Author Topic: Sonic Colours Discussion  (Read 269744 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Sonic Colors announced for Wii/DS
« Reply #345 on: August 29, 2010, 09:57:57 pm »
It''s more of a matter with a lot of "game journalists" grew up on the Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo than the Master System or Mega Drive.

Here in the UK, almost all the media outlets support SEGA because the UK was dominated by SEGA in the 80s and 90s. It's why a lot of SEGA games manage to easily make the top 100 (With multiple Sonic games) whilst in America you'd find less SEGA games (And usually only one Sonic game appearing in the list)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #346 on: August 29, 2010, 10:00:27 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Everybody nowadays is like the kid in this commercial: "Sega? Sega who?"
Depends on their age. I think most everyone 30 and under knows who SEGA is, if only due to Sonic.

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #347 on: August 30, 2010, 02:44:19 am »
Quote from: "fernandeath"
Quote from: "Suzuki Yu"
Sonic Colors is not in the '25 most antecipated games of the rest of 2010' list made by Gameinformer

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/arch ... ageIndex=1

Neither is 'vanquish'...

Game Informer you said ?!!

MAN .. they are well known by hating SEGA with passion

Someone in this forum once said Gamespot hates Sega.
Other dude said IGNrance hates sega.
Now you're telling me Game Informer also hates SEGA?

Is there any 'big gaming website' that supports Sega?

nothing compared to GI ... nothing!!

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #348 on: August 30, 2010, 06:00:49 am »
Quote from: "Aki-at"
It''s more of a matter with a lot of "game journalists" grew up on the Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo than the Master System or Mega Drive.

I think it's more the fact that Sega seems to fuck up a whoooole lot with regards to their image.

Their star franchise has been in the toilet for nearly a decade for example, they pulled out of Games Con, and they do publish a lot of shit as well.

Obviously they do a lot of good as well, but... it tends to get overshadowed by the rubbish. Couple that with the rose-tinted glasses we all get when thinking back to the Dreamcast and before, and it's easy to see why Sega cops a raw deal.

But it's not like this forum or people here aren't guilty as well, look at how people trash EA, Activision etc when in reality they make some bloody brilliant games that get ignored.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #349 on: August 30, 2010, 11:31:49 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
I think it's more the fact that Sega seems to fuck up a whoooole lot with regards to their image.

I would say that's a by product of it, because these people take more note of it now, but where does the myth of Sonic being hold right to win by many comes from? Just looking at the first stage of Sonic vs the first 13 of Mario proves which is closer to the hold right for win comment.

I do think SEGA has digged themselves in a hole, but a lot of the rose-tinted Dreamcast glasses a lot of these media outlets wear are mostly fake, like Dreams Dreams never being in the Saturn version of NiGHTS, or Jet Set Radio first appeared on the Xbox and well, it's really endless. They just say it to establish more credibility.

Yes their flagship franchise is in the toilet, but then you have stuff like Virtua Fighter, Football Manager, Total War etc all overlooked, at least when it comes to American media, here in the UK apart from Sonic the Hedgehog's sad decline in form, the press is often a lot more positive towards SEGA due to those games and stuff like The House of the Dead, Virtua Tennis etc I suppose it does not help SEGA probably have more games that appeal to Europeans than Americans too.

So yes, SEGA have dug themselves into a hole but I think it is not helped by people who never owned a Master System or Mega Drive who populate the majority of American video game journalists, evidenced by how everyone "copies" Nintendo. At least in terms to their overall history, it's often overlooked in the American gaming media industry.

Not that it matters at the end of the day, they are opinions and people here in the UK media are also biased in favour of SEGA, such as Silver 06 not getting as much as a bad grade as it should have.

But it's not like this forum or people here aren't guilty as well, look at how people trash EA, Activision etc when in reality they make some bloody brilliant games that get ignored.

Of course they are, but at the end of the day none of us are paid to review games. Although I think people should also note Game Informer is owned by GameStop.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #350 on: August 30, 2010, 02:16:38 pm »
they pulled out of Games Con
The Nintendo booth had Sonic Colors and the Microsoft booth had Sonic 4 and Vanquish. They didn't need to go to Gamescom
I played Sonic Colors there, and I thought it was great.

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #351 on: August 30, 2010, 03:20:06 pm »
I thought sonic colors was at least antecipated by gamers. But the game is just antecipated for 'sonic fans'...

Anyway, I hope the game can reach the 1M sold mark.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #352 on: August 30, 2010, 03:28:16 pm »
Yes their flagship franchise is in the toilet, but then you have stuff like Virtua Fighter, Football Manager, Total War etc all overlooked, at least when it comes to American media, here in the UK apart from Sonic the Hedgehog's sad decline in form, the press is often a lot more positive towards SEGA due to those games and stuff like The House of the Dead, Virtua Tennis etc I suppose it does not help SEGA probably have more games that appeal to Europeans than Americans too.

See, that's part of the problem. They have some brilliant games like that, but they are all incredibly Niche titles. Virtua Fighter, Football Manager and Total War are all great games, but not really high concept games. And when it comes time to make a big mass-market game, or bring back a loved franchise, do they get one of their best teams to do it? No they get Secret Level or Sonic Team, which in turn tarnishes their name badly.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #353 on: August 30, 2010, 05:59:39 pm »
I would say another element of it is just how varied their titles can be. Fans of something like Mario, Kirby and Yoshi tend to all like those series, while fans of Sonic might not be fans of Panzer Dragoon or Clockwork Knight.

A big issue is they also tend to make tons of original IPs all of the time. I think that is cool and all, but so many of them slip through the cracks. In 10 years no one will even remember Alpha Protocol, Sands of Destruction or Viking: Battle for Asgard, and that is pretty sad.

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #354 on: August 30, 2010, 07:59:46 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
In 10 years no one will even remember Alpha Protocol, Sands of Destruction or Viking: Battle for Asgard, and that is pretty sad.

Unfortunatelly you're right.

I'd include "Sonic & The Black Knight" in that list...

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #355 on: August 30, 2010, 08:19:36 pm »
In 10 years no one will even remember Alpha Protocol, Sands of Destruction or Viking: Battle for Asgard, and that is pretty sad.

The sooner people forget about Sonic & the black knight the better.
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #356 on: August 30, 2010, 08:57:11 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"

The sooner people forget about Sonic & the black knight the better.
I love you man

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

« Reply #357 on: August 31, 2010, 10:51:15 am »
Here in the UK, almost all the media outlets support SEGA because the UK was dominated by SEGA in the 80s and 90s. It's why a lot of SEGA games manage to easily make the top 100 (With multiple Sonic games) whilst in America you'd find less SEGA games (And usually only one Sonic game appearing in the list)

I don't think this is the reason. The Genesis was a HUGE success in the US. And the Dreamcast was a big success in the US as well, compared to the lackluster sales in Europe.

Today, SEGA of Europe has a much better image than SEGA of America. So that could be a factor.

But I like the theory someone mentioned a while back. That Nintendo fans eventually grew up to be "game reviewers", but SEGA fans grew up to have real jobs.  :lol:

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #358 on: August 31, 2010, 11:15:26 am »
Quote from: "Dr. SEGA Monkey"
I don't think this is the reason. The Genesis was a HUGE success in the US. And the Dreamcast was a big success in the US as well, compared to the lackluster sales in Europe.

The Mega Drive was a bigger success in Europe than in the United States. Furthermore the SNES easily outdid the Mega Drive in America, whilst the Mega Drive beat the SNES easily in Europe (And so did the Master System vs the NES here too) and the sales were a success in Europe too for the Dreamcast, at least intially but much like in America, died off with the PS2 was announced.

Furthermore, the SEGA Saturn was a stronger success in Europe than America, but it still failed of course.

Quote from: "Dr. SEGA Monkey"
But I like the theory someone mentioned a while back. That Nintendo fans eventually grew up to be "game reviewers", but SEGA fans grew up to have real jobs.  :lol:

That's the point I was making. Nintendo consoles have been bigger successes in America as opposed to Europe, where SEGA had a stronghold until the SEGA Saturn and then a slow decline begun.

Also pretty sure I was the one that gave that idea to Sanus too.

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

« Reply #359 on: August 31, 2010, 12:37:59 pm »
I wouldn't say the SNES "easily" beat the Genesis in the US. Genesis was ahead for a while, and the only reason websites list SNES numbers so much higher than the Genesis numbers is because the Genesis numbers are based on incomplete totals of only certain models in certain regions. I'm pretty sure the Genesis sold 35-40 million worldwide as opposed to the smaller "29 million" number you see copy and pasted all over the internet. There's all kinds of evidence for this.

So it was pretty close.