite somebody PMing me every other day to ban him.... And as soon as that some body became an Admin, Fluffy was banned within 3 days.

And frankly I didn't like the guy any more than anyone else, but to say I wanted to ban people? Bullshit mate.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2014, 06:32:38 pm »
Not going to fight about that, I just don't give a shit if you did or didn't. Regardless, there have only been three people banned on the site and it had nothing to do with 'freedom of speech', so stating that people are being censored here, is a bit insulting.

Now you are pretending that you fought us on our tyrannical moderation, Jesus...

Offline Sharky

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2014, 06:57:09 pm »
What... Where are you getting this from?! I have neither said people were banned over 'freedom of speech' didn't even hint at it, not sure where you got that from.

I didn't say people are being censored either, I'm only saying that when we started out it wasn't like this... When I left SegaNerds its because I fell out with Chris over my Iron Man 2 review, in fact he gave me an alternative of either sending a written apology to SEGA or leaving... I left, because fuck that! I'm not going to be apologetic over my opinion of a game that genuinely was a load of shit. I'm not going to hide the fact that I dislike that now my topic title was changed too 'Shark's corner of negativity' to basically downplay my opinion. That feels a little too far from when we were on MSN bouncing ideas around about how to make the best SEGA blog a few years ago.

And I haven't said anything about tyrannical moderation... I don't think that at all, but if you're going to paint me like a bad guy I'll argue my case, of course. Fluffy was a cunt, I hated him but I genuinely didn't want to ban anyone from the forum in those early days, and people were giving me shit, like I was giving him chances because I liked him or favored him... We fucking hated each other.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 07:01:24 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline Sharky

« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2014, 07:11:20 pm »
Anyway if we're going to talk about this any further, facebook me.
Made by SEGA

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2014, 11:03:16 pm »
Now, please dont argue for Fluff's sake, no one likes that dude, he's always been an ass, even on Sega Boards.

I will say this though, I don't mind what is being shown on the front page(although I don't view it too often). I can at least appreciate that the games being shown vary in popularity. I can't stand Sonic games anymore, but I do want to know what the deal is with Boom. I will trust that as a professional, George will be honest on what he truly things of Boom when reviewing his game.

Let's all take a deep breath and continue to discuss why we either love or hate Sega. Like I've said before, I've been on Sega boards for almost a decade and I'd like to continue to come here for that long as well.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2014, 12:48:00 am »
I agree with Piro in regards to stop taking digs at each other. Let's try and be positive. I know there is a lot of passionate feelings going around but that would be stuff best discussed in private, like Sharky suggested.

So let's either get back on topic, or we should probably close this topic before it turns nasty. No need to keep taking digs at each other.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2014, 03:37:27 am »
Yes but it was many poor decisions in developers that effectively did him
Oh yeah tried to do too many things all at the same time, but there was some bad luck . Like with war game deal with Pandemic only for  EA come along and buy them out .
TA i never said they didn't..but they were charged to reinvigorate old Sega IPs a bit like ATLUS is now and NIGHTS was one of them
You know full well that anything Sonic and anything to do with the Sonic Team goes through SEGA Japan . No doubt in the future Iizuki-san will do a interview and reveal what he really had planned for NiGHTS II and that it was to lead on the 360 and big a Big Budget AAA game, but the board of SEGA Japan thought NiGHTS was child based game and that meant it should be only on the Wii . Never mind that the kids who bought NiGHTS in the 1st place(on the Saturn) would now be adults and that the next gen systems (as the 360 and PS3 then was) were far better able to release a dream world - All these points were made to SOJ and all fell on death ears sadly :( .
But the marketing that happened was well of a confirmation of his fears
The Dubbing that was a SONY America demand and request and there was nothing at all SEGA could do about it . The swearing is something the Japanese team wanted to be put in , but maybe SOA went a bit OTT with it.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2014, 05:50:14 am »
Oh yeah tried to do too many things all at the same time, but there was some bad luck . Like with war game deal with Pandemic only for  EA come along and buy them out .

Why repeat the same thing again..no one said it wasn't true...but bad luck or things not going to plan is expected in this business...Pandemic..bad luck..even though Sega could have reached some deal with them like they had with WB  who owned CONDEMNED and the developers behind it. But the point is there was too many bad decisions anyway so when something bad happened it was always going to fail and the whole thing came crashing down..which is what eventually happened to Jeffery..too bad becaue there was some good games on the pipeline...
You know full well that anything Sonic and anything to do with the Sonic Team goes through SEGA Japan . No doubt in the future Iizuki-san will do a interview and reveal what he really had planned for NiGHTS II and that it was to lead on the 360 and big a Big Budget AAA game, but the board of SEGA Japan thought NiGHTS was child based game and that meant it should be only on the Wii . Never mind that the kids who bought NiGHTS in the 1st place(on the Saturn) would now be adults and that the next gen systems (as the 360 and PS3 then was) were far better able to release a dream world - All these points were made to SOJ and all fell on death ears sadly
Geez.. i never said SOJ didn't approve of anything..just that SOA   screwed up with SONIC and the SOJ IP deal  And this is coming from someone who didn't mind SONIC RIVALS.

Izuka san says lots of things..most of it is BS. NIGHTS 2 was  always going to be a Wii game..if he didn't think that then he's more stupid than i thought he wasizuki-san. Sega in their history as a third party up to that point had never put a mascot kiddie game on the main systems..outside of SONIC..only on Nintendo. So this whole NIGHTS 2 coming for 360 is blauderdash.

but maybe SOA went a bit OTT with it.

Course they did and you know it and Nagoshi knew it. YAKUZA was not the game he wanted portrayed  with the dub release. And really Japan don't have a problem with swearing in their culture..and the culture that YAKUZA is based from is more risque than the game ever showed..i'm surprised we haven't had the lesbian  frontal breast tatooed girls with schoolgirl or traditional japanese or prison  attire with a sword with blood and she is licking from it. YAKUZA is quite tame for a japanese person compared to the cinema and novels of that genre...
So the game is quite tame..i very much doubt that the games would have anything more than borderline swearing since Nag ..is in a position to do anything he wants...

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:57:45 am by ROJM »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2014, 06:03:40 am »
What... Where are you getting this from?! I have neither said people were banned over 'freedom of speech' didn't even hint at it, not sure where you got that from.

I didn't say people are being censored either, I'm only saying that when we started out it wasn't like this... When I left SegaNerds its because I fell out with Chris over my Iron Man 2 review, in fact he gave me an alternative of either sending a written apology to SEGA or leaving... I left, because fuck that! I'm not going to be apologetic over my opinion of a game that genuinely was a load of shit. I'm not going to hide the fact that I dislike that now my topic title was changed too 'Shark's corner of negativity' to basically downplay my opinion. That feels a little too far from when we were on MSN bouncing ideas around about how to make the best SEGA blog a few years ago.

Well if that happened good for you..there's no way you can continue to be called a fan site and be in Sega's pocket at the same time.And i have to agree with Shark...negativity gives the wrong impression..and not taking the topic seriously..its a genuine concern..to many people..especially SOA position in Sega history. But Fkng wasn't great either...SOA a history of bad decisions or  something similar or Why does SOA screw up..or i hate the modern SOA  would have been better and to the point...without really offending anyone.